Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHAT TO SORT OUT BEFORE WE GO?

WHAT TO SORT OUT BEFORE WE GO?

Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Question WHAT TO SORT OUT BEFORE WE GO?

Hi I'm sorry if this is repeated in another thread but couldn't find anything having a quick look.

I just wondered what can we sort out from this end before we go? We've chosen Melbourne to live, we've never been but think that's what would suit us, well, me best. (hubby's not bothered and kids too young to care!).
I just keep wondering when we get off the plane on the other side we're gonna stand there and say "right, now what?" no house, no car, no nothing. What can we sort out from this end so we're not totally lost??

Thanks for any input in advance
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WHAT TO SORT OUT BEFORE WE GO?

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Hi I'm sorry if this is repeated in another thread but couldn't find anything having a quick look.

I just wondered what can we sort out from this end before we go? We've chosen Melbourne to live, we've never been but think that's what would suit us, well, me best. (hubby's not bothered and kids too young to care!).
I just keep wondering when we get off the plane on the other side we're gonna stand there and say "right, now what?" no house, no car, no nothing. What can we sort out from this end so we're not totally lost??

Thanks for any input in advance
Lots on here, just research it all on internet as well, you can book a car at the airport or via the net, might be best to look at places to stay for a few weeks and get booked up before you arrive especially if with youngsters, less to worry about for first few days the better
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:21 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
You can sort out a lot of it if you want. We've sorted a house (long term rental), car (used), broadband, banks, etc, etc. But it probably depends on how much time you have available over here (the more you sort the more time it takes) vs. time in Oz. If you need to be up and running over there as fast as possible, sort more out in advance.

I reckon the minimum would be somewhere to stay for a few weeks, a car to drive and a bank account.

Cheers
b
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Thanks for your replies, if anyones got any useful websites to get me started that would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:40 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this thread for loads of info:- http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774

Housing - www.realestate.com.au
Banking - www.anz.com.au
www.westpac.com.au
www.commbank.com.au
Medical - www.medicare.com.au
Cars - www.drive.com.au
Car hire - www.airportrentacar.com.au
www.hertz.com.au

Hope this helps.
Julie. x
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your help everyone so much to sort out!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

I would suggest sorting out a bank account, I opened one with ANZ whilst I was in the UK and just had to go into a branch when I arrived. Book accom for 2 weeks or so, hire a car with sat nav.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

spy_yar84 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you get off the plane you will be buggered, I would suggest booking a hotel or apartment in the city on the tinterweb and base yourself there for a week or so. Just jump in a cab when you arrive at the airport should cost about 60 bucks, that way you won't be stressed about directions, where to park etc and you can get a bit of kip. You can usually find good prices on hotels and apartments at www.wotif.com
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

spy_yar84 is an unknown quantity at this point

don't bother with a sat nav pick up a melways for 25 bucks, it'll help you get the hang of the place, that is if you can read a map!