Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what sort of fees can I expect to pay for schooling

what sort of fees can I expect to pay for schooling

Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:43 am
Just Joined

stumpyandstretch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what sort of fees can I expect to pay for schooling

Hi all , a little bit new to this ..I was wondering roughly how much school fees are likely to be in Adelaide . We have four children age 14,11,9,7 and are seriously considering the move to Adelaide ..however we have some things to think about first ..for example to cost of schooling for the children and also comprehensive medical insurance prices ..if anyone could possibly give us any kind of guidance that would be fantastic .
Many thanks
Old Jan 6th 2012, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what sort of fees can I expect to pay for schooling

Private or government? What visa will you be on? A couple of questions to help us out a bit more!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by itigo
Private or government? What visa will you be on? A couple of questions to help us out a bit more!
Hi was looking at government .
We are hoping to come out on a sponsored work visa and also then apply for a p.r visa

Any advice is greatly received
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stumpyandstretch
We are hoping to come out on a sponsored work visa and also then apply for a p.r visa

Public schools are from around $150 per year, depending on area. Private you'd be looking at $2k per child +

Uniforms can vary considerably in cost. Some don't have any as such, others do. There's also books on top (stationery etc)

Medical Insurance I am unsure about as I don't have private cover (I'm a single parent with a low income! ) - try looking at Medibank Private for an idea
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Gullygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,we have two children at a Government primary school,fees are $280 per child per year.Uniform is extra but all books and stationary are included in the fees.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gullygirl
Hi,we have two children at a Government primary school,fees are $280 per child per year.Uniform is extra but all books and stationary are included in the fees.
Wish they were at my daughters school. Smiggles costs me a fortune!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you come on a 457 (employer sponsored) be very careful which State you end up in. NSW (and maybe others, not sure....) charge full overseas fees for schooling on a 457.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all , a little bit new to this ..I was wondering roughly how much school fees are likely to be in Adelaide . We have four children age 14,11,9,7 and are seriously considering the move to Adelaide ..however we have some things to think about first ..for example to cost of schooling for the children and also comprehensive medical insurance prices ..if anyone could possibly give us any kind of guidance that would be fantastic .
Many thanks

Both kids in state school in qld, we pay around $170 each child for book packs at the start of the year, uniform start at $30 per shirt and around for shorts, $50 school bag, $20 school hat.... it all adds up. To kit out my son for high school in a few weeks we didn't get any change out of $400.

They go on school camp at least once a a year $200, they have lots of trips and other in house learning things going on. honestly every week we are paying out for something.

Private schools in our area (northern brisbane) start from $5k per year all the way up to $17k per year per child.

We don't have medical insurance so can't help with that, good luck with your decision.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy
Public schools are from around $150 per year, depending on area. Private you'd be looking at $2k per child +

Uniforms can vary considerably in cost. Some don't have any as such, others do. There's also books on top (stationery etc)

Medical Insurance I am unsure about as I don't have private cover (I'm a single parent with a low income! ) - try looking at Medibank Private for an idea

should probably add that my daughter is in school in South Australia, and her school fee last year was $180 plus books and uniform. I say uniform, but she wears a blue polo shirt (bought a 2 pack from Target for under $10) and a pair of jeans (or they can wear jogging pants or whatever they want so long as they are blue or black).

My son has left school now, but his last school fee was $240 for the year, plus books and uniform - again they wear blue polo shirts and jeans there too.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you come on a 457 (employer sponsored) be very careful which State you end up in. NSW (and maybe others, not sure....) charge full overseas fees for schooling on a 457.
Hi,in South australia,457 visa holders pay the same as Aus citizens and PR visa holders.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone . My husband had an interview on Skype for work and was told that we should expect to pay $3000 per child , per year....we have fourschool age children ..ouchy ..was told that it was because of the visa ..also was told because of the 457 visa that we have Jo have a comprehensive medical insurance too ..which is expensive.
All this kinda dashed our hopes slightly but I refuse to give up yet as it all seemed a little crazy .
Thanks again everyone .
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks everyone . My husband had an interview on Skype for work and was told that we should expect to pay $3000 per child , per year....we have fourschool age children ..ouchy ..was told that it was because of the visa ..also was told because of the 457 visa that we have Jo have a comprehensive medical insurance too ..which is expensive.
All this kinda dashed our hopes slightly but I refuse to give up yet as it all seemed a little crazy .
Thanks again everyone .
I'm pretty sure that you can send your kids to public school, and only pay the usual fee in SA.

You would need to get insurance on a temp visa yes, but you will be covered by medicare for some things. I don't know enough on medical insurance to be able to help you.

Is there no way they would consider sponsoring you for PR straight away? maybe a RSMS or ENS Visa?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

My husband has a friend who has gone to SA on a 457 and his kids go to state school and they do not pay any fees different from citizens and perm residents.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: what sort of fees can I expect to pay for schooling

Thanks again everyone .
Hi,I can assure you that the person who interviewed your husband is mistaken.
$3000 would be about right for Catholic primary school fees,I have a friend whose children are at a Catholic school,she pays around that I think.
457 visa holders pay the same as everyone else,with the exception of school card holders who pay less.Newly arrived migrants can apply for school card,details are on the SA Governments education website.
In addition,our school allows parents who do not qualify for school card to pay fees in instalments,and I would imagine that most schools would be the same in this respect.

We have recently taken out full medical insurance and are paying $300 per month,but this includes dental check ups for us and two children ,eyeglasses ,one pair a year each and things like physio and ambulance cover.Last year,two pairs of glasses for my then 7 year old son cost $350 alone, dental exam ,expect to pay $50 plus,a filling last year cost me $200 plus $125 for a clean!!!!
Bear in mind that once you have PR you would not be required to have private medical insurance
I would advise you to look into the cost of everything here before you make a final decision,there is lots of helpful advice on this website,and lots of threads about the cost of living here.