Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What size of car to hire??

What size of car to hire??

Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Jim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really nice
Default What size of car to hire??

We're arriving in Brisbane on 6th September and are looking to hire a car that we can pick up at the airport and keep until we get around to buying one. Were looking at Thrifty's as they seem reasonably priced. However, can anyone suggest what size of car to go for? I know that they have the little people figures and cases which are supposed to tell you what would suit you best, but unsure how big to go as we'll have 4 large suitcases, 4 people and a set of golfclubs.

Would appreciate any advice on car hire firms, etc, that people have used and found good.

Ta,
Susan
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:54 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of
Default Re: What size of car to hire??

I tend to use europcar, have always found them to be good value (particularly if you hunt around on the net - it's amazing what prices you can get through some broker websites like DriveNow and DIYCarHire vs going direct.)

As for size, I'd go for the next size up than you think you really need - I'm sure that whoever draws up the specs for these cars in terms of people and bags has actually never hired a car / travelled with lots of luggage in their life!

We hired a Nissan Xtrail the time before last and found it to be great for size (2 x adults plus child with carry cot, pram, sterliser, box of formula etc etc etc plus one or two grandparents). Last time we tried to hire the same thing (intermediate 4WD) and got a Mitsubishi something-or-other ... nice to drive but the boot space was cr * p. When you get to the hire company, ask if they have any upgrades available, explaining that you'll need extra boot space. The other trick we have tried a few times (and it has worked) is to hang back at the end of the car hire queue when everyone is getting off the plane ... sometimes they run out of cars (becuase they allow for no-shows) and have upgraded us automatically. Not guaranteed but worth a try!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:59 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim&Sus
We're arriving in Brisbane on 6th September and are looking to hire a car that we can pick up at the airport and keep until we get around to buying one. Were looking at Thrifty's as they seem reasonably priced. However, can anyone suggest what size of car to go for? I know that they have the little people figures and cases which are supposed to tell you what would suit you best, but unsure how big to go as we'll have 4 large suitcases, 4 people and a set of golfclubs.

Would appreciate any advice on car hire firms, etc, that people have used and found good.

Ta,
Susan
Hi Susan
Your hire from the airport will be more expensive than a local firm, so hire your airport car for the minimum required amount, which is usually about 7 days. Then return it and hire one from a local firm and save yourself money.

Thrifty are good, although Red Spot are better.
http://www.redspotrentals.com.au/v2/

If you've got 4 large suitcases, plus hand luggage, and laptops (?) it might be that you need to go for the large MPV type car - in Thrifty's case, they offer the following:

Kia Carnival or similar - Auto & Air
Kia Pregio or similar - Manual & Air
Toyota Tarago or similar (Spacia - NT) - Auto & Air

I have what they class as a 'large car' and there's no way we'd fit 4 suitcases and handluggage in... it just wouldn't work.
You will need comfort too, given long flights and the MPV's are usually no more expensive (IME) than the large cars.

Oh, and can I implore you to book your car before you leave the UK? I have been at the airport and got the last car as we booked ahead and many many people turned up expecting instant hire and not able to get it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by iPom; Aug 9th 2006 at 11:02 am.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:07 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Hi Susan
Your hire from the airport will be more expensive than a local firm, so hire your airport car for the minimum required amount, which is usually about 7 days. Then return it and hire one from a local firm and save yourself money.

Thrifty are good, although Red Spot are better.
http://www.redspotrentals.com.au/v2/

If you've got 4 large suitcases, plus hand luggage, and laptops (?) it might be that you need to go for the large MPV type car - in Thrifty's case, they offer the following:

Kia Carnival or similar - Auto & Air
Kia Pregio or similar - Manual & Air
Toyota Tarago or similar (Spacia - NT) - Auto & Air

I have what they class as a 'large car' and there's no way we'd fit 4 suitcases and handluggage in... it just wouldn't work.
You will need comfort too, given long flights and the MPV's are usually no more expensive (IME) than the large cars.

Oh, and can I implore you to book your car before you leave the UK? I have been at the airport and got the last car as we booked ahead and many many people turned up expecting instant hire and not able to get it.

Hope that helps.
Would you think a Pajero be big enough to fit them and their luggage in with someone driving?

Cheeres

Ginny
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stitch
Would you think a Pajero be big enough to fit them and their luggage in with someone driving?

Cheeres

Ginny

Hi Ginny

The Pajero is ok, but I find that the boot space is lacking. It's probably possible but with 4 big suitcases and then hand luggage on top of that... I wouldn't like to risk it but it depends on how many people there are - If there's only two, you can use the back seat too. If you've got children, go for something roomier.

We hired an MPV, because we have three children. So we had them in the back, plus us in the front and the back packed with all the bags... we had 12 pieces of luggage in all, including hand luggage and a childs buggy. We just about squeezed ourselves in.
I would say that you need to overestimate what you need, because it's painful enough getting off a long flight and then having to play Tetris with your luggage! Remember you may also have duty free bags, and laptops if you're bringing one with you... It takes up more room than you think.
It's only for a few days... make the first drive comfortable.

Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:27 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ginny

The Pajero is ok, but I find that the boot space is lacking. It's probably possible but with 4 big suitcases and then hand luggage on top of that... I wouldn't like to risk it but it depends on how many people there are - If there's only two, you can use the back seat too. If you've got children, go for something roomier.

We hired an MPV, because we have three children. So we had them in the back, plus us in the front and the back packed with all the bags... we had 12 pieces of luggage in all, including hand luggage and a childs buggy. We just about squeezed ourselves in.
I would say that you need to overestimate what you need, because it's painful enough getting off a long flight and then having to play Tetris with your luggage! Remember you may also have duty free bags, and laptops if you're bringing one with you... It takes up more room than you think.
It's only for a few days... make the first drive comfortable.

I ask cause we've got the Pajero and I could go and pick them up. So it would be me then the 4 of them and their luggage. Not sure if it'd all fit?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:35 am
Account Closed

I ask cause we've got the Pajero and I could go and pick them up. So it would be me then the 4 of them and their luggage. Not sure if it'd all fit?

Cheers

Ginny

LOL - well get a couple of large suitcases and see how they fit, and then times by two.

The Pajero 'claims' to have cavernous boot space but I haven't found that to be true... But if you've got it, try it out first.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:36 am
Ok this isn't so bad

LOL - well get a couple of large suitcases and see how they fit, and then times by two.

The Pajero 'claims' to have cavernous boot space but I haven't found that to be true... But if you've got it, try it out first.

I can see it now......everyone and the suitcases in our garage! I think I might need another wee wine....Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:38 am
Account Closed

I can see it now......everyone and the suitcases in our garage! I think I might need another wee wine....Cheers

Ginny

A wee wine is a jolly good idea.

Cheers!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:39 am
Ok this isn't so bad

A wee wine is a jolly good idea.

Cheers!

Make that a large.......then I must be off tae bed..Work early in the morning

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Sleep well
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

peterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant future

hi jim&susan
we hired a holden station wagon when we arrived should be plenty of room
it was for us where are you going to stay
are you still going to the collage at the gold coast
a girl agnes knows travels from gold coast to brisbane
as she thinks collage is small
agnes started 3 weeks ago
peter&agnes
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:42 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by peterinblack
hi jim&susan
we hired a holden station wagon when we arrived should be plenty of room
it was for us where are you going to stay
are you still going to the collage at the gold coast
a girl agnes knows travels from gold coast to brisbane
as she thinks collage is small
agnes started 3 weeks ago
peter&agnes

Hi guys,

Hope the course is going well Agnes. Are you based at the Brisbane or Gold Coast College?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:04 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim&Sus

Ta,
Susan

Mate any car will do. If you are going to need a car for a few weeks then get a small cheap car and just hirs a taxi to take you bags home, cant cost too much $30 maybe depends on how far you have to travel.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Mate any car will do. If you are going to need a car for a few weeks then get a small cheap car and just hirs a taxi to take you bags home, cant cost too much $30 maybe depends on how far you have to travel.

IF they were coming to the Blue Mountains from Sydney airport, it would cost......

a fortune

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.