Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are Showbags?

Wikiposts

What are Showbags?

Old Sep 10th 2006, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are Showbags?

A friend is has said she is going to send my kids a couple of "Showbags" from the Royal Melbourne Show. What are they, are they an Aussie thing, or am I just completely stuck in the dark ages?

Thanks
Old Sep 10th 2006, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What are Showbags?

Originally Posted by ginaf
A friend is has said she is going to send my kids a couple of "Showbags" from the Royal Melbourne Show. What are they, are they an Aussie thing, or am I just completely stuck in the dark ages?

Thanks
A bag full of tat for children
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
A bag full of tat for children

It is the wierdest idea I have come across - to my simple world anyway. They (the shows) have these huge huge marquees/sheds full of stalls selling these bags that are full of either chocolates, toys, crap, rubbish magazines and tell you that you are getting $80 worth of stuff for $10 - wow you think, until you buy the bag and find that half the value is from money off vouchers for stuff you will never want

In fairness, I think they started out as publicity bags for companies and were possibly value for money but now they are a quick way of parents being robbed of their money for the sake of some piece and quiet from the kids
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

A bag of crap, that will cost you the earth!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the answers, I get it now. sounds a bit like the fairgrounds in the U.K where you pay £2 for a child to "win a prize every time" and it is a piece of tat worth 20p.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ginaf
Thanks for the answers, I get it now. sounds a bit like the fairgrounds in the U.K where you pay £2 for a child to "win a prize every time" and it is a piece of tat worth 20p.

You got it!!!

keep ya money in ya pocket!!!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:25 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the Melbourne Show nearly every year and as a child this was the best bit!!
When I was a kid (over 20+years ago ) they were a carrier bag with goodies in. There was competition over choice of cartoonie ones of that moment ie. My little pony, He-Man and confectionary like Cadbury's or Nestle. We would drag parents around to see which had the most chocolate . (no change there then!)
As a child I thought it was absolutely fantastic .
J x
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Show bags used to be free as they were for companies and the country to show their product to the city folk. But like everything companies saw it a way to make money and now ended up with crap in the bags for rediculous prices.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Show bags used to be free as they were for companies and the country to show their product to the city folk. But like everything companies saw it a way to make money and now ended up with crap in the bags for rediculous prices.
Quite correct - they used to be called "sample bags"!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Quite correct - they used to be called "sample bags"!

Oooh I've learned something today.

As a kid, we were always allowed two each year (good old Geelong Show). This was how I first came across mint patties and golden rough.........didnt buy my first of either of these tho until I was well in my 20s, but the subliminal marketing must have worked.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

As a kid, we were always allowed two each year (good old Geelong Show). This was how I first came across mint patties and golden rough.........didnt buy my first of either of these tho until I was well in my 20s, but the subliminal marketing must have worked.
mmmmm, Golden Rough.
j
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Bet you don't remember when they were 20c?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Bet you don't remember when they were 20c?

The choccies or the showbag? Answer is no to both! Showbags: $2.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

The choccies or the showbag? Answer is no to both! Showbags: $2.
No meant the Golden Roughs! 20c showbags - not that old (yet)!

Have a look at how expensive they have got nowadays and the selection:

http://royalshow.com.au/showbags.asp?searchMode=2

We'll be broke by the end of the day! :scared:
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No meant the Golden Roughs! 20c showbags - not that old (yet)!

Have a look at how expensive they have got nowadays and the selection:

http://royalshow.com.au/showbags.asp?searchMode=2

We'll be broke by the end of the day! :scared:

There are sooooo many of them! I see that the 2 buck bag still exists tho, but I bet that it wouldnt keep me chocolate for a week like they did when i was a little un.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.