Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should you have taken ?

What should you have taken ?

Old Apr 6th 2003, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What should you have taken ?

For those in Oz, is there anything you wish you had bought here and taken with you.

For the ladies any make up products or such like you wish you had bought a shed load of here and taken with you.

Thanks in advance

Chris & Donna
Old Apr 6th 2003, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

'Gap' doesn't exist in OZ, so stock up before you go !!
Old Apr 7th 2003, 12:42 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Interested
'Gap' doesn't exist in OZ, so stock up before you go !!
There is a Gap in The Rocks in Sydney harbour and another one at Sydney Airport.
They are small, with a limited stock and the prices are high, but its definitely here if you know where to look. We have'nt found a 'Next' though, and friends who have searched far and wide say they are convinced there are none in Oz. Thats one shop my wife has sorely missed.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

I am not too bothered about clothes. Well she might be but I am not. !!

More interested in larger items that might be cheaper to buy here rather than Oz, for example CD player, tools, laptops, that type of stuff.

Anything that now you are in Oz have gone to buy and thought, wish I had bought that in UK.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 1:06 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by karawara88
I am not too bothered about clothes. Well she might be but I am not. !!

More interested in larger items that might be cheaper to buy here rather than Oz, for example CD player, tools, laptops, that type of stuff.

Anything that now you are in Oz have gone to buy and thought, wish I had bought that in UK.
No, nothing.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 1:37 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: What should you have taken ?

For those in Oz, is there anything you wish you had bought here and taken with you.

For the ladies any make up products or such like you wish you had bought a shed load of here and taken with you.

Thanks in advance

Chris & Donna
Tools
Tools such as mig welders and such, even tools such as socket sets - the good quality ones , not the cheapies. Hubby has a heap of tools packed away back in the UK and wished he brought them with him - especially the mig.

The only thing I wish I had, is food stuff, but that is consumables.

I can't comment on electrical stuff, the prices between UK and Aus, I've been out of the country for too long (11 years bar holidays), but they are far more expensive compared to Singapore, where I bought most of my stuff from - but if a dvd player is anything to go by for comparrisment in prices : Our first player over here (a cheapy) was about $245, my father in law bought a similar model in Asda for 100 pounds - so that works out near enough the same.

Wooden furniture I find more expensive here, the good quality stuff, dining tables, display cabinets - even good solid wooden beds. If you have good stuff don't sell it bring it here with you - it costs a fortune to replace.

Clothes - not so much more expensive here, than very boring.
Still on the subject of clothes - here's one for you to bring - Rugby Jerseys, I'm serious, especially with the world cup coming up - bring some English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish ones - buy them secondhand and sell them on Ebay Aus here - you'll make a packet! You'll have no prob selling them over here.
I had to order my Welsh ones from the UK, which still worked out cheaper in the long run , and everytime I do manage to see one on Ebay Australia- they reach really stupid prices. Maybe football stuff is the same - I don't know, I'm not a soccer fan.

But besides that - I can't really think of anything else.

cheers
Old Apr 7th 2003, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that, I will be taking a trip to Costco to get some tools. !!

Decided to get rid of my old tatty ones and was going to replace in OZ will now do it here.

Good idea about rugby jerseys. I will take a look on ebay and see what other stuff might be worth keeping or getting hold of. have a load of Beatles stuff that I was going to get rid of here but been told I would get better price there. !!
Old Apr 7th 2003, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri

Wooden furniture I find more expensive here, the good quality stuff, dining tables, display cabinets - even good solid wooden beds. If you have good stuff don't sell it bring it here with you - it costs a fortune to replace.

cheers
Hi,

How easy is it to sell good quality carved furniture in teakwood or rose wood in Aus and will I get a good price for it? We have lots and lots of furniture (the size of the rooms/houses here are really huge compared to Aus. )

Nina

Last edited by NinaU; Apr 7th 2003 at 4:15 am.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 4:28 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance

Chris & Donna
A return ticket is most important after that bring all you can starting again from zero is not easy to replace most things here is expensive and quality is poor , we get the cast offs that cannot be sold in europe from China plus localy made stuff is either dear or rubbish.

Old Apr 7th 2003, 4:29 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by NinaU
Hi,

How easy is it to sell good quality carved furniture in teakwood or rose wood in Aus and will I get a good price for it? We have lots and lots of furniture (the size of the rooms/houses here are really huge compared to Aus. )

Nina

http://pages.ebay.com.au/buy/index.html (look under antique furniture as well as the "normal furniture" under household goods) - a lot of it is just pure Junk

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/main.asp?state=QLD (this is the biggest small ad paper in Aus , they sell in the shops/garages . which is online too - select your region)

I'd love some old antique furniture from back home. I used to go to the antique auctions in Britain ( my father is an antique dealer) , wish I'd bought a heap of stuff to bring out here. It's hard getting really lovely old wooden furniture here, and when you do come across something, it's a ridiculous price.

Oh I'd die for a real British antique auction, or even to nose around some of the boot sales back home - pile of junk here. The so- called antiques here are rubbish. When I used to live in Britain, there used to be this one guy who would travel to Britain from Aus - he basically used to buy out my fathers stock in his shop and sell them here in his shop in Aus. He always used to say "the Aussies can't get enough of them".- now I know why!, It is hard getting some really nice antique furniture here for decent prices.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 5:10 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by pommie bastard
A return ticket is most important after that bring all you can starting again from zero is not easy to replace most things here is expensive and quality is poor , we get the cast offs that cannot be sold in europe from China plus localy made stuff is either dear or rubbish.

You're not far wrong. I made the mistake of selling everything, and storing the things I didn't want to sell in our parents loft/garage. I went to Singapore with just a suitcase of clothes. started from scratch. To replace everything cost us a bl**ding fortune. I did not make that same mistake again, when we left Singapore, all we sold was the fridge, beds, and "odds and sods" .

Actually I wish I never sold the fridge too, it was a nice big one, more expensive here - we didn't actually sell it - we gave it away to an Aussie expat in Sing on our last day there- scrounging g*t

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 7th 2003 at 5:13 am.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Ceri
http://pages.ebay.com.au/buy/index.html (look under antique furniture as well as the "normal furniture" under household goods) - a lot of it is just pure Junk

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/main.asp?state=QLD (this is the biggest small ad paper in Aus , they sell in the shops/garages . which is online too - select your region)

I'd love some old antique furniture from back home. I used to go to the antique auctions in Britain ( my father is an antique dealer) , wish I'd bought a heap of stuff to bring out here. It's hard getting really lovely old wooden furniture here, and when you do come across something, it's a ridiculous price.

Oh I'd die for a real British antique auction, or even to nose around some of the boot sales back home - pile of junk here. The so- called antiques here are rubbish. When I used to live in Britain, there used to be this one guy who would travel to Britain from Aus - he basically used to buy out my fathers stock in his shop and sell them here in his shop in Aus. He always used to say "the Aussies can't get enough of them".- now I know why!, It is hard getting some really nice antique furniture here for decent prices.
Hi Ceri,
What about good quality carved teakwood/rosewood furniture that are not antique? Or is the demand there for antiques only?
I bought some of my furniture when we were posted in India.

Nina
Old Apr 7th 2003, 5:50 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Hi Ceri,
What about good quality carved teakwood/rosewood furniture that are not antique? Or is the demand there for antiques only?
I bought some of my furniture when we were posted in India.

Nina
There are lots of S & SE Asian new teak furniture here. It tends to be rough and cheap. Carved blanket boxes and the like are grossly over stocked.

Clean lined Edwardian pieces seem quite popular. Victorian suit some but most thing it a bit stuffy.

Get advice from a dealer in your destination? Check the trading post as suggested by Ceri.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Megalania
. It tends to be rough and cheap. Carved blanket boxes and the like are grossly over stocked.

Clean lined Edwardian pieces seem quite popular. Victorian suit some but most thing it a bit stuffy.
"There are lots of S & SE Asian new teak furniture here"

That would be from Malaysia, Indonesia - right?

I plan to keep the my antique furmiture (sentimental reasons) for life. The other teak wood furniture is about 15 years old - but very good quality and heavily carved, which we bought in India. I was wondering if I could sell that in Aus.
We are posted in the Midde East now, and there are no antique dealers here. Meanwhile I shall check the sites suggested by Ceri.

Thanks

Nina
Old Apr 7th 2003, 7:50 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

"There are lots of S & SE Asian new teak furniture here"

That would be from Malaysia, Indonesia - right?

I plan to keep the my antique furmiture (sentimental reasons) for life. The other teak wood furniture is about 15 years old - but very good quality and heavily carved, which we bought in India. I was wondering if I could sell that in Aus.
We are posted in the Midde East now, and there are no antique dealers here. Meanwhile I shall check the sites suggested by Ceri.

Thanks

Nina
Bring it, sell slow, you'll be OK or at least better than selling to second hand dealer in W Asia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.