Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should I take?

What should I take?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:17 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What should I take?

We are moving to Melbourne in about June/July this year and I can't wait! :scared: The company that are employing my husband are going to pay for relocation expenses ie shipping of 'stuff' etc but I am wondering what to take. I guess that televisions don't work but what about white goods etc. I wasn't going to bother and was going to buy new when I got there but now I am thinking that maybe I should.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: What should I take?

Take the whole lot........you will find that you will need it, and it will cost a fortune to replace.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:22 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vanessa
We are moving to Melbourne in about June/July this year and I can't wait! :scared: The company that are employing my husband are going to pay for relocation expenses ie shipping of 'stuff' etc but I am wondering what to take. I guess that televisions don't work but what about white goods etc. I wasn't going to bother and was going to buy new when I got there but now I am thinking that maybe I should.
Hi Vanessa,
If someone was paying for us to relocate then I'd take everything, wouldn't matter if it didn't fit then, lol. As for TV's I think they will work if you add a receiver to them. I'm sure someone will clear this up. I wouldn't bother with your Fridge/freezer as they won't cope with heat but if you have a newish front loader machine, take it.
Best wishes
Sarah
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We bought our TV's with us. they dont pick up normal telly, but they are fine to watch videos on. My 2 boys alos have their old portables set up in their rooms so they can play their playstaions/X- boxes.
It works out really expensive to replace it all. You estimate how much your stuff is worth including all the kitchen ware. then allow more as the houses here are a lot bigger.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:32 pm

Thanks for that. I am still trying to get my head around everything at the moment. It has all come as a bit of a surprise to me. First we were moving in England and then he was approached by a company in Australia and before I knew it we are off!! I only met him in January 2004 (married on Christmas eve) and I have changed towns in England, job and lifestyle and now a new country. Who said your life couldn't change overnight!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:34 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Take everything - as much as you can squeeze into that container.

My ex company paid for us to relocate back to Australia, even paid for my 2 cats to fly down (apparently they were classed as "household goods" LOL )

The cost of 'fixing' anything that didnt work is peanuts in comparison to what you will save by having the moving costs paid for you. Regardless you still come out $$$$ ahead.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:35 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that. I am still trying to get my head around everything at the moment. It has all come as a bit of a surprise to me. First we were moving in England and then he was approached by a company in Australia and before I knew it we are off!! I only met him in January 2004 (married on Christmas eve) and I have changed towns in England, job and lifestyle and now a new country. Who said your life couldn't change overnight!
Bring some warm clothes to Vanessa, remember June / July over here can be pretty chilly.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
Bring some warm clothes to Vanessa, remember June / July over here can be pretty chilly.
NOt what I wanted to hear but did look at the weather stats for Melbourne and guessed it wasn't hot in the winter. It will be like one long winter/spring before summer begins for me. I am going to get a week in Italy or somewhere before I come - I will need it!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice

HI!!

We are hopeing to arrive in Melbourne in July.
We are taking everything with us, if the company is paying for it go for it!!
It will save you all the hassle and expense of getting EVERYTHING new when you arrive.

Do you have any ideas of which area you want to live in yet?

Roni
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Aus4us
HI!!

We are hopeing to arrive in Melbourne in July.
We are taking everything with us, if the company is paying for it go for it!!
It will save you all the hassle and expense of getting EVERYTHING new when you arrive.

Do you have any ideas of which area you want to live in yet?

Roni
No idea at the moment. We had thought about Brighton/Toorak or along that coast. We believe that these areas are within community distance of Melbourne. However, we are not going to look until we arrive - the company are putting us up in a hotel for the first few months so we have a bit of time to look (hopefully!) What about you?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:34 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

No idea at the moment. We had thought about Brighton/Toorak or along that coast. We believe that these areas are within community distance of Melbourne. However, we are not going to look until we arrive - the company are putting us up in a hotel for the first few months so we have a bit of time to look (hopefully!) What about you?

Yikes, Brighton / Toorak !! I take it you have recently won the lottery then.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:06 pm

Yikes, Brighton / Toorak !! I take it you have recently won the lottery then.
Are the prices that bad then?

Vanessa
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:20 pm
The Godfather

Are the prices that bad then?

Vanessa
Pretty much yeah, thats where all the TV stars & Sports stars live.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:22 pm

Pretty much yeah, thats where all the TV stars & Sports stars live.

My husband calls me a Princess so should feel at home there then!!!!!!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:26 pm
The Godfather

My husband calls me a Princess so should feel at home there then!!!!!!
In Toorak Estate agents, the photos of the houses for sale are all framed with oak frames, thats how elite it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.