Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should I say to work - they don't know

What should I say to work - they don't know

Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:02 am
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future
Default What should I say to work - they don't know

Hi
On another of my posts I've been told that sometimes DIMIA contact work to check it out. I have not told my work yet. I get on very well with them all and would return there if it didn't work out in Oz. What should I tell them if DIMIA do contact my work. I want to stay vague with them so that they don't know that I am definitely going to Oz, as this may affect future pay rises / bonus's between now I when I finally do leave.

What did everyone else tell their work, I want to stay on good terms with them and I know they will not be problematic with me, as when I told them I was going to Oz for a year out they were very good with me.

Therefore, what did you all tell your work, when DIMIA checked out references, etc.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What should I say to work - they don't know

If you work for a big enough company it should all be done through the HR department, who are obliged to respect your wishes about not informing you boss.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 9:00 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shaun&Dee
Hi
On another of my posts I've been told that sometimes DIMIA contact work to check it out. I have not told my work yet. I get on very well with them all and would return there if it didn't work out in Oz. What should I tell them if DIMIA do contact my work. I want to stay vague with them so that they don't know that I am definitely going to Oz, as this may affect future pay rises / bonus's between now I when I finally do leave.

What did everyone else tell their work, I want to stay on good terms with them and I know they will not be problematic with me, as when I told them I was going to Oz for a year out they were very good with me.

Therefore, what did you all tell your work, when DIMIA checked out references, etc.
Shaun & Dee,
my advice would be to keep it to your self for as long as you can!

People have a whole new view when it comes out and some arn't for the better!
Don't rely on HR keeping quiet, and don't think companies and people arn't vindictive.

But it is nice to know inside that you will be living your dream one day

Bye
Mark
Old Oct 11th 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

I would just say that at this stage you are just looking into the possibility of going to Oz and avoid letting them know any firm plans until you have to.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

I personally told work all about it early on with the story that I wanted to be completely upfront and honest about it...erm...yes...anyway I told them that I wasnt planning on going for another 4-5 years as I had a lot to sort till then etc etc. The way i look at it (from the other side of the fence) is that any employee offering to stay with the same company (I am in IT) for a period of 4 years is pretty good going. They where fine about it.....

Erm..yeah...and I am going in March about 3 years sooner than they expected, I feel kinda bad for being so sneaky but I know otherwise there was no chance in hell of getting any payrises etc.