Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should I do??

Wikiposts

What should I do??

Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What should I do??

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
How about living in a cave in Coober Pedy?

SS
Will it have superb views, sounds of the ocean and ensuite facilities?
Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:55 am
Phoenixuk2oz

You've got to do what's right for you G....and no one else. Otherwise it wont work.

If I was honest, you've never sounded keen on moving to Aus, in fact if anything you come across as hating the idea. There doesn't seem to be much that "flicks your switch" re Aus so I'm surprised you are even contemplating going

You seem to love UK and where you live and there doesn't seem a pull or push factor for you re Aus. In my view anyone who moves across the other side of the world must want to go badly enough [for whatever reason] or else it's surely not worth the emotional trauma

I too had a great life in UK with a fantastic job and home life and salary to match...however in the end Aus was for me and it made it worth the sacrifices we had to make to get here. I'm not so sure I'd be brave enough to make that leap if I doubted whether I'd be happy, although you can't tell of course till you get here.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is....go with your heart G, your gut instinct and your head....but only make the move if you're committed to it..... otherwise you could find yourself being a very unhappy chappie...and for what?

Good luck whatever decision you make.

Old Jun 12th 2005, 3:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
You've got to do what's right for you G....and no one else. Otherwise it wont work.

If I was honest, you've never sounded keen on moving to Aus, in fact if anything you come across as hating the idea. There doesn't seem to be much that "flicks your switch" re Aus so I'm surprised you are even contemplating going

You seem to love UK and where you live and there doesn't seem a pull or push factor for you re Aus. In my view anyone who moves across the other side of the world must want to go badly enough [for whatever reason] or else it's surely not worth the emotional trauma

I too had a great life in UK with a fantastic job and home life and salary to match...however in the end Aus was for me and it made it worth the sacrifices we had to make to get here. I'm not so sure I'd be brave enough to make that leap if I doubted whether I'd be happy, although you can't tell of course till you get here.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is....go with your heart G, your gut instinct and your head....but only make the move if you're committed to it..... otherwise you could find yourself being a very unhappy chappie...and for what?

Good luck whatever decision you make.
Good points

I don't hate Australia but am kind of neutral about it really.

I was much keener when we started this process. It is only since we have had the chance to go that I realise what we have here.

My wife feels the same.

The process has cost us well over $60.000 so far so it will be an expensive decision not to go. The money will not be a factor.

Many of my posts on here are designed to provoke discussion (as I am sure most people realise).

In a perverse way they are how I clarify things for myself

This thread is probably the first time I have admitted to indecision.

Thanks for all your sensible replies.

Food for thought indeed.

G
Old Jun 12th 2005, 3:46 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Well if you come over, you are welcome in Melbourne & we will go out for a few pints like a couple of Grumpy old men.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Good points

I was much keener when we started this process. It is only since we have had the chance to go that I realise what we have here.

My wife feels the same.

The process has cost us well over $60.000 so far so it will be an expensive decision not to go. The money will not be a factor.

Many of my posts on here are designed to provoke discussion (as I am sure most people realise).

Food for thought indeed.

G
I can completely understand as it's such a difficult decision. Like you've said, you start off full of enthusiasm, but after months of DIMIA and expenditure,it kind of 'wears' you down. You begin to look around you and 'really' see what you have. I think the decision to move would be a lot easier if we lived in a really crappy area, with bad schools, high crime etc

Ahhh G go with your 'gut' feeling. My gut feeling tells us to move back to aus, we know what we'll be leaving behind, we know the problems aus has and what we'll be facing, but we're prepared to give it a go and just take our time. Hope you make the right decision X annie
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:47 am
Phoenixuk2oz

This thread is probably the first time I have admitted to indecision.G
Nothing wrong with being undecided G. Happens to most of us at sometime or another in our lives. Its a bloody big decision afterall.

You mention it's cost you approx $60k so far for the visa process...and that's a lot of money G....however you can't put a cost on happiness. It's worth "losing" $60k if you decide Aus is not for you and you don't wish to go.

It would cost you a hell of a lot more in terms of money and emotional stress if you really were unhappy and wanted to move back to the UK....so in effect $60k is nothing in comparison to what it could cost eventually.

At the end of the day it's your call G and no one else's. You've done lots of research and you're fully aware of the pro's and cons of Aus Vs UK.....it's not as if you're a naive newbie.

You've obviously weighed up what you'd "lose" in UK and "gain" in Aus and the sacrifices involved . The thing is that whatever you decide has got to fit with what you want out of life. And that's unique to you G. So do what's right in your case. It's you who has to live your life afterall

Good luck.....I know you'll make the right decision

Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by glittababe
I think the decision to move would be a lot easier if we lived in a really crappy area, with bad schools, high crime etc
That, I think, really makes it easy to decide. It always makes me think of WBB, moving from Port Talbot ?, to Western Brisbane. In his eyes, that seemed like Paradise apparently, yet not everyones cup of tea

But it comes down to the comparison of each individual.

Grayling... How has it cost you $60,000 so far ? :scared:

Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:15 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi G,

I typed a lovely karma message, only to be told I have to spread it about a bit before doinking you. Anyway, it went along the lines of moving to Aus not being an easy decision and revisiting that decision is vital to keep your reasons relevant.

I think Phoenix has summed up a lot of what I think too. You seem really happy and settled in your bit of the world. I guess you're wondering what you'd gain by moving to t'other side o' planet? (I've only been to the beach once since we landed - with you on that!!) The money factor pushes you to go along with your original plans. But it's only money ... (A lot, I know! But still only money. You're allowed to make expensive mistakes too!)

You seem determined to go, even though you have reservations (you've said that you will still make the move on this thread at least). I suppose I'd be examining why that is? Spend a bit more time focusing on why you seem set on moving, despite having doubts, rather than questioning why you're having the doubts. Bit of self-doubt's natural.

Does that make sense?

Nichola

Good points

My wife feels the same.

Food for thought indeed.

G
Old Jun 12th 2005, 7:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Grayling... How has it cost you $60,000 so far ? :scared:
That is what a Parent contributory visa costs (for a couple)

Thanks again. For replying.

Can't answer now as I have to go to work :scared:

I still do a few hours per week

G

Last edited by Grayling; Jun 12th 2005 at 7:31 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:31 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by glittababe
I hate sand! Really really hate it! It gets everywhere, causes problems with my skin and when the old wind whips it up it stings like hell! Have to admit I'm not too keen on the sea either! I like listening to it and watching it, but in it?????? No, no, my feet stay firmly on dry land! I do however love the hinterland, the spectacular and unusual scenery, the wildlife, the birdlife and yes, I do like to see a nice beach (from a distance)! Your not the only one G! Just chill and don't worry too much X
to be honest sand is the biggest reason why I also couldn't give a monkeys about beaches - I have never spent more than 2 hours on any beach. Even then I need a good little activity like cricket or a rugby ball to keep me interested - if I had a good seat and a tree I could read a book but cream, wind sand get on my tits - can never see the attraction. I also like running on them.

If Straya had no beaches I would still be here.

badge

Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

go with your heart ... and your head
Hey, you've covered all the bases there, haven't you
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:57 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Hey, you've covered all the bases there, haven't you

Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Good points

My wife feels the same.
I reckon that's better than selling up on the strength of a few summer visits and TV shows and heading off all starry eyed.

Likewise for many of us, I'm sure. It's cathartic. However, I'm also acutely aware that it can be a big wate of time going over the same old ground again and again.

Explicitly perhaps, but you have definitely implied this in a number of your posts.

I already sold my house in May 03, not to move to Oz but to bail out of what I was convinced was a housing market about to tank. Of course, there has been no crash, but here in Berkshire houses have not risen much. The problem was, I was in a panic and sold too cheap. What a mistake that was.

The housing market has now shuddered to a halt. Of course, I'm hoping it's like the cartoon character who runs of the edge of a cliff and hovers for a while, legs going like crazy, before looking down and then plunging. So, my decision is whether to stay here and buy another house (in due course) or move and buy there (again after a while; Oz house market facing the same prospects of a crash as here).

As you know, I was scheduled to move to Oz in Jan but cancelled at the last minute. The push for me was that I had no permanent job; the IT job market was dire and my contract job was coming to an end in Jan 05. What changed my mind was that the market picked up from about Autumn 04 and I felt I had to give it one more go.

Well, my contract lasted till the end of April and I had another very short contract in May, but I've been unemployed for 2 weeks now and the job market is getting quieter as summer holidays approach. So, now I have a push alright.

On the pull side I have my mother and stepfather there. No relatives here (sister overseas, father dead). Do have in-laws, but they are 130 miles away. In Oz we have free accommodation for as long as we need it, lots of support promised and what seem to be good schools. Here we are in a Grammar school LEA (can't really say catchment because of course Grammar schools don't have them) and our kids aren't in the top quartile of the class, so realistically Grammar school may not be achievable. Of course, we can move a short distance and get out of the Grammar area, but the cheapest detached 3 bed house in the catchment of the good Comprehensive we have in mind are around the £350k mark.

For me, Oz had to be a last resort. Now I'm unemployed then it has become just that. True, there are very few IT jobs in Adelaide, but it gives me the breathing space to retrain or start my own business (not necessarily in IT).

The way I look at it in my positive moments is that at 41 I'm still young enough to start something new. After all, I will probably need to work for nearly 30 more years. If I stay here I could end up in a job that lasts only 5 or so years and by that stage I'd be loathe to move to Oz and drag my kids out of secondary school etc. Naturally, I'd also find it even harder to find a new job as I got older; IT is notoriously ageist. Starting my own business is something I've always wanted to do and while I know it's risky, I could end up much better off financially. My dad was a shopkeeper. He managed to send my sister and I to private schools, something I can't afford to do. My landlord has a shop.

Yup, I know this has been all about me! I beg your indulgence.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:41 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
I reckon that's better than selling up on the strength of a few summer visits and TV shows and heading off all starry eyed.

Likewise for many of us, I'm sure. It's cathartic. However, I'm also acutely aware that it can be a big wate of time going over the same old ground again and again.

Explicitly perhaps, but you have definitely implied this in a number of your posts.

I already sold my house in May 03, not to move to Oz but to bail out of what I was convinced was a housing market about to tank. Of course, there has been no crash, but here in Berkshire houses have not risen much. The problem was, I was in a panic and sold too cheap. What a mistake that was.

The housing market has now shuddered to a halt. Of course, I'm hoping it's like the cartoon character who runs of the edge of a cliff and hovers for a while, legs going like crazy, before looking down and then plunging. So, my decision is whether to stay here and buy another house (in due course) or move and buy there (again after a while; Oz house market facing the same prospects of a crash as here).

As you know, I was scheduled to move to Oz in Jan but cancelled at the last minute. The push for me was that I had no permanent job; the IT job market was dire and my contract job was coming to an end in Jan 05. What changed my mind was that the market picked up from about Autumn 04 and I felt I had to give it one more go.

Well, my contract lasted till the end of April and I had another very short contract in May, but I've been unemployed for 2 weeks now and the job market is getting quieter as summer holidays approach. So, now I have a push alright.

On the pull side I have my mother and stepfather there. No relatives here (sister overseas, father dead). Do have in-laws, but they are 130 miles away. In Oz we have free accommodation for as long as we need it, lots of support promised and what seem to be good schools. Here we are in a Grammar school LEA (can't really say catchment because of course Grammar schools don't have them) and our kids aren't in the top quartile of the class, so realistically Grammar school may not be achievable. Of course, we can move a short distance and get out of the Grammar area, but the cheapest detached 3 bed house in the catchment of the good Comprehensive we have in mind are around the £350k mark.

For me, Oz had to be a last resort. Now I'm unemployed then it has become just that. True, there are very few IT jobs in Adelaide, but it gives me the breathing space to retrain or start my own business (not necessarily in IT).

The way I look at it in my positive moments is that at 41 I'm still young enough to start something new. After all, I will probably need to work for nearly 30 more years. If I stay here I could end up in a job that lasts only 5 or so years and by that stage I'd be loathe to move to Oz and drag my kids out of secondary school etc. Naturally, I'd also find it even harder to find a new job as I got older; IT is notoriously ageist. Starting my own business is something I've always wanted to do and while I know it's risky, I could end up much better off financially. My dad was a shopkeeper. He managed to send my sister and I to private schools, something I can't afford to do. My landlord has a shop.

Yup, I know this has been all about me! I beg your indulgence.
So..... after all that.....are you going to Aus or staying in UK

Who you trying to convince here

Only jesting m8. I know what a very, very testing time it is making this kind of decision. Depends on the size of the prize and level of risk. My calculations paid off so far. Thankfully. Hope yours does too.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

So..... after all that.....are you going to Aus or staying in UK
End of the month is the decision deadline. If no decent permanent job by then, it's Oz. My wife needs to give 2 months notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.