Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should I do??

Wikiposts

What should I do??

Old Jun 11th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What should I do??

Originally Posted by Grayling
I just put this reply on another thread.
Maybe it is worth one of it's own.

What happens if you are not bothered about beaches

I could not care less about beaches.

I also have pre-cancerous lesions on my face so I am not really too concerned about the sun :scared:

My son has lived in Australia for 5 years and he hardly goes to the beach.

Are there any other reasons why I should go to Australia

Yours confused

G
I reckon you should take the plunge and migrate! That way you will cease pissing people off from afar, you can do that real close

Don't worry about the sun. It will keep circling the earth anyways, although it does feel flattered that you thought of it.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 12:40 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

petrol's cheaper...
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Oz for 12 years, and apart from the first year, I didn't bother with beaches much although always lived by the ocean, mostly overlooking it.

My uncle has a daughter in New Zealand, he spent summer in New Zealand and Summer in UK, over a 6 months period each. In that way he spent time with his daughter and his grandchildren. He brought a boat and lived on that during that time, since he enjoyed sailing. The option is you could do something similar, if you have a nice home etc in the UK and are happy. Plus you also get the variety of other countries which are closer. There was a time when I really wanted to go back to Australia, but I quite like having other countries nearer that I can jump on a plane for a long weekend if I chose to do so, although I'm based in Spain as I have a lovely house there and commute to UK and others when the need arises.

I think there are much more opportunites and options than there were say 10 years ago. Depending on your sons situation is his house/land big enough to have a separate annexe on it, so that you are indepenent from them rather than living in their house with them?
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:41 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Grayling it sounds oh so clearly to me that you do not want to make this move. Not only from this post but from another you did a few months ago.

If you have PR, then you have the option to visit when you like. I dont mean living in 2 countries, but Australia will always be 'yours'.

Live where your heart tells you to because sometimes, thats just thing to do.

You say you have a lovely life and you enjoy it, then stay there because it makes you happy.

And if you do decide to move to Australia, do it for yourself and not your son.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ps, I cannot wait to meet you at the Manchester Meet.

Love Sam
I agree with Sam, you need to make the move for yourself not your son, however hard it may be not seeing him regularly.

sorry, dont know what else to say as Sam as said it all.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
I agree with Sam, you need to make the move for yourself not your son, however hard it may be not seeing him regularly.

sorry, dont know what else to say as Sam as said it all.
I was just about to put a reply on when you posted Bridie.

Ironically as our son often has to come back to the UK to work we see more of him now than when he lived in the UK.

Thinking about this further it is not really my son that this is about. We have another son in the UK and both still have elderly parents.
We are also planning to live in a different state to our son so will still not be close.

Our son was the means whereby we could get the visa.
When we first thougt about moving the Parent Contributory visa did not exist so getting in to Australia would have been a challenge.

It turned out to be very easy.

Also Australia looked very different the first time we visited. It seemed a lovely place. However now we have been several times the cracks have begun to show.

We have now spent time in Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide as these are the places our son has lived.
The Whitsunday islands in Early summer (which was our first trip) are very different to Sydney or Adelaide in winter when it is raining.

This is one of the reasons I believe that people should not decide to move simply because they once had a wonderful holiday.

I have now been to most of Australia and TBH have not really found anything better than we already have.
Another factor has been the cost of property. When we first visited you could by a nice house in Noosa for $180.000
A bit different now.
At that time I could have afforded a house in both countries...not now.

We will still go. we are still young enough to work for several years if we want and it will be an adventure.
However it is not such an easy decision to make as it seems for some people.

Anyway, thanks for your replies so far.

Our problems are really quite minor compared to Chattyshazza's for example.

G
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:59 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

See your son.

Bush walks, fishing, off roading, whatever sport your into should be catered for.
You could make a almost endless list of stuff you can do other than go to the beach. I will be at the beach but not for the sand i love surfing.
You can and prob will do what you do in the UK. Plus maybe some new stuff
Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:34 am
Merlot

G

I am equally as confused as your good self at the moment, so can't offer any advice.

What Sam has said about doing it for YOU is so true, this is something me and my other half have to do at some point, even now we feel like we are trying to keep all close family members in both countries happy. By doing this we are not concentrating on us.

Phew . . . need a holiday

M

Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot

Phew . . . need a holiday
Off to Ireland and then Majorca for a couple of weeks in July

Booked to go to Sydney in November. Will give it some serious thought then

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:19 am
Merlot

Best wishes

G
Germany for us end of June, then the famous September in Europe trip when we get organised then we will be so broke we can't afford to move to Oz, so that problem is solved.

M

Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:27 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Grayling it sounds oh so clearly to me that you do not want to make this move. Not only from this post but from another you did a few months ago.

If you have PR, then you have the option to visit when you like. I dont mean living in 2 countries, but Australia will always be 'yours'.

Live where your heart tells you to because sometimes, thats just thing to do.

You say you have a lovely life and you enjoy it, then stay there because it makes you happy.

And if you do decide to move to Australia, do it for yourself and not your son.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ps, I cannot wait to meet you at the Manchester Meet.

Love Sam
When is the manchester meet? havent seen a thread
Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:30 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by possoms
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305475

I am attempting to get there too . . Expat Meet Junkie that I am.

M

Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by possoms
Look in the lounge

Won't be your 'average' expat's meet.

No kids for a start

Boozy methinks.

G
Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes

G
Tough decision Grayling, only you know the circumstances and all the factors with which to make that choice.

On the sun and skin cancer front, I can honestly say, I've been paler and whiter here than I ever was in the UK.

Because the sun is a constant (well more constant), I don't rush out every time the sun is out. I neither embrace nor ignore it. And I'm white as a sheet now!!

Well, thats the sum of my input

JTL
Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:38 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Look in the lounge

Won't be your 'average' expat's meet.

No kids for a start

Boozy methinks.

G
Oh Ok
Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:44 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I just put this reply on another thread.
Maybe it is worth one of it's own.

What happens if you are not bothered about beaches

I could not care less about beaches.

I also have pre-cancerous lesions on my face so I am not really too concerned about the sun :scared:

My son has lived in Australia for 5 years and he hardly goes to the beach.

Are there any other reasons why I should go to Australia

Yours confused

G
Thats so funny, we were just chatting about that today.
I live ON the beach, literally take 10 steps from my back yard and I am on the beach. and today I was told I have pale skin. MMMM I have spent my life being told how I have olive skin so being told I am pale was a bit of a shock.

I honestly do not have a tan line on my body (live 5 hrs north of p[erth so it is not due to the lack of sun) I just cant be bothered with it like I was in the UK.

I live in the worst part of town (CBD), Own a business that means that I cannot leave the place, hide from the sun all day everyday and still manage to have loads of fun.

You know what I am talking about G, have fun
Kala x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.