Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should I do??

What should I do??

Old Jun 11th 2005, 6:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default What should I do??

I just put this reply on another thread.
Maybe it is worth one of it's own.

What happens if you are not bothered about beaches

I could not care less about beaches.

I also have pre-cancerous lesions on my face so I am not really too concerned about the sun :scared:

My son has lived in Australia for 5 years and he hardly goes to the beach.

Are there any other reasons why I should go to Australia

Yours confused

G
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What should I do??

Originally Posted by Grayling

I also have pre-cancerous lesions on my face so I am not really too concerned about the sun :scared:

Yours confused

G
Don't be confused G Just stay away from the beaches and stay out of the sun. My sister lived in Corfu for 20 years. Only went to the beach when rellies went to stay.

BUT

when most of us Brits move to sunny place with beautiful clean empty beaches we will, for a while, find the novelty quite nice, and go to the beaches. This is before we find work are therefore working until it gets dark just to be able to pay the mortgage and bills, and private health and private school fees etc etc.

I think you are ready for another fishing trip Just out of interest, when you do finally move to Aus, when will you fish - middle of the night
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:19 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey G, we have family over in oz and our nephew is really prone to burning, he just stays out of the sun. wears a hat and t shirt if he is on the beach (not very often) and fishes from inside the boat rather than sitting on the top of it.

i am sure you were looking at australia in the first place for things other than the beaches. just remember what they were.

Hope you get lots of positive replies.

Louise
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Yours confused

G
I hate sand! Really really hate it! It gets everywhere, causes problems with my skin and when the old wind whips it up it stings like hell! Have to admit I'm not too keen on the sea either! I like listening to it and watching it, but in it?????? No, no, my feet stay firmly on dry land! I do however love the hinterland, the spectacular and unusual scenery, the wildlife, the birdlife and yes, I do like to see a nice beach (from a distance)! Your not the only one G! Just chill and don't worry too much X
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by glittababe
I hate sand! Really really hate it! It gets everywhere, causes problems with my skin and when the old wind whips it up it stings like hell! Have to admit I'm not too keen on the sea either! I like listening to it and watching it, but in it?????? No, no, my feet stay firmly on dry land! I do however love the hinterland, the spectacular and unusual scenery, the wildlife, the birdlife and yes, I do like to see a nice beach (from a distance)! Your not the only one G! Just chill and don't worry too much X
How about living in a cave in Coober Pedy?

SS
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:33 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Confused

Don't get caught up with hype...loads of peops just mention long empty sandy beachs as a one of many reason for moving to Aus.

Some once they get here they at some point also get a long awaited for check up for skin cancer - then find they may have it, usually from overexposure as a teenager on the 2 week holiday in spain....

In most of the cases the level of cancer they have is pre or pree pree etc ect.....but in some nasty cases it is malignant melanoma. So we are now down to the low low percentages......And lucky for us we are talking about the 40 yr old adult.

The kids now have to have bi annual skins checks cause they have a parent who developed the disease means they are more likely to.....

For some really big reason I am dead glad I moved to Aus, even if I am not a beach lover....they have a decent awareness of skin cancer

Cheers
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:41 pm
sula

Hi G,
Why don't you stay long enough to get citizenship and then split your time between both countries? That way you will get the best of both worlds!Obviously, you would need the funds to be able to do this!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sula

Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
when will you fish - middle of the night
I fish through the night here

At least no one has flamed me yet

It is a dilemna though.

I can't really afford to live between the two countries...now that I am a poor pensioner

I would love to go for an adventure. We already have a PR visa.

However I already have a great lifestyle, live in a lovely place and am financially secure. I won't put pictures of my house/surroundings etc. on here again as some people seem to get annoyed

I really am torn.

I could easily get a job in Australia (I am still a Registered nurse in NSW), have a good pension and own my house. However I am still unsure.

I know I play the devil's advocate a bit and annoy people sometimes but am really still undecided.
My son is in Adelaide and that matters and so we will eventually go. I still don't find myself rushing to get there though

I posted this thread following Jim 2004's thread (on beaches) as I don't think I have asked it before.

Thanks for the replies so far.

G
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:31 pm
sula

What happens if you reluctantly move over only to find in a few years that you or your son wants to return to the UK? You might not be able to afford the same lifestyle that you currently have on your return! I am a Ping Pong Pom myself and lost out financially when I returned!

Could you afford to rent your house out in the UK? I certainly wish that I had!

I'm still very undecided about returning to Oz or not and can empathise with you.

Sula

Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:36 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by sula
What happens if you reluctantly move over only to find in a few years that you or your son wants to return to the UK? You might not be able to afford the same lifestyle that you currently have on your return! I am a Ping Pong Pom myself and lost out financially when I returned!

Could you afford to rent your house out in the UK? I certainly wish that I had!

I'm still very undecided about returning to Oz or not and can empathise with you.

Sula
Those are the questions I ak myself Sula.

We intend to rent our house out here as we would never be able to replace it (regardless of cost).

That means only being able to rent in Australia otherwise I will have to work full time which I do not intend to do.

Still it will be OK for a year or two.

Karma for your thoughts

G
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:37 pm
Professional Princess

Those are the questions I ak myself Sula.

We intend to rent our house out here as we would never be able to replace it (regardless of cost).

That means only being able to rent in Australia otherwise I will have to work full time which I do not intend to do.

Still it will be OK for a year or two.

Karma for your thoughts

G

Grayling it sounds oh so clearly to me that you do not want to make this move. Not only from this post but from another you did a few months ago.

If you have PR, then you have the option to visit when you like. I dont mean living in 2 countries, but Australia will always be 'yours'.

Live where your heart tells you to because sometimes, thats just thing to do.

You say you have a lovely life and you enjoy it, then stay there because it makes you happy.

And if you do decide to move to Australia, do it for yourself and not your son.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ps, I cannot wait to meet you at the Manchester Meet.

Love Sam

Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I fish through the night here

At least no one has flamed me yet

It is a dilemna though.

I can't really afford to live between the two countries...now that I am a poor pensioner

I would love to go for an adventure. We already have a PR visa.

However I already have a great lifestyle, live in a lovely place and am financially secure. I won't put pictures of my house/surroundings etc. on here again as some people seem to get annoyed

I really am torn.

I could easily get a job in Australia (I am still a Registered nurse in NSW), have a good pension and own my house. However I am still unsure.

I know I play the devil's advocate a bit and annoy people sometimes but am really still undecided.
My son is in Adelaide and that matters and so we will eventually go. I still don't find myself rushing to get there though

I posted this thread following Jim 2004's thread (on beaches) as I don't think I have asked it before.

Thanks for the replies so far.

G
Would it be possible to do a few months here, a few months there.

It sounds to me (and what do I know ) that you love it here but you miss your son. Go for another long visit and see how you feel. Even when you have been there, got the t shirt etc it can be hard to visualise how you really feel in a place when you're not there.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:31 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Whats inside the can?
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely rent your house out there in the UK. I remember the pictures you posted showing it, how I wish I lived somewhere like that!

Your need to be closer to your son sounds like it outweighs your need to live in Australia. That's totally understandable, but you have a wonderful life where you are...why change it?

Is it because you fancy the challenge? Want a bit of an adventure before you get too old to have one? If those are the reasons....great, do it, have an adventure for a couple of years but leave some stability back home in the UK for you to fall back on.

You never know, you may love your new life in Oz after a few years and then (and only then) you can choose to sell your UK home and set up a permanent base over here.

I don't particularly like the beach...too much sand for my liking, gets everywhere! Hubby and the kids love it, I just sit and read under my sun brolly. We are all incredibly fair skinned and we all slip/slop/slap factor 30+ everyday, pain in the bum but essential over here. If you end up somewhere over near SA or Vic then there are some wonderful green valleys and villages, you don't have to live the beach life at all.

Good luck with your deliberations and remember, nothing is forever, you can change any situation if you choose to.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:29 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Yours confused

G
the wine's cheaper..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.