Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What should I do, ?????

Wikiposts

What should I do, ?????

Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default What should I do, ?????

OK, I dont often post here but I read throught the forum almost everyday.

Here we go, I have been told I have no chance of getting in to OZ with my current experience/qualifications, (IT person, networks, servers, trouble shooting, MCSE, CCNA qualified etc etc). Which made me fairly sad to say the least.

But,

As of this June I will have a total of about 3 years Joinery/Shopfitting experience, which although is not enough in the way of years, the job is on the SOL.

Now I have been offered a Contract in leads as a site foreman (shopfitting project) for the next 14 months, BUT (again) I have also been offered a Project Engineers position working on the new NHS Net roll out, Which involes alot of audting, systems and network design inspection etc etc.

What would you guys do, or what do you guys in the know think I should do.

I am also waiting to here back about my dads status as an australian citizen, although he doesnt live there any more, (He used to) he is trying to get his OZ passport and proof of citizenship back which will help me no end.

Should I apply hoping that my 3 years is enough joinery experience is enough or just leave it for now and do another 14 months. ???

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys,
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What should I do, ?????

I'd be dubious about the joinery thing, if it's just experience alone, with no trade qualification and no city and guilds or diploma i'd say you'd be really lucky to be accepted.

I'm surprised that you've been knocked back with your ccna and mcse. How many years experience do you have in IT? I'm in IT myself with no qualifications but i'm lucky that my wife has 130 points and i can go on her qualifications an experience.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
I'd be dubious about the joinery thing, if it's just experience alone, with no trade qualification and no city and guilds or diploma i'd say you'd be really lucky to be accepted.

I'm surprised that you've been knocked back with your ccna and mcse. How many years experience do you have in IT? I'm in IT myself with no qualifications but i'm lucky that my wife has 130 points and i can go on her qualifications an experience.

Hi mate thanks for replying, I have been working in IT for a total of 7 years now, give or take a few months on and off here and there. Where I went back to joinery for a while.
As for my experience in IT i thought it would have got me in too, but the agent I spoke to said no, I thought I would have come under Computing professional, not else where classified, or some thing like that.

Do you think it would be worth me trying to apply on my own, or maybe try another agent.

Thanks again
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by philnorris
Hi mate thanks for replying, I have been working in IT for a total of 7 years now, give or take a few months on and off here and there. Where I went back to joinery for a while.
As for my experience in IT i thought it would have got me in too, but the agent I spoke to said no, I thought I would have come under Computing professional, not else where classified, or some thing like that.

Do you think it would be worth me trying to apply on my own, or maybe try another agent.

Thanks again
Computer Support Technicians come under the Skilled Occupations List and is worth 40 points. Did you work for a company doing IT work? If so, for how long and what was your job title.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
Computer Support Technicians come under the Skilled Occupations List and is worth 40 points. Did you work for a company doing IT work? If so, for how long and what was your job title.

Hi mate, thats about 7 years worth of IT experience, and with me working as a contractor for 99% of that time, my job description title changes with the wind, I havent done an actual Tech support role for the past 2 years, the last 6 months, I have been working for thomson, doing a bit of invigilating for people who do there MCSE, MCP's etc, looking after their servers/network etc. 6 months before that i was working a a field engineer, again working on servers (admin & software issues) and also building desktops with Novell-Zenworks, another 6 months before that, I was working a shopfitting contract. and before that it is very varied.

I think this is why I wont get in to OZ with my experience though, as the closest thing I can see to it on the SOL is infact, like you said, Tech Support, which is worth only 40 points.

But in my time I have done a lot of different things, managed SQL databases, created a PHP helpdesk system, created webpages, built servers of all descriptions, designed small networks, wrote a few one off programs in VB, the list goes on and on, but to remember who I did what for is another thing, as some of my contracts where only a few weeks long. My CV now strech's to 4 pages and I haven't got all of my work on there.

I dont remember everything I do, which is unfortunate, cos only this morning I got a new Cisco router in to work, and could I hell remember how to set it up. Nope, so I had a fun day with that. All sorted now though.

THanks again for replying,.