Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what should i do

what should i do

Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what should i do

hoorah, after slooging my guts out for the past 3 weeks i have finally got til saturday off, since the news of getting my visa has seeped thrugh to high command i have been put on all the s*** shifts going my sleep patterns (i work nights) are all to pot (working everday over xmas as well)

should i
1. resign and go with an agency (better money but not guarenteed where u work)

2. stick with it and smile

3. talk to high command (although didnt help she was the last to know about the visa)

4. give an ultimatum and hope for the best

i work with some great people and would like to stay as long as possible but i am totally knackered and i cant see it getting much better in the future but i am very loyal to the nhs and my job and love what i am doing but am in a dilemma over this one

arlene
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what should i do

Originally posted by arlene
hoorah, after slooging my guts out for the past 3 weeks i have finally got til saturday off, since the news of getting my visa has seeped thrugh to high command i have been put on all the s*** shifts going my sleep patterns (i work nights) are all to pot (working everday over xmas as well)

should i
1. resign and go with an agency (better money but not guarenteed where u work)

2. stick with it and smile

3. talk to high command (although didnt help she was the last to know about the visa)

4. give an ultimatum and hope for the best

i work with some great people and would like to stay as long as possible but i am totally knackered and i cant see it getting much better in the future but i am very loyal to the nhs and my job and love what i am doing but am in a dilemma over this one

arlene
Hiya,
I can't believe that your boss can be so petty and give you all those rubbish shifts. That's jealousy for you.
Going with an agency might be the answer. But if you enjoy your work because of the staff then I think you might be even more upset by missing their friendship and the familarity of where you work.
I think you should see your boss and have a chat with her about it. She'll probably deny the bad shifts and its just coincidence and then things will should get better. Nobody likes to know that people are on to them.
Good luck and GO TO BED:lecture: You must be tired after working all night.
Tazzy
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:53 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Arlene,

That sounds like a nightmare, I was lucky that the xmas off duty had been done by the time I told them.

It would be a shame for you to be pushed from your job for the final weeks/months if you enjoy it but equally you'll need your wits about you for all the organising required, which is difficult if you have split nights and little sleep. Tough decision, but have you anything to lose by talking to high command? You can still go if you're not satisfied?

Good luck

Michaela
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I would talk to high command first..make them realise your predicament (who knows it might NOT be spite!!) if that dont work give htem the ultimatum...if that dont work...tell them to shove it up their bum and go to the agency.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:39 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by podgypossum
I would talk to high command first..make them realise your predicament (who knows it might NOT be spite!!) if that dont work give htem the ultimatum...if that dont work...tell them to shove it up their bum and go to the agency.
Spot on, PP!! After all, what can they do? Fire you? Nope - they'd be up for unfair dismissal. Make your life hell? They're already doing that. You've got nothing to lose, so take no prisoners!!!
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what should i do

Hi Arlene,

Try to negotiate with high command but never get to the ultimatum face. Thay know they have already lost you and are trying to get the most out of you while they can.

I should thank you for sharing your experiences since I was in doubt on wether to tell my boss or not.

Be patient and good luck...

Originally posted by arlene

arlene
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Fantastic answer podgypossum you must have read my mind!
go for it Arlene!

Old Dec 16th 2003, 6:21 pm
WBB

sounds like good advice to me.

Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:25 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi arlene,
sorry to hear its all going a bit t#ts up for you!!!
DIDNT YOU HEAR??? There is a very nasty flu bug going round....I have had it for over 3 weeks now - cold and flu, then sinusitis, then tonsillitis, then sinusitis again.......!!!!!
OR.....how about a nasty case of whiplash??? cant prove it, cant disprove it.
OR.....that niggling back ache you've soldiered on with for so long....just lift that box of litre bags of saline and ...POP...!!!!!

come on girl....youve worked bloody hard for that place.....you've gone in when all about you are whimpering and whining.....SOD EM ALL!!!
DONT feel guilty ... throw a sickie ... you owe it to yourself.

You went in the night you got your visa, so this is your revenge.
cos remember, if everyone went off sick your boss would have to come in and work!!!

sue
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Arlene,

same thing happened here, had handed my notice in and then hey presto my shifts are changed

I did have sh*t shifts over Christmas too which helped to decide to finish this Saturday.

If your hospital is anything like ours you'll get plenty of work on the agency - for more money and less politics.

Claire
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:28 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

or,
1) go with the agency. with the nhs you will get normal rate + 60% - so if you are a basic D grade (like me) you would get about £14/hr to work christmas day. on agency its more like £30/hr - know which Id choose.

sue
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:51 pm
WBB

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
or,
1) go with the agency. with the nhs you will get normal rate + 60% - so if you are a basic D grade (like me) you would get about £14/hr to work christmas day. on agency its more like £30/hr - know which Id choose.

sue

£30 an hour !!!!!

im in the wrong line of business.

Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:58 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

When you get to Oz every penny you have saved in the UK will be very precious. Sell your soul to the devil, get the cash and then you will be better off on arrival here. Either have a holiday or a bigger house.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:59 pm

Originally posted by welshboybilly
£30 an hour !!!!!

im in the wrong line of business.

that is to work on christmas day!!!!!
A friend of my hubby works for BT - something to do with computers - and when he was on call a couple of years ago he got paid £90/hr!!!! and he didnt do any work!!!

actually, in all seriousness, the high rates of pay are the reason why the nhs is always running these recruitment campaigns to get nurses back - the cost of temp workers is soooo high!!!
I worked full time for an agency before I had the twins - going back to about 1998-2000, and my income for the year was £7k over what I get now working for the nhs. you can pick when and where you work, and if somewhere really likes you, you can negotiate a better rate! no politics, no involvement in ward squabbles, no dreading working with a certain person etc.
BLISS.......
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:02 pm
WBB

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
that is to work on christmas day!!!!!
A friend of my hubby works for BT - something to do with computers - and when he was on call a couple of years ago he got paid £90/hr!!!! and he didnt do any work!!!

actually, in all seriousness, the high rates of pay are the reason why the nhs is always running these recruitment campaigns to get nurses back - the cost of temp workers is soooo high!!!
I worked full time for an agency before I had the twins - going back to about 1998-2000, and my income for the year was £7k over what I get now working for the nhs. you can pick when and where you work, and if somewhere really likes you, you can negotiate a better rate! no politics, no involvement in ward squabbles, no dreading working with a certain person etc.
BLISS.......

why not go "full time" with the agency then?

seems like a no brainer, i must be missing something ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.