Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to ship and who to ship with - current as of March/April 2012

What to ship and who to ship with - current as of March/April 2012

Old May 2nd 2012, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What to ship and who to ship with - current as of March/April 2012

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Ikea stuff is more expensive here than the UK. Also do you really want to be doing a major major shop as well as finding a property, buying a car, sorting schools, jobs etc etc etc? Not telling you not to, maybe it's just me would die of horror having to do that.
Second that MP.

Don't be thinking that shops here are of the same size as back home - if you're thinking of your local massive tesco where you pretty much could restock whole kitchen (you could in mine anyway - all crockery etc, toaster/kettle/microwave etc pots/pans/tea towels etc etc). AND towels/bedding, I know of nowhere here like that.

Then downstairs you can get all food/wine. So yes you would be there for hours but it could be done.

Not sure what Melbourne is like for that but it would take lots of places in Sydney and lots of hassle. (or I guess a big Myers but then you'd be paying a lot of money)
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Kmart and places do big 'start up' kits of pots, pans, kettles, plates, etc, etc, but furniture and everything? Even doing a big Ikea shop when you've just left the same stuff behind sounds like hell to me.
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:26 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping quotes

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I'm sure you'll be fine........
She's mention Anglo a few times now, each time I've wondered if you'd seen it or not!
Erm, whatcha not telling me ladies?
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

I have been most impressed with Crown, so most likely to use them, we are shipping nearly everything and only,will pick up a few plates etc when we arrive as will probably end up camping in the rental while waiting for the container!
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

NattLloyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Ikea stuff is more expensive here than the UK. Also do you really want to be doing a major major shop as well as finding a property, buying a car, sorting schools, jobs etc etc etc? Not telling you not to, maybe it's just me would die of horror having to do that.
I love shopping and decorating a fair bit so I'm looking forward to it... luckily my partners had a job there since January and he's already sorting out schools ready for when me n our son arrive... I don't drive so the car is his department and I won't be looking for work until our son is settled and I know what the school routine is like. I suppose everyones different though
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NattLloyd
I love shopping and decorating a fair bit so I'm looking forward to it... luckily my partners had a job there since January and he's already sorting out schools ready for when me n our son arrive... I don't drive so the car is his department and I won't be looking for work until our son is settled and I know what the school routine is like. I suppose everyones different though
It's ok, I know I'm considered strange by most people who know me. Absolutely loathe chocolate as well. I'm not your standard woman.
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy3
I have been most impressed with Crown, so most likely to use them, we are shipping nearly everything and only,will pick up a few plates etc when we arrive as will probably end up camping in the rental while waiting for the container!
i have only had 2 out so far (another Friday and last one in a couple of weeks!) but out of the 2 i was very impressed with crown, though still awaiting there quote.

Just a bit concerned that the first company said i would need a 40ft but only 2/3's full and crown said 20ft?! Well actually its about 100 cubic ft over a 20ft so she is getting back to me as to what that equates to in laymans terms, if it means leaving a set of chest of drawers behind then so be it! Bit concerned that they can differ in quanity so much though?!

Will be interesting to see what the guy on friday says!
Old May 3rd 2012, 8:23 am
Just Joined

NattLloyd is an unknown quantity at this point

It's ok, I know I'm considered strange by most people who know me. Absolutely loathe chocolate as well. I'm not your standard woman.
Well I know a fair few people who would consider having to start from scratch hell to be honest, it's not what everyone wants to be doing but we don't really have much worth bringing over so we may as well just buy new, it would be different if I had spent a lot on what we do already own but other than our couches we were in need of new stuff like beds and kids bedroom stuff anyways

(and chocolates not all it's cracked up to be!)
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Is there such a thing a standard woman?
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:15 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Never met you but.... not a standard woman.? I assume you don't mean physically. Not liking chocolate, well not a big fan myself. Aside from chocolate you seem pretty standard.
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Never met you but.... not a standard woman.? I assume you don't mean physically. Not liking chocolate, well not a big fan myself. Aside from chocolate you seem pretty standard.
Well I don't have three legs but..... Generally speaking, a woman who has a strong dislike of shopping, wine and chocolate etc is possibly considered non standard.
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:41 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Well I don't have three legs but..... Generally speaking, a woman who has a strong dislike of shopping, wine and chocolate etc is possibly considered non standard.
and if you looked like Kelly Brooke, liked football, beer and sex then you'd be considered perfect
Old May 4th 2012, 7:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
and if you looked like Kelly Brooke, liked football, beer and sex then you'd be considered perfect
Ooops failed on one and a half of them
Old May 4th 2012, 3:57 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops failed on one and a half of them
Half how on earth do you fail on half of one of those options? Maybe you only have Kelly Brookes knockers not her bum hmmm off to the head to contemplate that one
Old May 5th 2012, 1:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Half how on earth do you fail on half of one of those options? Maybe you only have Kelly Brookes knockers not her bum hmmm off to the head to contemplate that one
Depends on the 'beer'. If you class lager as beer then it's a full one, if you don't really then it becomes a half

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.