Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to ship and who to ship with - current as of March/April 2012

What to ship and who to ship with - current as of March/April 2012

Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:44 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to ship or not

Originally Posted by Phil K
What about LED TVs are they expensive, as over here at the min the price just keeps dropping.

Will grab a couple of Dyson hovers : )
TVs is one thing where there is price parity (ish) between UK and Oz. If you've got one already, bring it. If not, then you can get one here.

Dyson's are overpriced here (they're overpriced everywhere, but...)

One thing I wouldn't bring is the fridge. Likely your kitchen will have a space for one and you'll want to get one that fits the space. Plus they can be touchy to shipping.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Phil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Garry,

Our Fridge/Freezer is a nice American style Samsung with like a brushed silver finish front but it is huge & is really heavy so may get damaged being shipped.

The TV is 4year old now so will grab a new one when in Oz.

Cheers
Phil
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil K
Thanks Garry,

Our Fridge/Freezer is a nice American style Samsung with like a brushed silver finish front but it is huge & is really heavy so may get damaged being shipped.

The TV is 4year old now so will grab a new one when in Oz.
Your big american fridge may well fit in perfectly here ;-)

It's the tiny UK fridges that end up looking lost that have the problem, even if they are more efficient.

Something to consider on the TV front. It depends on what kind of place you get, but it is possible to find somewhere with quite a bit of space in Oz. Thus it's possible to get a projector for watching movies, etc. and have the space to set one up. I have my old LCD TV for watching the news, etc., but a projector/home theatre setup for watch movies and stuff downloaded from the UK. I'd ship a flat screen TV, no matter what.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your appliances are only a few years old- eg fridges and washers then don't bother. If they break down, it is hard to get them repaired. Remember also that fridges may not work as well out here due to the heat/ may not be big enough: everything has to go in the fridge in summer to stop it spoiling and you drink more water/juices too.

Be very careful bringing in items that may have come into contact with dirt- eg bikes, shoes and tools. They have to be spotless, or you could end up with a bill for irradiating/disposing of them. (We soaked everything in Jeyes fluid and revarnished/painted all the wooden tools, and sold our garden furniture.) No pinecones or beeswax candles. Check out the list of prohibited goods before you pack.

Stock up on ladies underwear and decent t-shirts/ work shirts. Ditto for pillows and bedlinen. DO bring over your bed and mattresses- they cost an absolute fortune here.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Bring everything! If you do bring some stuff to sell on as mentioned, get rid of the packaging and make it look used. You're not supposed to bring in anything under a year old or they may make you pay duty on it.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:03 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Bring as much as you can squeeze into a container! Money flows quickly out of your pocket once your here and having not to worry about sofas, washing machines etc will really help with the move. We brought our big fridge, no probs! Bring extra bedding if you can. Defo extension leads. If book readers stack up and bring with you. Just bring what you can!

We even brought IKEA flat pack which we got in the sales, again no probs!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you bring more than one vacuum (why would you) or other white goods, you could be clobbered on import duty. One or two brand new different items will get through no worries but start with the multiples and they may think you're importing in order to resell.

Bring the fridge, the shippers will pack it properly and it will come in handy. Bring everything. Apart from the cost, I can't imagine why anyone would want to have to go shopping for a houseful of stuff as soon as they arrive but then I don't like shopping normally. Fitting out a house sounds like my worse nightmare.

If your bed is a kingsize, it'll be a queen here so no problems with finding bedding. The other sizes are different though.

I'd also bring the TV. Houses have more rooms here and the UK one will come in handy in a room for kids with xboxes/playstations and even just watching another channel from the main room.

We brought our dishwasher. The house we bought had one in it, the owner decided she'd be kind and leave it for us. Ours sat in the shed for three years until hers died. We had a newish one ready and waiting and free.

If you bring stuff which you then find you don't need, you can always have a garage sale or use Gumtree to offload.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
Bring as much as you can squeeze into a container! Money flows quickly out of your pocket once your here and having not to worry about sofas, washing machines etc will really help with the move. We brought our big fridge, no probs! Bring extra bedding if you can. Defo extension leads. If book readers stack up and bring with you. Just bring what you can!

We even brought IKEA flat pack which we got in the sales, again no probs!
Absolutely true, its amazing how fast your money goes when setting up here without having to worry about buying all your furniture etc too.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Agree with everyone above, would also add curtains/curtain rails and light fittings, even if you hate them. They are expensive here, they're not generally included in the house sale (that's my experience) and better to have something crap than nothing.

Also, there's another thread on here about vitamin D tablets - anything like that you're taking I would throw in the shipment. And my personal favourite, some washing powder/tablets :-)

AND travel adapters for your plugs like microwave/hoover that you can't easily change - much more expensive here

Last edited by Penny45; Apr 24th 2012 at 1:08 pm. Reason: something else!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PENNY45
Agree with everyone above, would also add curtains/curtain rails and light fittings, even if you hate them. They are expensive here, they're not generally included in the house sale (that's my experience) and better to have something crap than nothing.

Also, there's another thread on here about vitamin D tablets - anything like that you're taking I would throw in the shipment. And my personal favourite, some washing powder/tablets :-)

AND travel adapters for your plugs like microwave/hoover that you can't easily change - much more expensive here
Oh and multi plug adapters then you only (illegally) have to change one plug for the foreseeable future.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Phil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: What to ship or not

Guys, I would like to thank you all so much for your posts on this as it really helps us decide what to do, what a brilliant list of stuff we just would not even think about.

So if stuff has to be clean clean clean then maybe I better start cleaning the lawn mower now

I have started to make a list based on this thread

We just need to find a good shipping company to use from here in good ol Romford.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Tigeroldboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I read somewhere that even things like plastic containers for things such as cereals, pasta etc should be brought over.
What about televisions? Are they compatable?
Just about to visit the removal company so any advice apart from whats been said already would be appreciated. Thinking household stuff
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We did bring plastic containers, but a lot of them warped, or got damaged/went brittle, as did some of our cheaper pine furniture. It is because of the changing humidity levels and temperatures on the sea journey- but our was also stuck for an extra 8 weeks because the french went on strike, so you may be luckier.

NB Aussie windows are huge, so if your windows are typical little UK ones then the curtains won't fit!!! If you have long and wide curtains and can sew bring them over- I had to add and extra 6" to the bottom of mine. The house I moved into had no pendant lights at all, so I still have lampshades in my cupboards. Most houses have blinds round here or plantation shutters, or no curtains/blinds at all apart from the bedroom.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Emily and Damon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there just had a read through all of this and there's some really useful advise which is great!! we're thinking of moving out in the next 6 weeks and are doing a massive project over the next week to make our decision!
(sounds CRAZY I know!)
Anyway, can any of you reccommend a container/shipping company that you've used or anyone you know has used please? I'd be really greatful! Sorry Phil hope you don't mind me asking !
Emily and Damon
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Emily and Damon
Hi there just had a read through all of this and there's some really useful advise which is great!! we're thinking of moving out in the next 6 weeks and are doing a massive project over the next week to make our decision!
(sounds CRAZY I know!)
Anyway, can any of you reccommend a container/shipping company that you've used or anyone you know has used please? I'd be really greatful! Sorry Phil hope you don't mind me asking !
Emily and Damon
Hi Emily,

What area are you? we are still looking at shippers but I would rather go by recomendation on here. The list of items that have been mentioned on this thread has really made us look at what to take.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.