Reload this Page >

What to ship over

Wikiposts

What to ship over

Old Jul 8th 2003, 10:22 am
Just Joined

gedmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to ship over

Can anyone give me an idea what to stuff to ship over and what stuff to "replace when I get there"? Should I take any kitchenware and that sort of nonsense? Is it worth taking over my hi-fi?

And what companies would anyone recommend for the activity?

I SHOULD be off to Melbourne very VERY soon on a temporary long stay 4 year business sponsored thingeyo.....

Thankingyouallkindly,

Ged
Old Jul 8th 2003, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do a search on this forum and you will find the topic covered very well. worth taking into account is that it cost approx. 5 ties more to replace than ship. also find information at www.movingdownunder.co.uk
Old Jul 8th 2003, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Anamws is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to ship over

Originally posted by gedmatt
Can anyone give me an idea what to stuff to ship over and what stuff to "replace when I get there"? Should I take any kitchenware and that sort of nonsense? Is it worth taking over my hi-fi?

I SHOULD be off to Melbourne very VERY soon on a temporary long stay 4 year business sponsored thingeyo.....

Thankingyouallkindly,

Ged

Hi:

When I spoke to a few removal companies about shipping over our goods one thing he recommended was to not bother taking the refridgerator over as due to the climate there they would malfunction, (or something like that). Also if you are planning on taking your car over you will be looking at a big cost for exporting it as well as importing taxes which are charged depending on the value of the car. We were told around £4,000 for a 20ft container minimum.

:scared::scared: :scared:
Old Jul 8th 2003, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by karawara88
Do a search on this forum and you will find the topic covered very well. worth taking into account is that it cost approx. 5 ties more to replace than ship. also find information at www.movingdownunder.co.uk

Halo Donna

Can I ask you how you got the picture motorbike picture under your name as I would like to insert one under mine.

Thanks
Old Jul 8th 2003, 12:38 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thankingyouallkindly,

Ged
Don't take the car. Do take the lawnmower (clean it thoroughly)
Old Jul 8th 2003, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I can only speak from my own experiences but we took everything but the kitchen sink and were glad we did. It's quite a nice feeling to have your battered old wooden spoons sitting on your kitchen worktop at the other end of the word. Makes it feel more homely. We didn't take lawnmower but wished we had as they are expensive here. We have enough toys to set up a daycare centre, I even took baby clothes and old cot (well you never know with these cold winter nights - be prepared as they say in the guides)

We used John Mason and they were okay.

good luck
Diane
Old Jul 8th 2003, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

We've brought lots of boxes and few bits of furniture, would definetly recommend bringing more furniture as it takes money & time to buy new. Also we've now got lots of boxes of bits with nowhere to put them. Have a good clear out before you come though, don't bring things you haven't used for ages.

Loopy
Old Jul 8th 2003, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I agree with the rest bring everything you can with the exception of Video recorder, TV and Wardrobes (everywhere has built in robes)
Old Jul 8th 2003, 6:51 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I agree with the rest bring everything you can with the exception of Video recorder, TV and Wardrobes (everywhere has built in robes)
I agree to agree! Bring the heap

We also brought TVs and Vids for the kiddies rooms knowing they could only watch videos on them or use for games etc.

TV could then work as a monitor fro Aussie Video to receive TV stations through new video when you have enough dosh to replace.

Our two are pleased enough with video watching facility - not sure they want to watch aus TV, apart from the Simpsons!

We also brought Two wardrobes - decent pine ones and are happy enough, the house we rented and the one we are buying does not have built-ins in everyroom - Sydney.

Our one mistake was believing the white good advice (ie leave them they do not travel or work so well) Hubby still moaning about leaving his washing machine cause our new one does not spin so well. Plus we left European massive upright fridge only and this is proving a pain to replace. So is the fact we want a stand up fridge freezer with the frezzer on the bottom. Yes I know we can get them - but the cost is prohibitive and you have limited choice.

As far as the crappy kitchen stuff goes - the aussies I know are highly amused by the fact I brought over my sink bowl - you know the plastic one which fits inside the sink. I get so many questions as to the point of this. But I am happy!

Cheers
Old Jul 8th 2003, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Anamws
Hi:

When I spoke to a few removal companies about shipping over our goods one thing he recommended was to not bother taking the refridgerator over as due to the climate there they would malfunction, (or something like that). Also if you are planning on taking your car over you will be looking at a big cost for exporting it as well as importing taxes which are charged depending on the value of the car. We were told around £4,000 for a 20ft container minimum.

:scared::scared: :scared:

I agree with you there on the refrigerator. I have one of those big jobbies so got in touch with the manufacturer, and was informed that the British refrigerator is made for temps as high as 28 degrees and the Australian ones are made for temps of 40 degrees.
Luckily, my refrigerator is of a good make and will cope with the extreme temperatures. (pleased as it cost us a fortune).

Hope this is of some help

Whisky
Old Jul 8th 2003, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone taken a ride on mower? How did they get it cleaned?
Is it worth all the effort of taking it?

Thanks

Whisky
Old Jul 8th 2003, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

gedmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sandra
I agree to agree! Bring the heap
So the general advice is bring as much useful stuff as is humanly possible? We're going to leave our white goods behind, they're all pretty old anyway, same with our furniture, and we'll be staying in furnished rented accommodation to start with.

Stuff like plates, pots, pans and other kitchen nonsense? Do people suggest we bring it all? Has anyone had any problems with breakages en-route?

What about the microwave, toaster, kettle? Our current kitchen is pretty cool, so should we just bring the lot?

Bringing to lawnmower had never even occurred to me....

Maybe we need to rethink....

Cheers people!

Ged
Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

So the general advice is bring as much useful stuff as is humanly possible? We're going to leave our white goods behind, they're all pretty old anyway, same with our furniture, and we'll be staying in furnished rented accommodation to start with.

Stuff like plates, pots, pans and other kitchen nonsense? Do people suggest we bring it all? Has anyone had any problems with breakages en-route?

What about the microwave, toaster, kettle? Our current kitchen is pretty cool, so should we just bring the lot?

Bringing to lawnmower had never even occurred to me....

Maybe we need to rethink....

Cheers people!

Ged
I personally will be taking my kitchen contents all bar the refridgerator and cooker (which are normally come built in kitchens anyway), as I think that replacing the toaster, kettle and deep fat fryer, etc will be costly as well as too much hastle to find replacements. In essence the way I see it if it works why not, as the cost of packing it and sending it over along with other bits and pieces isn't going to be extensive. Oh, I am also planning on taking my waching machine and tumble dryer, any thoughts on that???

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 9th 2003, 12:21 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I shipped just about everything I owned. It was done by Pickfords (partly funded by work). They came and packed up everything in my house into a normal removal van - it took a day and a half - then when the container arrived they moved all the boxed and wrapped stuff into it in about 2 hrs.

I had a 20ft refrigerated container (slightly less internal space because of the insulation - so a bit cheaper). The container was mine only, so it was sealed at my house and shipped fairly quickly - I think it took 3 months.

I was a bit slack about sorting out my crap before the move and the Pickfords guys went through my house like a dose of salts, so unless I had put it in the do not pack pile it got packed (when my wife was unpacking at this end and came across half a roll of clingfilm she just looked at me and said "Why?").

The only things I did not bring were:
A few wicker baskets (laundry bin etc.) which I had been advised might be a problem.
My lawnmower (a 10 quid electric secondhand thing) - if it had been a good one I would have cleaned it thoroughly and brought it.
I did not bother with the fridge (old and not that good).
I left the washing machine (wish I had brought it as my wife's one died about 6 months after I got here).

I came over here just during the tail end of the foot and mouth fiasco so AQIS were being especially vigilant. I cleaned all my shoes with a MAAF approved liquid and did the same for all the garden tools. I also thoroughly cleaned my bike (but apparently not thoroughly enough, so AQIS steam cleaned it for me at a cost of $50). Also, AQIS kept back an old pine trunk that had signs of woodworm (it had been treated). They treated it for me (for a charge). Both the bike and the trunk were delivered separately from the main load - and each time I had to pay for the delivery as well.

All I would say is if you have the time dump the rubbish now, but if you are bringing a container you might as well fill it. Also, be prepared for AQIS to unpack stuff to check it - even though mine was packed by Pickfords and had a manifest, they still opened packs and boxes to check the contents were as stated and to check cleanliness of tools etc.