Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to see in Melbourne

What to see in Melbourne

Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

cheekymonkeys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to see in Melbourne

Hi all, I'm off to Melbourne to visit a friend. I want to do the tourist thing but also take the time to look at things like schools as we are considering moving to there. What would be good to see in June. What's the weather like in June? I'm hoping 2 weeks will be enough time to answer my questions and decide if this move is for our family.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to see in Melbourne

http://www.visitmelbourne.com/
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Oh there is so much...
Eureka Tower
Zoos
City tram tour
Vic market
Mt dandenong and sky high
Bayside
St Kilda Luna Park
Wandering the city lanes
Puffing Billy
Docklands

The list is endless, I also use the freethingstodoinmelbourne website
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

June is probably not Melbourne's finest time, but it's such an amazing city that you'll have a great time regardless. The list above is pretty good, I think a Yarra Valley wine trip is a nice day out too. For me personally, Vic market is a highlight and so is just wandering around the city. I also quite like a day incorporating Melbourne Museum, the gardens, and then a wander around Lygon Street. The Italian restaurants on Lygon are a bit corny and no doubt you can get better/cheaper but I've never had bad food, and it's as much about the day out as the food. Casa del Gelato, next to 7-11, does fantastic ricotta gelato, it's truly amazing. Gewurzhaus, a bit further up the street and on the other side, is a lovely spice shop to poke around in for a bit.

Try out a few places for breakfast; Australia does great breakfasts.

Are you particularly into anything? Food/bars/vintage/shopping etc? Might help us to give some suggestions that aren't as easily found in a guide book.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Yarra ValLey, if you can time it for a farmers market or do a winery tour, then a walk around the new Chocolaterie, bliss!!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 3:11 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What to see in Melbourne

Originally Posted by cheekymonkeys
Hi all, I'm off to Melbourne to visit a friend. I want to do the tourist thing but also take the time to look at things like schools as we are considering moving to there. What would be good to see in June. What's the weather like in June? I'm hoping 2 weeks will be enough time to answer my questions and decide if this move is for our family.
If this is a reccie foremost and a holiday second, I would try and have a good look round areas you think you might like to live in, have a practice of your potential commute, maybe get in touch with a couple of employment agencies and take the agents out to coffee.... they're normally up for this.

The weather in June is low-mid teens, can be sunny, can be cloudy, can be drizzly.

BB
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, ill be the stay at home mum. For me as I have school age kids and a toddler it's seeing what we can all do. Not just schools but the other stuff to. How cold is it going to be.
Hi Almo your suggestions are great I do like food but love animals and wildlife so hope to see some of the native animals. It's seeing what we can do with the kids that's important to after school. Defiantly going to have at look at what houses are like. My hubby is going out later so he can check out the agents like Buzzy-Bee suggested.

How is the public transport or will I need to consider taxies or hireing a car. I hope to spend some time with my friend when she's not working.

The chocolatier sounds interesting where abouts is it.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Hi cheekymonkeys

Where does your friend live? Have you been able to do much research on what your budget might be for housing etc? Public transport in Melbourne is good, IMO, but if you want to visit several different suburbs in a day or two it might be easier to hire a car, at least for some of the time you're there. Plus, if you want to get out of the city you'll do best having your own car.

I don't have kids but I know there are often threads on here about which suburbs are good for young families, and these cover lots of different budgets. If you could find yourself an afternoon to sit down with a cup of tea and go through some of those old threads you might be able to produce a short list of sorts. Your friend will be able to give his/her own advice as well.

If you come back here with a shortlist of suburbs people might be able to suggest things to check out in the local area; either fun things like amazing cafes/markets or things like shopping centres/transport links which are not quite so fun but are very important!

The Melbourne Museum/Carlton Gardens/Lygon St day would be good with kids. I think the museum is free for kids but I might be wrong. Last time I went it was $6 for an adult. There's a fantastic exhibition on creepy crawlies with lots of live spiders and a few other things. I used to take groups of foreign students to the museum, both teenagers and adults, and they always loved that part the most! You can walk over to Lygon St for lunch or an early dinner after the museum and then grab some gelati from any of the numerous gelati shops along the strip.

The weather won't be quite in your favour but you could also go for a trip to Albert Park, where the F1 is held. There is a huge sports centre there so the kids could maybe go for a swim or something, and you can walk around (part of) the lake before/afterwards. If you're into food it would be easy to combine this with a trip to South Melbourne Market where you could get something to eat.

As I said, I don't have kids so I wouldn't place too much reliance on my suggestions, I'm probably way off! They're all very central as well, so depending on where you're looking they might not be hugely relevant.

Cheers

Almo
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need warm clothes in June, but not great big heavy coats or thermal underwear! You'll def need wet weather gear - a light waterproof coat with hood is good, or a brolly.

When I visit Melbourne for pleasure (as opposed to work) in June, I just pack jeans, long sleeve tops and a lightweight wool three quarter length coat. I go for an umbrella, hoodies give me 'hat hair'. A pair of comfy, worn in joggers, one nice outfit and shoes if you plan to eat out/go out at night, undies and socks - you're done.

If you're an optimist, you can chuck in a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and sandals ;-)
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Alamo and spouse scouse. The tips on clothing is really useful. I dare say it will still be warmer than the weather we've had in the uk where spring is arriving late. Sounds like I won't need to take anything different.

My friend lives in Berwick does that help. She's offered to come and help me look at schools and houses.

I like the sound of the markets. I also read about the bus tour I think which you can hop on and off. Have you any idea how much I would need to allow for eating lunch, dinner or breakfast for the days I go out on my own?

Am getting really excited now only wished I was going a couple of months ago when it was warmer. But the main thing is I will be able to get a flavour for the place.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:48 am
Just Joined

steve44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies for the interruption but Buzzy--Bee can you please PM regarding short term rentals. (needed 3 posts to PM myself)
Cheers
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve44
Apologies for the interruption but Buzzy--Bee can you please PM regarding short term rentals. (needed 3 posts to PM myself)
Cheers
PM sent - just need your email address to send details to.

Regards

BB
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:37 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a nice lunch and drink for 20 dollars you can get cheaper a nice bowl of soup and a roll is about ten dollars same with breakfast if you take about 30 dollars a day you should be ok. Go to the lane away cafes near flinders station.

Have fun. I'm back in England or I would show you around a bit. You will like it it's a beautiful city lots to see and do.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks Asher that helps me have an idea.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 2:32 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Pre buy a Myki card online so that you can get around on trams trains and buses you have to buy the card.

The other option is to buy one at the tourist info office in Flinders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.