Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What School Year will our Kids join in Jan 07?

What School Year will our Kids join in Jan 07?

Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

jamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the rough
Default What School Year will our Kids join in Jan 07?

Hi

We are moving to Perth in January and are confused (it should be simple to understand!) about what years our two school age children will start in

Eleanor - just started primary 1 in Scotland (5 - 19 April 2001) - So we think year 1?

Douglas - just started primary 7 in Scotland (11 - 14 September 1995) - So we think year 7?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

James
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Re: What School Year will our Kids join in Jan 07?

Originally Posted by jamesegrant
Hi

We are moving to Perth in January and are confused (it should be simple to understand!) about what years our two school age children will start in

Eleanor - just started primary 1 in Scotland (5 - 19 April 2001) - So we think year 1?

Douglas - just started primary 7 in Scotland (11 - 14 September 1995) - So we think year 7?

Cheers

James
Hi James

I think Elenor will be in Prep and Douglas will be in Year 5. This is based on the Victorian school year and evidenced by my kid's ages and the years that they are in.

George born 25/7/97 aged 9 in year 3
Ted born 20/09/1999 aged 7 in year 1

Andy
Old Sep 29th 2006, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Cheers

James
Our son is currently in year 1 at the moment birthday 19.09.99 (ie just turned 7) will be in year 2 Feb 07, hope that helps. (in Perth)

Have you been in touch with any schools? You can always email them and ask them.

It depends how old the child is after June as to which year they go into.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by andy thomas
Hi James

I think Elenor will be in Prep and Douglas will be in Year 5. This is based on the Victorian school year and evidenced by my kid's ages and the years that they are in.

George born 25/7/97 aged 9 in year 3
Ted born 20/09/1999 aged 7 in year 1

Andy
WHOOPS

Sorry, my mistake, those are the years that my kids are in now and the years yours would be in if they were here now, next year they will be years 6 and 1.

Andy
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

My daughter is 11 born Dec 1994 and has just started year 7 here. We rang the school in Perth and they were really helpful but not 100% sure because she will turn 12 in Dec. They suggested we rang the Board of Education to be sure. We did this and they were great. The lady we spoke to had been a teacher in the Uk so and was up to date with the U.K education system. My daughter is starting year 7 in January in Perth. It means she repeats about 3 months but thats fine, gives her a chance to adjust to the new system.
Tracie
Hi

Cheers

James
Old Sep 30th 2006, 9:23 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What School Year will our Kids join in Jan 07?

This website tells you what age children should be when they start school and the legalities. It is for NSW so don't know if it be the same in perth but its a starting point.

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/gotosc...tingschool.php

A
xx
Old Sep 30th 2006, 11:26 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we r in Qld

daughter born 13th Aug 1995 in Jan 07 will go into year 7
son born 23rd Sep 1996 in Jan 07 will go into year 6
Old Oct 1st 2006, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids started school here in the September. All their UK friends had just moved up a year, but because the school year here starts in February, they had to do one more term of their "old" year before moving up. So your children I think, will move up to Year 1 and 7 in February. My son is 11 and he will be going up to Year 7 in February (turns 12 shortly after).

BTW the cut-off point for kids born after a certain date is June, because it has been changed recently, but for older kids (like mine) the cut-off date used to be end December.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

kozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nice

Hi

Cheers

James

Hi,

We're also aiming to move to Perth in January and have to kids age 5 (just started primary 1 in Scotland) and age 10 (just moved into primary 7) so they're at exactly same stage as your kids. Were abouts in Perth are you moving to?
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Hi James

Here is my take given what I know about how it works for Perth:

Eleanor - 5 (DoB - 19 April 2001) - Year 1 from Feb 2007 as she would currently be in Pre-primary

Douglas - 11 (DoB - 14 September 1995) - Year 6 from Feb 2007

The cut off here is end of June, therefore children whose birthday is within a few months of the 30th June will be at the older end of their class. Therefore working through for Douglas, he would have been starting Pre-Primary in Feb 2001, hence will start Year 6 in Feb 2007.

Although I have to say, I'm no expert!

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Cheers

James
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:29 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

the school years for 2007 in WA are s follows

Year Born School Year
1995 7
1996 6
1/1/97-30/6/97 5
1/7/97-30/6/98 4
1/7/98-30/6/99 3
1/7/99-30/6/00 2
1/7/00-30/6/01 1
1/7/01-30/6/02 pre primary
1/7/02-30/6/03 kindy

remember too that pre primary and kindy are not compulsory so you are not guaranteed a place at your local school, for years 1-7 you must be offered a place if you live within the zone ot you can apply "out of zone" for another school if places are avilable.

Lynn