Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What school year will my kids be in?

What school year will my kids be in?

Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

gabby_cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What school year will my kids be in?

I think the school years run the same in Aus as they do in the UK, just starting a term later, is that right? I have two kids, one born in Nov 2001 and one in July 2003. I would expect them to be year 5 & 4 when we arrive in April - am I correct?

Does that mean my oldest child will be doing NAPLAN tests in May? What is the pressure like for these tests? I am pretty relaxed about them as she has always done well on her SATS but the year 6's in the UK seem to be put under a lot of pressure for their SATS and I want to know what to expect.

Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2012, 10:22 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What school year will my kids be in?

Originally Posted by gabby_cat
I think the school years run the same in Aus as they do in the UK, just starting a term later, is that right? I have two kids, one born in Nov 2001 and one in July 2003. I would expect them to be year 5 & 4 when we arrive in April - am I correct?

Does that mean my oldest child will be doing NAPLAN tests in May? What is the pressure like for these tests? I am pretty relaxed about them as she has always done well on her SATS but the year 6's in the UK seem to be put under a lot of pressure for their SATS and I want to know what to expect.

Thanks
It depends where you are going to. If you are coming to WA then your eldest would be in year 5 but your youngest would only be in year 3. My daughter is July 2002 and she is entering year 4 this year. Naplans are done in years 3, 5, 7 and 9 so both your kids would sit them this year.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

School years for 2012 are Feb 1st to December 18th. The age years run from July 1st to June 30th.

What state are you moving to?

In WA the child born in july 2003 will be going into year 3, just missed out to go into year 4 by having a July birthday and will be one of the oldest in the class.
The child born in Nov 2001 will be going into year 5
Old Jan 16th 2012, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

gabby_cat is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be in NSW. That's an interesting reply though, i hadn't expected the younger one to be going in to year 3. His birthday is 3rd July. He will have already done 1 and half terms of year 4 in the UK, I wonder if this will make any difference, I would hate to see him have to repeat a year.

Last edited by gabby_cat; Jan 16th 2012 at 10:31 am.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 10:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gabby_cat
I will be in NSW.
Looks like NSW is the end of July as a cut off so I think you are probably right about years 5 and 4. Hopefully someone from NSW will be along to confirm that.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup cut off date 31 July in NSW however a child coming new into a system with a 3 July birthday they will look very closely and may suggest going into year 3 rather than year 4.

Dont get your knickers in a knot about NAPLAN, it's not the be all and end all.

To the OP, Australia is made up of a number of states, all of which cling steadfastly to their own cut off dates, year names, age at entry and departure so you cant make blanket statements about what happens in Australia compared with the UK.

If you are heading for NSW I assume you are going on a permanent resident visa otherwise you are aware that there are fees for temporary residents in government schools ($4.5k per child per annum paid up front) - just a heads up in case you werent aware and it applies to you

Last edited by quoll; Jan 16th 2012 at 5:41 pm.