Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What school year will my child be in, in OZ?

What school year will my child be in, in OZ?

Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future
Default What school year will my child be in, in OZ?

Hello, we are hopefully going over to Oz (Brisbane) in October and I was just wondering if my daughter will start the pre-school year in January.

She is 5 on January 16th and will be starting UK pre-School this September and is more than ready for it.

We were just hoping that her birthday being in January does not put her back a year because she is well ahead and very bored of nursery now.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by caleb2003; Jul 24th 2006 at 7:30 am.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What school year will my child be in, in OZ?

[QUOTE=caleb2003]Hello, we are hopefully going over to Oz (Brisbane) in October and I was just wondering if my daughter will start the pre-school year in January.

She is 5 on January 16th and will be starting UK pre-School this September and is more than ready for it.

We were just hoping that her birthday being in January does not put her back a year because she is well ahead and very bored of nursery now.

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE

I think here in Queensland she would start the new prep year in January
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

I think here in Queensland she would start the new prep year in January[/QUOTE]

I hope your right, thanks for the reply.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Yep she would start prep as our year runs from Jan to Dec.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
yep agree with karen!

she'll be in prep!

hugs geex
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Does it not depend on the date>? What I mean is if the school year starts Jan 31st then would she have to wait until the next.

As in, over here if your birthday is Aug 31st and school starts in sep 7th then you wait until next year.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Here is all the info you will need on the new prep year:
http://education.qld.gov.au/etrf/prep.html
Kaz x
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Kaz x
Just put your daughters date of birth in the calculator on this website & she will go into prep. There is also a link for you to get the GET SET FOR PREP PACK.
kaz x
Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Kaz x

Thanks thats a great link.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

If it's anything like Victoria the kindergartens will do their best to get you to delay a year suggesting that they may not be as advanced because Aussies tend to hold back.

My son beat the cut off date (30 April) by just a few days but he was so ready so we sent him anyway. It's been a great social success for him although academically he's not as advanced as some 7 year olds in the same class who are already reading war and peace and multiplying by googal but he's going to repeat prep so he gets the best out of both options. He's developed academically already, is very confident, happy and busy.

So if your child appears ready I'd go for it even if local advice is negative. Good luck.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:21 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip
If it's anything like Victoria the kindergartens will do their best to get you to delay a year suggesting that they may not be as advanced because Aussies tend to hold back.

My son beat the cut off date (30 April) by just a few days but he was so ready so we sent him anyway. It's been a great social success for him although academically he's not as advanced as some 7 year olds in the same class who are already reading war and peace and multiplying by googal but he's going to repeat prep so he gets the best out of both options. He's developed academically already, is very confident, happy and busy.

So if your child appears ready I'd go for it even if local advice is negative. Good luck.
Can i ask then,if my son was born in October,going by the calculator on the above mentioned website ,he wont start until 2008! when he will be 6.What happens if like you say they are more than ready to go,will they accept them anyway if you insist?
This is a little way off for my little one,but just wanted to know? Thanks
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:11 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

just checked for my lil man, hes july 03 baby, so would go to prep in 2008! that seems a long way off!
Originally Posted by M J
Can i ask then,if my son was born in October,going by the calculator on the above mentioned website ,he wont start until 2008! when he will be 6.What happens if like you say they are more than ready to go,will they accept them anyway if you insist?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M J
The school year starts in January so he would start in the January after he turns 5.