Reload this Page >

What salary is good salary?

What salary is good salary?

Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:06 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What salary is good salary?

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
That would depend on where you lived in canada and dont forget federal and provincial income tax.
I used to have to gross $1800 a week to take home $1000 (1994) in newfoundland where the provincial portion of income tax was 69% of the federal amount, maybe it would be lower in ontario.
$1800 a week in newfoundland would get you $1080 after tax now. In Alberta its $1190 but in Quebec it would be almost $1400. You chose to live in an expensive part no doubt. But that is a high salary anyway. You may have needed to earn $1800 to take home $1000 but if you was earning $1400 a week your take home would have been almost $900 so thats where the high end tax bracket comes in.

But the point is not how much you earn after tax, but how easily that can sustain you, on that salary i bet you could easily afford to live very comfortably
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:08 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Damn... Damn........................... 80k, 90k what all K's!
you guys are putting my ass on fire. who dont want to earn more money?
well, I should settle with 45k no worries. But I feel they pay peanuts in Melb if they pay 45k.
Whats your comment? Should I consult Lisa?
I am ok with that though but even i want to buy ford if not merc
thanks for all replies and I see how enthusastic people are in name of money )
One thing to note the tax is hec too much in Oz. Earn 45k and end up 15k giving donation to Govt, also pay GST and blah blah in name of tax.

- Bart.
PS: Yes I am the one with spiky hair, i think i need to go to springfield(US)... Homer Homer...
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
For a average living single.
Bhoo
- Bart...
Myself and my hubby have a combined income of around 95k and it is a bit of a struggle, rent and car being our highest outgoings. I believe that in the uk for the same salary we could have a better standard of living, in my opinion the cost of living here is way higher.

Lany
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:35 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lany
in my opinion the cost of living here is way higher.
Lany
Right on the bull's eye...
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

What you consider to be a good salary really depends on your lifestyle and your outgoings.
Back in London I have a mortgage and bills and I like going out a lot which is very expensive. So the 30k I was earning in England was sufficient, but I didn't have much left over each month (in fact, often went into the red).
Here I'm earning $62k (about 25k, though this is only for three months as I'm on a WHV) but as I am just renting very cheaply in a shared flat, have no bills, and going out is much cheaper, I can't seem to be able to spend all my monthly wage even if I try!!!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hubbard
That's individual - joint income $160k to $200K is good to live on and save for youe retirement.
Yep, I agree with this too. A joint income of $150k plus in Perth would allow you to live in a good area, run 2 nice cars, eat what you want, go out when you want,2 overseas holidays a year, invest, private school for kids & most importantly save for your retirement. Cost of living is only slightly less than the UK, tax is higher. I wouldn't live here on anything less.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:23 am
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yep, I agree with this too. A joint income of $150k plus in Perth would allow you to live in a good area, run 2 nice cars, eat what you want, go out when you want,2 overseas holidays a year, invest, private school for kids & most importantly save for your retirement. Cost of living is only slightly less than the UK, tax is higher. I wouldn't live here on anything less.
Dont worry the Govt. has 12bil'ion surplus there will be more tax cuts in 2005/6 or 6/7.... whatever.....
if you are driving 2 hondas you will then drive 2 ford C class....
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
Dont worry the Govt. has 12bil'ion surplus there will be more tax cuts in 2005/6 or 6/7.... whatever.....
if you are driving 2 hondas you will then drive 2 ford C class....
I fancy 2 BMWs myself . Good stuff. There will be tax cuts if the liberals stay in. Forget it if the other mob get in, they'll give it all to the unions & dole bludgers.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:23 am
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I fancy 2 BMWs myself . Good stuff. There will be tax cuts if the liberals stay in. Forget it if the other mob get in, they'll give it all to the unions & dole bludgers.
Then it will be time to go back... Even Govt is not happy on citizens and locals..
Old Nov 25th 2005, 10:08 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shaun&Dee
I'm hoping that i can live on minimum $70k as a chartered QS in Brisbane
looking for a job???? PM me
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lany
Myself and my hubby have a combined income of around 95k and it is a bit of a struggle, rent and car being our highest outgoings. I believe that in the uk for the same salary we could have a better standard of living, in my opinion the cost of living here is way higher.

Lany
Hi Lany,

I am hoping to move to Melbourne next year if Visa goes OK. I am a Chartered Surveyor and have been told that I could expect a salary of around 70K to start with. I have two children and my husband is British Army and although reached top of promotion ladder has no bits of paper to prove his admin and accounting abilities. We are therefore assuming I will be main breadwinner. My children are 10 and 7 so big step, but not lived in UK for 10 years and cannot face going back. Planning on living in Mornington, Mount Martha, South Frankston. You have concerned me about cost of living. was not expecting an easy ride or that cost of living was cheaper ( a recent visit confirmed cost of food etc) but hoping overall the same / equal discount as wages. Any advise on Melbourne living from someone who is there would be greatly received.

Cheryl
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jjonboy
looking for a job???? PM me
Hoping RICS will help me find job in Melbourne, perhaps you can offer advice? General practice Surveyor ex Strutt and Parker ( London), Vigers ( Hong Kong) now Defence Estates (Germany). Looking for permanent move to settle family in Victoria with relatives. 139 Visa application about to start, need to apply to VETASSESS. Will be main salary earner so important I line myself up with job.

Cheryl
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:35 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Hoping RICS will help me find job in Melbourne, perhaps you can offer advice? General practice Surveyor ex Strutt and Parker ( London), Vigers ( Hong Kong) now Defence Estates (Germany). Looking for permanent move to settle family in Victoria with relatives. 139 Visa application about to start, need to apply to VETASSESS. Will be main salary earner so important I line myself up with job.

Cheryl
QS seems to be £40-£70k for chartered QS in Sunshine Coast. Around 100k in Sydney from what I've seen.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:59 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shaun&Dee
QS seems to be £40-£70k for chartered QS in Sunshine Coast. Around 100k in Sydney from what I've seen.
100k as a package would be considered a quite good to very good salary for a chartered qs in Sydney. you should only expect about 70 or so for a starting wage though and work up over about two years......

you always get the "well you've no local experience... blah blah..." to begin with....

takes a while to get used to local prices etc also.... plenty of work about though at the moment...

not sure about general practice surveyors.... i'm a building surveyor but work with a multi disciplined practice who employ Qs's
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevensfamily

Cheryl
Hi there we are in NE Victoria and hubby works for ADI so has just been through VETASSESS etc, he is a scientist so can't comment on your particular area but there are a couple of people who are ex-forces in the Melbourne area. We came over from Belgium when Ian got his job offer with ADI so we are here on a 457 while the application for PR is going ahead. Drop me a PM if you want Ian to check out ADI for jobs for your OH if you would be happy living out of the city. They are a defense company so you may find work that they are happy to look at experience rather than paper qualifications depending on his area of expertise.
Good luck with it all.
Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.