Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What salary is good salary?

What salary is good salary?

Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:43 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What salary is good salary?

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
So this forum has revealed a different side to society for me - the subtle "Loadsamoney!" comments which ostensibly say, "Will I cope?" but are often really saying "Look at my package!"
Hmmm

I earn a good wage here in the UK. I can support my family on it and although I can't go out and buy a Ferrari or 6 weeks in the Seychelles, I don't have to worry about not being able to afford the day to day bills.

And that's where I think a lot of us are coming from.

We want a better lifestyle, or certainly not a worse one than we have in the UK. If we had to worry about the day to day cost of living that would not be a better lifestyle, it would be worse.

It doesn't matter how close you are to a beach, or mountains, or whatever blows your skirt up, if you can't afford to live day to day without worry about whether you can afford the basics, the quality of life is irrelevant.

You can't eat the scenery.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What salary is good salary?

all good stuff Breezy, if you can afford to get out of the wage spiral but not be looking for the next cent then you're on to a good thing I reckon.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hmmm

I earn a good wage here in the UK. I can support my family on it and although I can't go out and buy a Ferrari or 6 weeks in the Seychelles, I don't have to worry about not being able to afford the day to day bills.

And that's where I think a lot of us are coming from.

We want a better lifestyle, or certainly not a worse one than we have in the UK. If we had to worry about the day to day cost of living that would not be a better lifestyle, it would be worse.

It doesn't matter how close you are to a beach, or mountains, or whatever blows your skirt up, if you can't afford to live day to day without worry about whether you can afford the basics, the quality of life is irrelevant.

You can't eat the scenery.

Cheers

Buzzy
Of course. But everyone knows (or can find out) what the exchange rate is. People also know (or again can find out from this forum) that the cost of living is similar to the UK.
So to a very great extent you have a good idea if you can survive or not. Marginal salaries (and I consider my starting wage as marginal) - fine you can understand the hesitancy but those salary figures that are way above (50-100% above) the average? Are people really concerned that they might not be able to afford the day to day cost of living on those kind of salaries?

The only way to really sort through the subjectivity of lifestyle costs is to work out your everyday living costs to survive in the UK. As a rule of thumb they will be the same here in Australia. Then note down what you would like to do which would make your quality of life as you want it. Jetskiing, holidays in Fiji etc etc and then post and ask if anyone has any ideas of prices.
Then do the sums - will you have enough or not?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I think you actually mean Melbourne
Perhaps TNQR should wear a BADGE to identify his current location?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:06 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: What salary is good salary?

Originally Posted by steve99
No im sure whatever anyone says there will always be a sense of generalisation, just like there will always be a personal slant. If I took Perth as an example (because thats where I live, work, understand etc) I would imagine the "majority" of people who are coming over will probably have to work, the "majority" will probably end up working in the City or fairly close to it, I would think the "majority" coming over from the UK will be looking to leave behind the things they dont like in the UK, for me I would say one of my major gripes was having to spend an hour each way in the car to get to the office, so for the "majority" living in the hills or living an hour+ drive away isnt going to be ideal, the Beach and river are also going to be fairly big draw cards for the "majority" of people coming over. Not having Kids I dont know what effect Schooling has but I would imagine this is factor in choosing where to settle. All of these factors taken into account and you just cant get a property for $300K.
The only criterion you have listed above which would exclude properties under $300,000, is "close to the beach and/or river." But that's a luxury item anyway, so we can safely ignore it. It's a "want", not a "need."

Living in the Adelaide Hills would put me half an hour from the city. I think that's fair enough - particularly since I probably wouldn't be working in the city anyway. Suburbs like Adlgate, Stirling, Bridgewater and Belair are all in the Adelaide Hills - and highly sought after, too. Yet they are no more than about 30-35 minutes from Adelaide city.

I dont see that they are that high, If I had said $2-3 Mill then that would be high ( I wouldnt expect people earning enough to live in propertys like that to be surfing the Net and posting on BE )
$700,000 is more than double the price of the average property in Perth, and about 14 times the average Australian salary of around $50,0000 (source.) I would think that this counts as high in anyone's book.

Let's put it another way.

The average price for a fully detached house in England and Wales is £307,766 (source.) Now let's double that figure and add a bit (as you have done with Perth.) This gives us £715,532 - which is about 31 times the average UK salary of £22,411 (source.)

Still convinced that this is not a lot of money?

Have a look on www.realestate.com.au you'll find houses at any amount of money, you'll find propertys around the $700K in the majority of suburbs. I would imagine its a pretty normal lifestyle, get up , work, go home, eat, sleep same again for the next 4 days, maybe a bit of leisure, shopping, eating, drinking etc at the weekend, pretty average stuff I would of thought
"In the majority of suburbs"? No, that's a gross exaggeration. Think about it; if $700k properties were fould in the majority of suburbs, the average price for WA would be a lot higher than $300k!

But this is not actually the case.

Take a look at the suburb profiles here. I don't see a lot of $700k properties there, do you? In fact, I see a lot of suburbs with an average price of $300k - and those are city suburbs, too. No more than half an hour from Perth at most.

I agree you dont have to spend a fortune and I dont consider $700K to be a fortune. Sure I could buy a house for $250K but it couldnt be located anywhere near a location I would want to live in.
Perhaps not in WA, no.

Just because you choose to live in an area that gives you the property you want in the location you want at $280K doesnt mean thats par for the course. Your in a very fortunate position that your ambitions and goals are to end up with a "property/lifestyle/location" package that only costs $280K, this isnt realistic for the "majority".
My criteria for a home are as follows:
  • Big enough for myself, the missus and a sprog or two.

• Pleasant scenery (lots of grass and trees, etc.)

• Peaceful and quiet.

• Low crime rate.

• Handy for shops and schools.

• Convenient for work.

• $300,000 or less.

I think that's a pretty reasonable list, don't you? And I can tick all of those boxes with an Adelaide Hills property.

Whilst the average Perth property price is just over the $300K this is still an unrealistic figure, for the "majority" of people coming over from now onwards they will struggle to find anything under $400K within about 30mins commute of the city.
Oh really? That "Perth profiles" site shows otherwise, as does my own personal experience with the Perth property market.

[quote]Unfortunately your just not being realistic about the property market here[quote]

Hmmm, let's see...

I was born and raised in Perth. In 2001 I bought a house in Midland (6056) for $91,000 - 2 bed, one bath on a quarter acre block, fully renovated with electronic reticulation, polished jarrah floorboards, security screens on the windows, a brand new kitchen and bathroom, a brand new block paved driveway with a brand new carport, and an air conditioner in the master bedroom.

It was just under 30 minutes from the city - which was irrelevant to me anyway, since I worked 15-20 minutes away in Cloverdale (6105.) I sold it in 2003 and made a 40% profit.

So yes, I think I am being perfectly realistic.

I know Perth is pretty much the exception to the rule in OZ at the moment, but I cant imagine the equivilent types of locations the "majority" of people will need to live in will cost any less in other city's.
Need or want?

There's a world of difference between those two terms - but in my experience, too many people conflate them.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 13th 2006 at 1:19 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 1:43 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The only criterion you have listed above which would exclude properties under $300,000, is "close to the beach and/or river." But that's a luxury item anyway, so we can safely ignore it. It's a "want", not a "need." .
Not correct, proximity to the City where most people will have to work is going to govern the cost, one of numerous examples , Subiaco, about 3KM from the City not on the beach or river, no chance of a house under $500K... Also surerly Schooling must play a part for families deciding where to end up ?? are the schools that bad here that they have no effect on their local housing markets?

Living in the Adelaide Hills would put me half an hour from the city. I think that's fair enough - particularly since I probably wouldn't be working in the city anyway. Suburbs like Adlgate, Stirling, Bridgewater and Belair are all in the Adelaide Hills - and highly sought after, too. Yet they are no more than about 30-35 minutes from Adelaide city.
Sorry have no understanding of whats where in Adelaide, Is that a rush hour commuting time into the CBD? I always here people over here saying so and so is only a 25 min drive into the city, generally you can double that at 8 in the morning and 5 at night.

$700,000 is more than double the price of the average property in Perth, and about 14 times the average Australian salary of around $50,0000 (source.) I would think that this counts as high in anyone's book.

Let's put it another way.

The average price for a fully detached house in England and Wales is £307,766 (source.) Now let's double that figure and add a bit (as you have done with Perth.) This gives us £715,532 - which is about 31 times the average UK salary of £22,411 (source.)

Still convinced that this is not a lot of money?
No its not a lot of money, its approx £300K, which as you pointed out is the average price in the UK, It shows that if someone was swapping UK for OZ they would roughly be looking at swapping a UK property valued at around £300K and would be getting an OZ one for around $700K.

"In the majority of suburbs"? No, that's a gross exaggeration. Think about it; if $700k properties were fould in the majority of suburbs, the average price for WA would be a lot higher than $300k!.
No because there are suburbs packed full of cheap units selling for under the average, they artificually drag the average down, also due to sprawling nature there are suburbs which are obviously cheaper because they are no where near the city and arent true reflections of propertys you would want to live in.
But this is not actually the case.

Take a look at the suburb profiles here. I don't see a lot of $700k properties there, do you? In fact, I see a lot of suburbs with an average price of $300k - and those are city suburbs, too. No more than half an hour from Perth at most.
Thats the whole point the average is a load of ....... its not a true realistic figure for property's/areas you would want to move across the world to end up living in....

My criteria for a home are as follows:
  • Big enough for myself, the missus and a sprog or two.

• Pleasant scenery (lots of grass and trees, etc.)

• Peaceful and quiet.

• Low crime rate.

• Handy for shops and schools.

• Convenient for work.

• $300,000 or less.

I think that's a pretty reasonable list, don't you? And I can tick all of those boxes with an Adelaide Hills property.
Thats great for you, but it doesnt mean it will suit everyone....
Mine would be about the same but would include within a 20 min commute of work (rush hour not sunday afternoon) within 10mins of the beach, good transport links into the city and other "popular" areas. Good consistent growth and as guaranteed as possible to be a good long term investment.
Nothing unreasonable to expect when your deciding to move across the world for a "better" life.

Oh really? That "Perth profiles" site shows otherwise, as does my own personal experience with the Perth property market.

Hmmm, let's see...

I was born and raised in Perth. In 2001 I bought a house in Midland (6056) for $91,000 - 2 bed, one bath on a quarter acre block, fully renovated with electronic reticulation, polished jarrah floorboards, security screens on the windows, a brand new kitchen and bathroom, a brand new block paved driveway with a brand new carport, and an air conditioner in the master bedroom.

It was just under 30 minutes from the city - which was irrelevant to me anyway, since I worked 15-20 minutes away in Cloverdale (6105.) I sold it in 2003 and made a 40% profit.

So yes, I think I am being perfectly realistic.

Sorry but you've completely lost me as to how this experiece from 5 years ago has any relevance on the market today, when were talking about people coming into Perth and not being able to buy decent property at anywhere near the average Perth price.
The fact that you bought before the market took off is great, the only problem is you should of held on to it as you would of made a lot more than 40%.

Need or want?

There's a world of difference between those two terms - but in my experience, too many people conflate them.
It comes down to interpretation, personal choice and everyone being different.
Just because something works for one person doesnt mean it does for everyone else.
Wherever you end up living you choose that property/location because you want it, not because you need it.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Perhaps TNQR should wear a BADGE to identify his current location?
pah! ;-) foiled again
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steve, I think alot of people are moving around the world and settling for a property which they later regret on! They don't notice 'problems' as they are disguised with sun and big houses. By the time you buy a new car, etc, many migrants won't be able to afford a $700 home, or at least they would rather hold money back for a reserve or for start-up costs.

My own view :I know Perth is going through a boom, but I don't think it will last forever, even the govt is saying that, and some people are paying too much.

I think Vash has points like, people confuse needs with wants.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:06 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Steve, I think alot of people are moving around the world and settling for a property which they later regret on! They don't notice 'problems' as they are disguised with sun and big houses. By the time you buy a new car, etc, many migrants won't be able to afford a $700 home, or at least they would rather hold money back for a reserve or for start-up costs.

My own view :I know Perth is going through a boom, but I don't think it will last forever, even the govt is saying that, and some people are paying too much.

I think Vash has points like, people confuse needs with wants.
I'm sure there are heaps of people that have moved around the world and made the wrong decision (for any number of reasons), I know if I hadnt of done the research I had done, had realistic expectations of what it does really cost here and then got lucky and made a quick decision on the property I live in I would be gutted now.
I dont doubt that what Vash has chosen to live in is anything other than what he wants, but he comes across as pretty narrow minded as he expects everyone to only want the same as he does, and implies people are foolish for wanting anything above "average" and should just make do...

I dont think anyone should just settle for the average and plod along, you only get your life once, seize the opportunity and make a go of it, I would hate to look back on my life and think it was average, completely pointless in my view.

I was also trying to point out is that if you see the average house price for Perth as being $300K and expect to arrive here and find something for that money in an area I would expect most people who have decided to leave everything behind and move across the globe for, for that money most are going to be pretty dissapointed and it could potentially be a disaster for them.

Sure Perth is going through a boom and yes im sure it will slow down or stop, but at the moment there no sign of it happening, so why wouldnt you jump on board and benefit from it??? rather than sit around waiting for something that may never happen.
I agree people are probably paying to much for certain propertys, in my view its for places that are further and further away from the city.
What ever the future holds I cant see there being any significant price drops, and if you buy in the right suburbs your only ever going to be heading in one direction.

Needs and wants are all down to personal interpretation, there is no right/wrong answer to this discussion.
Everyone is different, everyone's entitled to an opinion, everyone should respect everyone else's view/opinion.
Steve