What a RIP off

Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all
Default What a RIP off

Just been to see my 18yr old nephew's 'new' but second hand car , a Citroen Saxo 2000. This is his first year driving but has to pay a whopping £2000 fully comp insurance, S*#T I hope car insurance is cheaper in Oz for when my two daughters learn to drive. No wonder they call it Rip of Britain
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a RIP off

Originally Posted by AndyD
Just been to see my 18yr old nephew's 'new' but second hand car , a Citroen Saxo 2000. This is his first year driving but has to pay a whopping £2000 fully comp insurance, S*#T I hope car insurance is cheaper in Oz for when my two daughters learn to drive. No wonder they call it Rip of Britain
My 2 nephews both have cars theyre 17 and 19 and they pay some stupid amount aswell but then my mams friends dad is 95 :scared: just bought a new car and his insurance is £350 :scared: Bloody stupid eh!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:03 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I remember paying around £500 3rd party for a old metro and that was over 10yrs ago. Given that and that males in that age group new to driving are a greater risk (eg recent stats show road deaths are only increasing in the younger age group where as the rest are falling) then there is no surprise fully comp is that much.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light
Angry Re: What a RIP off

My 18 year old daughter has just passed her test and bought a Renault Clio.

Third Party Fire and Theft - £1200 !!!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Didnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by walaj
I remember paying around £500 3rd party for a old metro and that was over 10yrs ago. Given that and that males in that age group new to driving are a greater risk (eg recent stats show road deaths are only increasing in the younger age group where as the rest are falling) then there is no surprise fully comp is that much.

Younger age group and apparently middle aged men are the problem age group, according to some crap magazine

BTW I have a couple of jokes regarding middle aged men (probs crap but cant resist)

"Why do middle aged men carry clear lunch boxes"!!!!!
"So they know if they're going to or coming home from work"

"Whats the difference between a clown and a middle aged man"!!!!!
"The clown knows he dresses funny"

No offence intended and no I'm not middle aged, considerably younger actually!!!

Cheers
Michelle
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by walaj
My first car was a ford capri MkII 1974, i was earning £50 but only paying £150!!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance in oz is certainly cheaper for the teenagers. We insured the car in our names and put our daughter on as a named young person and also as the main driver and the insurance for the car was just under $500 for the year.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mand8002
Insurance in oz is certainly cheaper for the teenagers. We insured the car in our names and put our daughter on as a named young person and also as the main driver and the insurance for the car was just under $500 for the year.
What a relief, no doubt like most parents will end up paying!!

Last edited by AndyD; Sep 16th 2005 at 11:19 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

I think in Oz that the yearly vehicle registration fee includes compulsory third-party only insurance. I guess this is for vehicles driven with the owners consent by anyone with a valid driving license, though I'm not exactly sure on the details. You can optionally buy separate additional comprehensive insurance which will be charged according to the named drivers' accident and conviction records.

The effect of this insurance setup in Oz is that young men are able to drive perfectly legally big V8's and "hoon" around the suburbs doing donuts etc., and being a general pest. In the UK similar youths are in theory priced out of running these vehicles by the insurance companies: what happens of course is they drive completely uninsured.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 11:30 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Storini
I think in Oz that the yearly vehicle registration fee includes compulsory third-party only insurance. I guess this is for vehicles driven with the owners consent by anyone with a valid driving license, though I'm not exactly sure on the details....
One of the details is that unlike Third party insurance in the UK, the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance that is part of your rego here (at least here in Qld) only covers you (or rather anyone you crash into) for personal injury, so if you have that and run into a car and write it off, you will be liable for the cost of the damage. For that reason alone, I would always opt for fully comprehensive insurance. Almost as importantly, if someone with only rego and CTP (or worse, no rego) runs into you and writes off your car you will have to try and get the cost from them personally - and since the sort of people who drive around illegally in unregistered vehicles are often the sort of people who have no money other than what the state is good enough to provide them from your taxes - you will be lucky to get anything.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Sep 17th 2005, 7:07 am
Oxygen Pig

TRIMIX will become famous soon enoughTRIMIX will become famous soon enough

A long time ago when I was eighteen I bought a mini van £350 and it cost me £88 pounds third party only they would not insure me for anything else other than paying a sky high premium, I was earning about £27.50 on the YTS scheme, as an electrician apprentice, which killed me finiancially. Unfortunately insurance companies rip you off they know wages for youngsters are low but still hammer you and they call it the because you are unsafe, and like driving fast. I understand how you feel. It still costs an arm and a leg eighteen years on with no points, convictions, or accidents.
Old Sep 17th 2005, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I first started driving I bought an old Honda Civic for £400 and my insurance cost £700, third party only!!!

Okay that was back in 1990 but Im sure the fact that the insurance cost more than the car shows that they have been ripping people off for years.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Here in WA there's no insurance (apart from the tax disc, which is your third party injury - not damage insurance) and there's no MOT either.

Result: lots of young people driving like idiots in unroadworthy V8s.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, hope this makes you feel better, my daughter is 19, she paid 1000 pound in UK, here she pays $900 for the year fully comp.She has a new ford fiesta 1.6, she could not have got insurance for that in Uk. But i got a quate the other day just out of curiosity, with Budget and they where cheaper. Denise
Old Sep 18th 2005, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Do they call it rip off australia, new zealand, usa and canada too then Car insurance for young drivers is always more anywhere.
Australias got one of the highest young driver death rates in the world.

To insure a $8000 car for our then 17 year old was around the $1600 simarly shocking on aussie wages and he had to carry a $1500 excess to get it that low. However as others have pointed out most youngies drive with nothing but the third party compulsory injury insurance here. And most drive mechanically unstable 20/30 year old wrecks Fingers up time if your car is written off by teenage hoon, and a nice legal event as your car insurer tries to recoup from the uninsured teen

Just think your lucky your not off to new zealand kids can drive at 15 there

Last edited by jad n rich; Sep 18th 2005 at 4:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.