Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What religion do you "belong" to?

View Poll Results: Do you call yourself....
Catholic
14.45%
Protestant
20.81%
Jewish
0.58%
Moslem
3.47%
Other "established" religion
4.05%
Sect (Scientologist, Brethren etc)
1.73%
Agnostic
13.29%
Aetheist
41.62%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

What religion do you "belong" to?

Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:15 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default What religion do you "belong" to?

It would be interesting to find out whether there's a preponderance of believers or otherwise on ExPats...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:17 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What religion do you "belong" to?

Originally Posted by Wol
It would be interesting to find out whether there's a preponderance of believers or otherwise on ExPats...
Oh goody, this thread can't turn into a slanging match

Anyway, I do have faith, in myself.

Organised religion is for the weak.

But live and let live eh?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

The one led by Richard Dawkins.

http://richarddawkins.net/firstChapter,1
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

mo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nice

I'm catholic, not an active one! My little 7 year old angel goes to catholic school and we are bombarded with attending church etc etc. The thing is, he doesn't understand a thing! Made his first forgiveness a few weeks ago and First Holy Communion coming soon......it's a day out and a chance to dress up for him! Makes my blood boil really when you see the priest dining on lobster, steak etc........
yesterday was ash wednesday and my little fella asked "did we get ashes put on our heads coz of what happened to the Man United players that crashed 50 years ago???! Enough said...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:23 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

No religion of any kind for me

But I do believe in being a good person and having morals. I don't need religion to do that. Besides, there are lots of religous people that are not good people (although I'm sure many are). I'm just say that believing in god or being religous does not automatically make you a good person.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Jedi, as is my wife and son.

No really - that's what we put down as religion on the last census both in the UK and here.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:33 am
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol
Could walk yourself into trouble here..but just to get it going...I was a "Protestant" (Church of Scotland) from a very biggoted background up until I was 17, after joining the Army and a few "tours" of Northern Ireland in the late 70's early 80's I dropped my "Religion", I married an "English Catholic" which caused no end of arguements about her being English let alone Catholic to the point of physical violence within my own family!!

As I had dropped my religion my wife wanted to "christen" the children Catholic, I agreed on the proviso that the kids could choose what they wanted to be when old enough.....

I still claim no "banner" to hide under and believe in my wife and children!

Last edited by TJUK; Feb 7th 2008 at 7:36 am.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

None. It's all total bow locks and for people who don't wish to take responsibility for their own actions.

Saying that if others believe and are happy to then good luck to them

Maybe I know the wrong people but everyone I know of who are religious are far more lacking in compassion than those that are Atheist or Agnostic.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:40 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

My theory is that if there is a god he wouldn't want me spending my life worshipping him. What kind of god is that? If god were really like that I'd tell him to stuff it!

So, really I don't believe in god. I don't argue with those who do. And I don't even deny the possibility. I'm just more of a show me the proof without a doubt kind of person
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:45 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I am an atheist.... I don't believe in any supreme being.... I do not believe in creationism, I believe in evolution...

When I die I believe that my consciousness will disappear completely and that my body will, once more join the circle of life!

People do bad things, but real evil needs religion!

(Ali steps off soap box, before she goes on too much!)

Ali x
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

melaniepittam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by comet555

But I do believe in being a good person and having morals. I don't need religion to do that. Besides, there are lots of religous people that are not good people (although I'm sure many are). I'm just say that believing in god or being religous does not automatically make you a good person.
Well said
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough

I am Jewish - but its much more than just a religion its a culture, a way of life, a history.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by comet555

well said comet, I'm RC, wife is C of E, we don't bother with any of this clap trap, although it does open up the Catholic schools for our kids, but that's just us being practical.

In Oz, I have come across quite a few "Religious" or "Church" type people in a professional working relationship that I can honestly say are actually misguided , often to the brutal detriment of those weaker people around them, seems this religious belief gives them the right ............ :curse:

I'll stop there.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:27 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Having seen the Matrix (the first one, the other two were crap) I am convinced I am just playing a computer game Therefore I don't worry about much as I can always do better next game. There are hidden bonuses to collect, clues to be found, de ja vu is replaying the game... (a bit like that impossible quiz)
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:27 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear - I wrote the preamble and only fixed the poll after dinner - I didn't realise that the preamble would be posted immediately!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.