Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is really "progressive" in Australia?

Wikiposts

What is really "progressive" in Australia?

Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is really "progressive" in Australia?

Originally Posted by Exile
I read the other day that pizza is high in trans-fatty acids. Is that true?
It would be if it was made with trans fats. If it was Pizza Hut it would be pretty easy to find out - web site maybe? I guess the food labels would tell you on the shop bought packets, but I'd be suspicious of any that didn't specifically say.

I make my own for my kids, with flour, olive oil, salt, water - dough programme in the bread machine, roll it out and chuck on toppings. Much safer than bought stuff.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
It would be if it was made with trans fats. If it was Pizza Hut it would be pretty easy to find out - web site maybe? I guess the food labels would tell you on the shop bought packets, but I'd be suspicious of any that didn't specifically say.

I make my own for my kids, with flour, olive oil, salt, water - dough programme in the bread machine, roll it out and chuck on toppings. Much safer than bought stuff.
Best way. The lovely Mrs Exile likes to do that, beating the hell out of the kitchen benches in the process. That said, I am partial to the Godfather, by Dominoes. Feel really cool asking for a Godfather, too.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Exile
Best way. The lovely Mrs Exile likes to do that, beating the hell out of the kitchen benches in the process. That said, I am partial to the Godfather, by Dominoes. Feel really cool asking for a Godfather, too.

Mrs Exile sounds most exilent.

It might be fun to stuff cotton wadding in your cheeks when you next order from Dominoes and do a low, throaty voice, Italian accent...

'Bring me the Godfather'...
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I cheat as I don't have a bread maker and I buy a nice loaf of turkish bread from the local turkish bakers and bung on toppings. some of the combinations my kids want to try though are nasty
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
I cheat as I don't have a bread maker and I buy a nice loaf of turkish bread from the local turkish bakers and bung on toppings. some of the combinations my kids want to try though are nasty

That sounds like a nice idea. (Apart from the nasty toppings)
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
Any politician suggesting legalising brothels would be given a pasting by the moral brigade in the UK- how did they manage it in OZ and what are the opinions these days?
Well I'm not an expert on brothels (cough, cough) but I don't think most people care one way or the other. They serve a purpose, are not in residential areas and pay their taxes. I just mentioned it as "progressive" cos I remember a few months ago when The Daily Planet was listed on the Melbourne stock exchange it was reported as a world first.

Re the UK "moral brigade", well there's always going to be a problem when you've got 27 bishops/archbishops sitting in the legislature plus assorted other unelected religious dignitaries.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cam1977
Well I'm not an expert on brothels (cough, cough) but I don't think most people care one way or the other. They serve a purpose, are not in residential areas and pay their taxes. I just mentioned it as "progressive" cos I remember a few months ago when The Daily Planet was listed on the Melbourne stock exchange it was reported as a world first.

Re the UK "moral brigade", well there's always going to be a problem when you've got 27 bishops/archbishops sitting in the legislature plus assorted other unelected religious dignitaries.
Can't agree there. I would say that the more local a decision is required- ie local councils- the less chance something like this will be approved as the loudest voices hold sway and the locally elected politicians are targetted. We had a huge row a few years back in my area over a proposed astronomical clock artwork on the grounds that it was actually astrological and therefore irreligeous. The churches got a posse together and hounded the councillors to refuse to go ahead with it.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:17 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
Can't agree there. I would say that the more local a decision is required- ie local councils- the less chance something like this will be approved as the loudest voices hold sway and the locally elected politicians are targetted. We had a huge row a few years back in my area over a proposed astronomical clock artwork on the grounds that it was actually astrological and therefore irreligeous. The churches got a posse together and hounded the councillors to refuse to go ahead with it.
LMAOOO sorry church posse's must be progressive cause we don't have anything like that round here lol

Gettin the kids away from the tv and flippin playstation would be progressive imo and i'm forever being told what great opportunities there are for the kids cause everything Aussie's love the outdoors?????

Jen
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JenJen

Gettin the kids away from the tv and flippin playstation would be progressive imo and i'm forever being told what great opportunities there are for the kids cause everything Aussie's love the outdoors?????

Jen

Sorry they're still big business over here.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

I think their pretty good at sport.

They are good at holding sporting events also, have you noticed you don't have to pay for public transport when attending sports events.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JenJen
LMAOOO sorry church posse's must be progressive cause we don't have anything like that round here lol

Jen
I got in from walking the dog yestersay and the kids were all watching a DVD. I made them switch it off and demanded they go outside. We don't put the TV on unless the weather is too hot, or too wet to be out.
The too hot can happen, so after school when they're hot and a bit wiped out, I let them watch a bit of ABC kids. After an hour, the weather's cooled, and they get pushed out. No tv at the weekends at all. Too wet is rare.
Kids will be kids wherever they are in the world, so you have to watch them and get them outside.

Yrs,
Nazi mother
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:31 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I got in from walking the dog yestersay and the kids were all watching a DVD. I made them switch it off and demanded they go outside. We don't put the TV on unless the weather is too hot, or too wet to be out.
The too hot can happen, so after school when they're hot and a bit wiped out, I let them watch a bit of ABC kids. After an hour, the weather's cooled, and they get pushed out. No tv at the weekends at all. Too wet is rare.
Kids will be kids wherever they are in the world, so you have to watch them and get them outside.

Yrs,
Nazi mother

Oooh you disciplinarian.....go on spank me.....please!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by busterboy
Oooh you disciplinarian.....go on spank me.....please!

I've never spanked my kids.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:45 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've never spanked my kids.
Well I know that.

I just thought you....discipline.....my avatar!...and it all went from there...!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by busterboy
Well I know that.

I just thought you....discipline.....my avatar!...and it all went from there...!
I have to say, it's very tempting, but I don't want to sound like a perv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.