Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is really "progressive" in Australia?

What is really "progressive" in Australia?

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is really "progressive" in Australia?

Despite the continuing "very nice time" that I'm having in Australia and despite my good job and business, I'm going through one of those "Jesus, Australia is backward" stages and again doubting that I'll last much more than a couple more years. (I think this has arisen from a couple of days of dealing with inept suppliers and continuing worry about the Department for Ed in WA).

So here's your invite - what do you think Australia has which marks it out as being more advanced or progressive than the UK? (you can't mention the weather!!). Give me something positive to focus on!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:03 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is really "progressive" in Australia?

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Despite the continuing "very nice time" that I'm having in Australia and despite my good job and business, I'm going through one of those "Jesus, Australia is backward" stages and again doubting that I'll last much more than a couple more years. (I think this has arisen from a couple of days of dealing with inept suppliers and continuing worry about the Department for Ed in WA).

So here's your invite - what do you think Australia has which marks it out as being more advanced or progressive than the UK? (you can't mention the weather!!). Give me something positive to focus on!

Why does it have to be??
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
Why does it have to be??
It doesn't.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:09 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't.

There ya go....we can close the thread now????

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

......but I'd like it to be!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:23 pm

......but I'd like it to be!

Do you think its a problem with Australia or that you want it to be 'more like' the UK?

Edit: Thats a serious question, not designed to be argumentative or anything
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do you think its a problem with Australia or that you want it to be 'more like' the UK?

Edit: Thats a serious question, not designed to be argumentative or anything
No, I don't want it to be like the UK - I've been out of the UK since 1999 and have no desire to return.

I'm just struggling at the minute to find something which I can say - "Wow, Australia is one of the best places in the world for....."

Perhaps my comparison with the UK was wrong - maybe a better comparison would be with the rest of the developed countries of the world. But I suppose most people on here would have expereience mainly of the UK - hence the theme.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:41 pm

I'm just struggling at the minute to find something which I can say - "Wow, Australia is one of the best places in the world for....."

But the answer to that statement will be different for every single person!! Peoples priorities are different. Peoples previous experiences and lives will make that such a huge variable.

For me, its just home. So it will always be the best place in the world for that fact alone.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The structure of the Commonwealth Government.

Both houses are elected (unlike the UK where the upper house is either appointed or hereditary). All laws must pass through (be acceptable) to both houses (unlike the UK were the lower house can force through a bill unacceptable to the upper house) which provides a more reliable check on the balance of power (unlike the UK where the weakened upper house provides no check, the vacuum of which is filled by the proprietor run newspapers).

All we need to do now would be to get rid of the Queen for an elected (but relatively powerless figurehead) and we'll be laughing.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Dec 3rd 2006 at 10:49 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same way quite often, and when I do I find it helps to focus on the higher percentage of houses with remote-controlled garage doors.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

But the answer to that statement will be different for every single person!! Peoples priorities are different. Peoples previous experiences and lives will make that such a huge variable.

For me, its just home. So it will always be the best place in the world for that fact alone.
I agree. I suppose I was thinking of the lines of:

Singapore's MRT system is the best I've experienced.
Canada is the best place I've lived for doing business
New Zealand has the widest selection of TV channels I've experienced.
I'm a nurse and Adelaide has the best run hospitals I've worked in.

(None of which may be true!)

I suppose that's the type of thing that I was after - positive opinions of Australia based on life experiences.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Exile
I feel the same way quite often, and when I do I find it helps to focus on the higher percentage of houses with remote-controlled garage doors.

(This actually impressed me when I first arrived)
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going through one of those "Jesus, Australia is backward" stages
Both JTL and I have felt that from time to time about working in the public sector in Brisbane. We've both worked in the private sector in Melbourne before and it was nothing like what we have here. I don't know if it the difference between public and private sectors, or between different states/cities, or a combination of things.

One thing we always tell ourselves though is that we wanted a slower pace and Brisbane/Queensland is giving us that. We just have to accept what comes with the lifestyle and the weather.

Mrs JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Dec 3rd 2006 at 10:54 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The structure of the Commonwealth Government.

Both houses are elected (unlike the UK where the upper house is either appointed or hereditary). All laws must pass through (be acceptable) to both houses (unlike the UK were the lower house can force through a bill unacceptable to the upper house) which provides a more reliable check on the balance of power (unlike the UK where the weakened upper house provides no check, the vacuum of which is filled by the proprietor run newspapers).

All we need to do now would be to get rid of the Queen for an elected (but relatively powerless figurehead) and we'll be laughing.

Good post. I'd send Karma but I believe I'm all karma'd out.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Local Council Services.

Unburdened by the load of housing the poor (and sometimes the rich) the local council services are a lot better where I am than where I used to live in the UK. The bin collection is done by 1 man in a truck with a big grabber arm not 3-4 men and a truck. Footpaths appear overnight (almost). Road repairs are done very quickly. Children's playgrounds are well maintained and relatively graffiti free. Council meetings with ratepayers are more frequent.

I accept that the corruption levels seem to be on a par.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.