Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What!?!?! - Queensland Fence and Pool Relaxation Laws

What!?!?! - Queensland Fence and Pool Relaxation Laws

Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:36 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What!?!?! - Queensland Fence and Pool Relaxation Laws

Originally Posted by jad n rich
In general if you need to cut and retain your land to build you cannot cut right up to the boundary line anyway for the reasons you have stated basically, you could collapse part of next doors structure.

If the wall is to be higher than 1m it needs to be designed and certified by an engineer. Retaining walls of this sort are notorious for collapse in the wet season.

On the other matter, would not personally want a pool 1 metre from my boundary. Having experienced several years of aussie outdoor lifestyle which in reality = noisy inconsiderate neighbours in your face at all hours:curse: Plus pool filters can be a nightmare under your windows, lovely in summer when the drone from them is up to eight hours a day.
Our pool is 1m from our boundary and the pool pump is on our bedroom wall(had no choice where it went) doesnt bother us in the slightest
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
From memory, a developer/salesperson can say that there are covenants on a site (and imply that they are binding). However for covenants to be enforcable requires registration of the covenant under the Land Act. As this costs the developer time and money, most developers dont do it and rely on the buyer complying.

WW
At NLakes the way they make you comply with the 'covenants' is to take a $2000 deposit off of you when you buy the lot! Once your house is built they send someone around to check the house, roof, garden etc comply with the agreed covenants, if they do you get your $2000 back, if not you need to change them or forfeit it!

This is because lots of people know that covenants are usually not worth the paper they are written on, however when they have 2 grand of your money it is a different matter!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:34 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i'm so glad that when i finally decide to buy a house it will be in an established area with character, where i don't have to worry about all these legoland problems (and lack of character either!!)
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:40 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brisnick
i'm so glad that when i finally decide to buy a house it will be in an established area with character, where i don't have to worry about all these legoland problems (and lack of character either!!)
our land is in an established area, but still has covenants on it....
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
Our house is 80 years old and in an extablished area. People still need to replace fences and want to build pools and retaining walls regardless of where the area is.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Chances are that if they're building a pool you'll get the smooth side of the fence your side. Having the rails on the outside of the pool area contravenes the pool safety laws. Timber fillets can be cut & fixed to the rails to prevent uninvited guests climbing in, they cost more money so usually the smooth goes outside.

ey up mr.... hope you well, long time no speak! we bought an investment land/ house pkg in gympie, on jones' hill, you know it? what a lovely place!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:34 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Plus there better insulated (less outside walls and roof).

Best think is you can have the bedroom windows open and not worry about bogans getting in

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
comparable costs for highset v's lowset approx 20% premium..

not quite $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is it?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:04 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
ey up mr.... hope you well, long time no speak! we bought an investment land/ house pkg in gympie, on jones' hill, you know it? what a lovely place!
Hey Debs, I thought you'd stopped posting on here.
Jones Hill is a great little place only 5 mins out of town. We just did some work out there. It's very green looking at the moment, reminds me of Edale for some weird reason
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Hey Debs, I thought you'd stopped posting on here.
Jones Hill is a great little place only 5 mins out of town. We just did some work out there. It's very green looking at the moment, reminds me of Edale for some weird reason
take a peek every now and again too bloody busy cleaning bloody leaves out of the pool to be sat here on the computer..even ebay has taken a tumble in sales from me.

youre absolutely right about the land, reminded me of yorkshire too! bit homesick at the mo after watching 'getaway' a couple of days ago.

let me know when youre both down this way again, maybe a beer at the appalonian eh after the pool clean of course!! Not wanting to stray from the thread!!!