Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What!?!?! - Queensland Fence and Pool Relaxation Laws

What!?!?! - Queensland Fence and Pool Relaxation Laws

Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:39 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What!?!?! - Queensland Fence and Pool Relaxation Laws

This is going to cuase so many social problems in years to come

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
If you enjoy being so close to your neighbours that you can hear there budgies stomach rumbling...then all the best to you!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by themerlin
I never understood why more people don't build 2 story houses.
A highset / two story house on a 600m block can have garden.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

WW
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:37 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

WW
comparable costs for highset v's lowset approx 20% premium..

not quite $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is it?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We had 2 blocks of land in NL and this is what we had to do.
As people have said one of you usually gets a quote and you agree, if happy to pay half of the fence costs.
Our blocks had to have retaining walls at the end of the block i.e the land behind was higher than ours. Because our block had been 'cut' out WE had to pay for the retaining wall.

It does not have to be concrete we had a wooden retainer put in which was about half the cost. You will need to contact NL and find out if your block was cut out i.e the land at the back is higher because your block was made flat.

The man behind also had a pool put in, but not within 1 metre because of the retainer this would cause problems so I would be very careful.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:06 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by youngy73
covenants mean nothing in this country.
they did when we built our house cos I had to go to a lawyer and get them all changed
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:11 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
they did when we built our house cos I had to go to a lawyer and get them all changed
exactly. you were able to change them. as i said they mean nothing.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:36 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

please explain what you mean? when you say they mean nothing?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

From memory, a developer/salesperson can say that there are covenants on a site (and imply that they are binding). However for covenants to be enforcable requires registration of the covenant under the Land Act. As this costs the developer time and money, most developers dont do it and rely on the buyer complying.

WW
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:51 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
please explain what you mean? when you say they mean nothing?
they're not worth the paper they're written on and its often the developer who puts the covenants on a sub division and once the blocks are all sold and the developers no longer around they simply do not enforce them.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:55 am
Banned

Not sure... having not broken a covenant.

For example, guy up road from me, is selling 6 parcels of land, behind his own mansion... and those who know this area, probably know who he is... he has biggest house overlooking Morteon... nr Samford.. easily worth over 5 mill...

anyway... we looked at a block for sale, was nice actually, but FARK.. his covenants were 4 pages long, and legally binding.. he had copies stamped by such n such etc.. and was adamant that it was to protect his surrounds, which i admire...

But I agree, on last lot developments, whereby the sales office didnt exist or has buggered orf! then yer how can they enforce the covenant, unless Dibby Dobber dobs ya in !!!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

KangaRay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tinaj
We had 2 blocks of land in NL and this is what we had to do.
As people have said one of you usually gets a quote and you agree, if happy to pay half of the fence costs.
Our blocks had to have retaining walls at the end of the block i.e the land behind was higher than ours. Because our block had been 'cut' out WE had to pay for the retaining wall.

It does not have to be concrete we had a wooden retainer put in which was about half the cost. You will need to contact NL and find out if your block was cut out i.e the land at the back is higher because your block was made flat.

The man behind also had a pool put in, but not within 1 metre because of the retainer this would cause problems so I would be very careful.

It's a natural incline. The land behind us is higher so yes we will have to pay for the retaining wall. With regards to the pool, I think this is too close as they have built a low set house they have used all their plot. A smaller pool may not be worth having!

I will stay up late tonight to catch the council Monday morning and talk with them. Once I have as much info to hand I can call my neighbour. I'm sure they are very nice but best to have sought advice before agreeing to anything.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:29 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KangaRay
It's a natural incline. The land behind us is higher so yes we will have to pay for the retaining wall. With regards to the pool, I think this is too close as they have built a low set house they have used all their plot. A smaller pool may not be worth having!

I will stay up late tonight to catch the council Monday morning and talk with them. Once I have as much info to hand I can call my neighbour. I'm sure they are very nice but best to have sought advice before agreeing to anything.

The minimum distance between boundary fence and pool is 1 metre, just asked my pool man lol
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:37 am
Banned

if the land behind you is higher, surely the developer or owner of that land must pay to have THEIR land retained.. i mean thats the idea of it isnt it?

Secondly... they are putting a pool in fill?? which means piers etc.. so if they are constructing an inground pool.. surely they need to retain the earth surrounding their pool... why do you have to pay?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:56 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i am sorry if ive got the wrong end of the stick here...

surely common sence should prevail here..

your neighbour isnt going to want all the hassle of having to taking all the fence down because it is collapsing into their pool,today ,tommorow or some time in the future.not to mention someome could get killed...

if you knew you had to do a boundry wall,you pay for that and let them pay for the fecne...or just pay for the wall and the 600 bucks,just for peace of mind...i would..

it must be a major worry to you..hope you get it sorted...
ast
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

:
·:

· The neighbour to their side has gone ahead and built a fence without asking for any money from us, which may be a problem when we construct the retaining wall, as their fence footing will be exposed. Fun when we get out there I suppose!

In general if you need to cut and retain your land to build you cannot cut right up to the boundary line anyway for the reasons you have stated basically, you could collapse part of next doors structure.

If the wall is to be higher than 1m it needs to be designed and certified by an engineer. Retaining walls of this sort are notorious for collapse in the wet season.

On the other matter, would not personally want a pool 1 metre from my boundary. Having experienced several years of aussie outdoor lifestyle which in reality = noisy inconsiderate neighbours in your face at all hours:curse: Plus pool filters can be a nightmare under your windows, lovely in summer when the drone from them is up to eight hours a day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.