Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What primary school in Melbourne (EAST = Doncaster, Bulleen, Templestowe...)?

What primary school in Melbourne (EAST = Doncaster, Bulleen, Templestowe...)?

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:21 am
Just Joined

cwoern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What primary school in Melbourne (EAST = Doncaster, Bulleen, Templestowe...)?

Hello,

Couldn't find any real answer regarding that subject.

Is it worth it to choose a catholic primary school (often considered better than public schools) in the eastern part of Melbourne (Doncaster + 5km)?

I went to visit one catholic school in Manningham Road and liked it a lot (Principal, facilities...).
Although we are not catholic I like the idea of a religious education teaching things like respect, values, discipline...
At the same time my wife visited Templestowe Heights primary school and got a good impression as well.

Some people told me it is definitely worth it to send kids to private or catholic schools while others recommend different.

I am in doubts to spend about 2000$/year for a non public school when I can send my children in/around Doncaster to a (good?) public school (and better saving that money for a good secondary school plus university) which may offer a similar level of education.

Could anybody give us some hints, (general) opinions, experience for/against catholic or private schools vs public primary (or later secondary) schools (in our region)?

Best regards,

Christian
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What primary school in Melbourne (EAST = Doncaster, Bulleen, Templestowe...)?

Originally Posted by cwoern
Hello,

Couldn't find any real answer regarding that subject.

Is it worth it to choose a catholic primary school (often considered better than public schools) in the eastern part of Melbourne (Doncaster + 5km)?

I went to visit one catholic school in Manningham Road and liked it a lot (Principal, facilities...).
Although we are not catholic I like the idea of a religious education teaching things like respect, values, discipline...
At the same time my wife visited Templestowe Heights primary school and got a good impression as well.

Some people told me it is definitely worth it to send kids to private or catholic schools while others recommend different.

I am in doubts to spend about 2000$/year for a non public school when I can send my children in/around Doncaster to a (good?) public school (and better saving that money for a good secondary school plus university) which may offer a similar level of education.

Could anybody give us some hints, (general) opinions, experience for/against catholic or private schools vs public primary (or later secondary) schools (in our region)?

Best regards,

Christian
First of all going Private at primary school isn't such a big consideration as at secondary school level.

Secondly most schools in that part of Melbourne will be pretty good. That said I don't know much about the State secondary schools. Get lots of opinions from the locals!

Where are you considering for secondary? This may come into play. I think most girls in Catholic would move onto Our Ladies at Heidelberg and boys onto Marcellin College. Going to the feeder primaries may give you "brownie points" but not necessarily guarantee you a place. Do you have their names down for secondary schools - if not you should do so asap if you wish to go private.

Many Catholic parents send their children thru the State primary because of the fees in the Catholic primary schools in this part of Melb (we have to subsidise the poorer schools) - I unfortunately found this out too late! If I had my time over again my sons would have gone to the State school next door and saved myself $3000pa.

HTH - if there is anything else that you want to know, don't hesitate to ask.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: What primary school in Melbourne (EAST = Doncaster, Bulleen, Templestowe...)?

Originally Posted by OzSheila
First of all going Private at primary school isn't such a big consideration as at secondary school level.

Secondly most schools in that part of Melbourne will be pretty good. That said I don't know much about the State secondary schools. Get lots of opinions from the locals!

Where are you considering for secondary? This may come into play. I think most girls in Catholic would move onto Our Ladies at Heidelberg and boys onto Marcellin College. Going to the feeder primaries may give you "brownie points" but not necessarily guarantee you a place. Do you have their names down for secondary schools - if not you should do so asap if you wish to go private.

Many Catholic parents send their children thru the State primary because of the fees in the Catholic primary schools in this part of Melb (we have to subsidise the poorer schools) - I unfortunately found this out too late! If I had my time over again my sons would have gone to the State school next door and saved myself $3000pa.

HTH - if there is anything else that you want to know, don't hesitate to ask.
That´s a similar opinion I heard already. Thanks for those advices. In fact we are planning to move from Doncaster (not sure yet where exactly, but preferable still in the eastern part), so we would then try to keep the children in that school where they startet if the distance is not that far.
Or would a good public primary school force us to change the school in case we move?

Could you recommend in particular any good public school around?

When do you think it´s time to apply for the secondary catholic school? Right after they started primary, which means about 4 years in advance?

Thank you,

Christian
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Or would a good public primary school force us to change the school in case we move?
I don't think so - I have heard of a few families who move within a couple of suburbs and yet keep their children at the same school. In fact we couldn't even get into our local Catholic primary so have to travel 2 suburbs away.

Could you recommend in particular any good public school around?
No I am afraid I do not know the area that well - ask locals, estate agents, etc. I am also a firm believer in "gut instinct" - if the school "feels" alright on a visit it probably will be.

When do you think it´s time to apply for the secondary catholic school? Right after they started primary, which means about 4 years in advance?
Best policy here is check with the school themselves. Some schools require you to register at birth (yes!); others sometime during the child's primary years. I have heard that even the very best schools (eg Xavier, Genazzano) are offering places at the moment with their bad debts running at 40% These schools have previously had long waiting lists.

HTH
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OzSheila
I don't think so - I have heard of a few families who move within a couple of suburbs and yet keep their children at the same school. In fact we couldn't even get into our local Catholic primary so have to travel 2 suburbs away.

No I am afraid I do not know the area that well - ask locals, estate agents, etc. I am also a firm believer in "gut instinct" - if the school "feels" alright on a visit it probably will be.

Best policy here is check with the school themselves. Some schools require you to register at birth (yes!); others sometime during the child's primary years. I have heard that even the very best schools (eg Xavier, Genazzano) are offering places at the moment with their bad debts running at 40% These schools have previously had long waiting lists.

HTH

Thanks again for your comments. Do you have any information if it helps being in a catholic primary school to enter a catholic secondary school?

Considering that we are their last option (not catholic, not in their local church community, not having yet any brother or sister of our oldest child in their school) makes me a bit nervous.
With some public exeptions (where it may be hard to enter when you are not alocal resident) and expensive private schools I don't see any real alternative to the catholic secondary schools.

Christian
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I was just having a conversation with my neighbour yesterday as we have a Catholic Primary School about 5 mins walk from where I live and she had a look for her young daughter. They are catholic. Anyway she decided against sending her there she was not that impressed with it. So she will look at the State system.

As far as getting into Catholic High School goes for non catholics or catholics who do not live in the parish it goes all Catholic children from Parish are given priority, then other Catholic children and then others if there are places still available. This is fair enough. I know this because even though I had my childrens names down to go to another private school my son decided he would like to go to the Catholic High School and I had an interview there. We waited and only heard a week before term 1 that he had a place but it was too late for us as we had accepted at the original school.

I had my childrens names down for about four years for the school they went to.

Scotch and such schools its at birth. Just like being a member of the Melbourne Cricket Club names go down at birth.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Michwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really nice

Thanks again for your comments. Do you have any information if it helps being in a catholic primary school to enter a catholic secondary school?

Considering that we are their last option (not catholic, not in their local church community, not having yet any brother or sister of our oldest child in their school) makes me a bit nervous.
With some public exeptions (where it may be hard to enter when you are not alocal resident) and expensive private schools I don't see any real alternative to the catholic secondary schools.

Christian
Possibly a bit late now but I have heard Donvale Christian college is good and takes them from Prep to Senior.
We moved to Templestowe from Uk almost 2 yrs ago and my girls started at Serpell we then decided to move them to Templestowe Park because Serpell is just so huge...we are fast regretting this decision as we don't think TP is very strong academically. Serpell is fab and is now recognised as an International school.
I want to investigate Donvale Christian college myself as an option.
XXX
Michelle