Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Pollster's been up to (subtitled: Anyone want a flat in Harrow?)

What Pollster's been up to (subtitled: Anyone want a flat in Harrow?)

Old Aug 14th 2004, 10:02 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough
Default What Pollster's been up to (subtitled: Anyone want a flat in Harrow?)

Long time no post so I thought I had better make this one a whopper and let you know what we have been up to in lovely NZ.

We are just coming up to the 6 month mark of our arrival in New Plymouth and I can honestly say we feel like we have been here for ages (in a good way!).

Taranaki is truly a beautiful place and we love being able to see the mountain from the most unlikely of scenic lookouts (like the supermarket car park) and taking long walks on the beach. The town has pretty much everything you need (except a concert venue attracting the big bands!) and the people here are great – very friendly and chatty.

We now have a small circle of friends we see socially on a regular basis – a mix of Brits and Kiwis with the odd Canadian thrown in which is nice – and we are making new friends all the time as we get involved with various things.

Hubby's work is still going well – he is enjoying the challenges it is throwing up. It calls for long hours sometimes but he still gets home a lot earlier than he would have done in London most days.

His golf still takes top priority during his leisure time – he is some of the most beautiful (and empty!) golf courses you would find anywhere in the world. He is also playing competitions as a member of one of the local golf clubs (subs cheap as chips - we couldn't afford for him to be a member of a club in the UK) – he hasn’t won anything worth having yet but I live in hope. He also goes to the gym regularly and took up indoor cricket for a couple of weeks until the season ended (the bruises from that particular pastime were quite impressive).

I have been a very busy bee indeed of late – my feet have hardly touched the ground, but as that is how I like it, I am a happy busy bee.

I have been working at the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery in town – a big name in the contempory art world – as an information officer helping the public to understand the sometimes puzzling (and very weird) art installations and putting my artistic skills to work in the shop displays. However, my time there has ended as I have landed my dream job at the local zoo!

I am very happy about it as I get to have fun while looking after the animals for 20 hours a week, which gives me plenty of time to do all the other things I enjoy doing as well. The zoo has monkeys, otters and a variety of exotic birds as well as a farmyard area with a miniature horse, goats, wallabies, pigs, rabbits, guinea pigs and numerous chickens, ducks, peacocks and other fowl. It is great fun and the other girls who work there are a good bunch of people so we spend most of the time laughing which is a wonderful way of earning money.

When I am not working, I am having the odd golf lesson with a couple of other women – we are all rubbish and our teacher despairs but we swear happily at each other – and I am a lady who lunches at least once a week.

Bracken the dog's search and rescue training also takes up a few hours each week – she is going very well indeed and I am looking forward to showing how far we have come at the next SAR dog training weekend in November as last time we were raw beginners.

I also recently took part in a search and rescue exercise – the lost ‘victims’ weren’t found but it was great fun and a chance to meet up with some more people.

I intend to start yoga classes next week – something I have intended to do for ages but never got round to – now there is no excuse as I have a friend to go with. Swimming has been suspended for the winter months – although it never gets really cold here it is still a lot more chilly than I like it to be before I strip down to my swimming togs. Spring is very much on the way with the past week noticeably warmer so I may take it up again. Horse riding is still a regular pastime. Any gaps in the diary are filled with walking the hound either on the beach or out on one of the many bush tracks round here spotting Tuis and playing dodge with the fantails.

We are planning a ski trip with my sister and her family for a couple of days next week and are also thinking about taking a holiday at some point – Hubby predictably wants to go on a tour of golf courses in Australia well as I fancy some jungle trekking in Borneo or being a beach babe in Thailand – no doubt we will come to some mutual arrangement - NZ isn't all that far away from the rest of the world really.

All in all, life is still very good – so much so we have decided to sell our flat in London and bring the profit over here so we can buy a nice house and start putting down some roots. Hubby wants to buy one on the edge of a golf course well as I am after a place with a few paddocks so I can start a menagerie of my own – mind you out here I bet there is something that will please us both somewhere.

So, if anyone wants a nice investment property we have some lovely tenants who are absolutely no problem at all, a lady who manages it all for you and in an up and coming location (according to the estate agent)!! Just let us know and I am sure we can come to some arrangement about the price!

To all those that are thinking shall we, shan't we - just do it as Nike instructs us - we are happier here than we ever were in the UK and things can only get better the longer we stay, the more friends we make and the more Kiwi-sed we get.

Nice to see some regular posters are still posting (gudday Bundy and Bix!) and will endeavour to do the same but I am just toooooooo busy!!
Old Aug 14th 2004, 10:08 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Pollster's been up to (subtitled: Anyone want a flat in Harrow?)

Originally Posted by Pollster
However, my time there has ended as I have landed my dream job at the local zoo!

I am very happy about it as I get to have fun while looking after the animals for 20 hours a week, which gives me plenty of time to do all the other things I enjoy doing as well. The zoo has monkeys, otters and a variety of exotic birds as well as a farmyard area with a miniature horse, goats, wallabies, pigs, rabbits, guinea pigs and numerous chickens, ducks, peacocks and other fowl. It is great fun and the other girls who work there are a good bunch of people so we spend most of the time laughing which is a wonderful way of earning money.
OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!! How cool!!!!

And how good to finally hear from you, and how cool that you're having such a good time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't believe it's already been 6 months!!!
(though, can't believe it's already 1 month for us either!!!!)

Hope you find some time to keep posting from time to time.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Pollster's been up to (subtitled: Anyone want a flat in Harrow?)

Hi Polly - god, I cant believe it's 6 months! We'll have had our house there for a year next week - it makes me feel old that time's going so quickly!

Congrats on the job - you get all the fun without the business hassles now!

Talk about living life to the full - good on ya. I've got to pass my driving test - with the way the EOI is at the mo that's the only thing stopping us coming over there at the mo. We're busy trying to save up all the money we spent on furniture again and have decided to give up on the idea of finding a suitable business 'til we get there, to be honest, I'd be happy to go back to waitressing if we could be there now! Well, we'll get there eventually.

Keep it up - glad your really happy and good luck with the flat sale

Eileen
Old Aug 14th 2004, 5:22 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooooh........a shivers just gone down me spine.

You know, the feeling you get having just seen one of them peskey little mice....cor, they don't half frighten me

.......but no, tis not a mice causing the tingling......tis the return of the Pollsteraticus Catlinus. Do you remember that Poll ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206443

Really great to hear from you and delighted you are both loving it so much..........oh, and the dog of course.

For those who don't know Poll, well to be frank she was a gobby git......but a very lovely one of course

In fact her and Bundy get through more keyboards than most of us eat hot dinners

Welcome back and hope you can stay a while or two. You know how much I value your opinions
Old Aug 14th 2004, 8:42 pm
Kiwified member

Originally Posted by Bix
Ooooooh........a shivers just gone down me spine.

You know, the feeling you get having just seen one of them peskey little mice....cor, they don't half frighten me

.......but no, tis not a mice causing the tingling......tis the return of the Pollsteraticus Catlinus. Do you remember that Poll ?

God, the Pollsteraticus Catlinus! That thread takes me back to a time of more frivolity and irrelevance - a time when I knew every poster on here!

Now it is people I don't know posting relevant and interesting questions and facts - tsk this site has really gone downhill

Nice to see you are keeping Bundy on her toes, Bix, and that your lion hasn't succumbed to seborric mange (sp!) quite yet.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:17 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we have lots of lovely new people.
Some of em are very ejucated ya knaw - but no worries - it isn't rubbing off

Bundy was a bit of a madam when I first came on here but with the help of Loose and G we have removed the poshness. Just got to continue moulding her into a woman who can look after the housework

BTW it's Seborrheic - at least that's what the vet told me.

So hope we can look forward to some regular updates from you now
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:09 am
Kiwified member

Originally Posted by Bix
Yes, we have lots of lovely new people.
Some of em are very ejucated ya knaw - but no worries - it isn't rubbing off

Bundy was a bit of a madam when I first came on here but with the help of Loose and G we have removed the poshness. Just got to continue moulding her into a woman who can look after the housework

BTW it's Seborrheic - at least that's what the vet told me.

So hope we can look forward to some regular updates from you now
Think you have got your work cut out making Bundy into a Stepford wife but no doubt she will have fun watching you try!

Hope the vet gave you some ointment so your mane can get back to its usual splendiferous state.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:42 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Wotcha Pollster! Nearly missed your post (busy elsewhere ). Simone showed me the way though.

What can I say - sounds like things have taken off for you two. Has it really been 6 months? I guess it has - you went when my mum was sick, I remember now.

Anyway, ta for the update, good to see you back and make sure you stay back now!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 6:48 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Pollster in NP I sent you some mail a few weeks ago about us in Poole Dorset . We put our E.o.i in on the 4th July and were selected on the 21st July and we have had the confirmation letter to say they will do the varification and let us know in 6 weeks time if they want us to apply for res visas, so if all goes well we could be in NP early next year.I am glad to see NP is a great place to live and you and yours are very happy, and having just visited LOndon i do think you have made the right choise as i thought London was a rat race.

Hope to hear from you Nigel.Karla & Martha
Originally Posted by Pollster
Long time no post so I thought I had better make this one a whopper and let you know what we have been up to in lovely NZ.

We are just coming up to the 6 month mark of our arrival in New Plymouth and I can honestly say we feel like we have been here for ages (in a good way!).

Taranaki is truly a beautiful place and we love being able to see the mountain from the most unlikely of scenic lookouts (like the supermarket car park) and taking long walks on the beach. The town has pretty much everything you need (except a concert venue attracting the big bands!) and the people here are great – very friendly and chatty.

We now have a small circle of friends we see socially on a regular basis – a mix of Brits and Kiwis with the odd Canadian thrown in which is nice – and we are making new friends all the time as we get involved with various things.

Hubby's work is still going well – he is enjoying the challenges it is throwing up. It calls for long hours sometimes but he still gets home a lot earlier than he would have done in London most days.

His golf still takes top priority during his leisure time – he is some of the most beautiful (and empty!) golf courses you would find anywhere in the world. He is also playing competitions as a member of one of the local golf clubs (subs cheap as chips - we couldn't afford for him to be a member of a club in the UK) – he hasn’t won anything worth having yet but I live in hope. He also goes to the gym regularly and took up indoor cricket for a couple of weeks until the season ended (the bruises from that particular pastime were quite impressive).

I have been a very busy bee indeed of late – my feet have hardly touched the ground, but as that is how I like it, I am a happy busy bee.

I have been working at the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery in town – a big name in the contempory art world – as an information officer helping the public to understand the sometimes puzzling (and very weird) art installations and putting my artistic skills to work in the shop displays. However, my time there has ended as I have landed my dream job at the local zoo!

When I am not working, I am having the odd golf lesson with a couple of other women – we are all rubbish and our teacher despairs but we swear happily at each other – and I am a lady who lunches at least once a week.

Bracken the dog's search and rescue training also takes up a few hours each week – she is going very well indeed and I am looking forward to showing how far we have come at the next SAR dog training weekend in November as last time we were raw beginners.

I also recently took part in a search and rescue exercise – the lost ‘victims’ weren’t found but it was great fun and a chance to meet up with some more people.

I intend to start yoga classes next week – something I have intended to do for ages but never got round to – now there is no excuse as I have a friend to go with. Swimming has been suspended for the winter months – although it never gets really cold here it is still a lot more chilly than I like it to be before I strip down to my swimming togs. Spring is very much on the way with the past week noticeably warmer so I may take it up again. Horse riding is still a regular pastime. Any gaps in the diary are filled with walking the hound either on the beach or out on one of the many bush tracks round here spotting Tuis and playing dodge with the fantails.

We are planning a ski trip with my sister and her family for a couple of days next week and are also thinking about taking a holiday at some point – Hubby predictably wants to go on a tour of golf courses in Australia well as I fancy some jungle trekking in Borneo or being a beach babe in Thailand – no doubt we will come to some mutual arrangement - NZ isn't all that far away from the rest of the world really.

All in all, life is still very good – so much so we have decided to sell our flat in London and bring the profit over here so we can buy a nice house and start putting down some roots. Hubby wants to buy one on the edge of a golf course well as I am after a place with a few paddocks so I can start a menagerie of my own – mind you out here I bet there is something that will please us both somewhere.

So, if anyone wants a nice investment property we have some lovely tenants who are absolutely no problem at all, a lady who manages it all for you and in an up and coming location (according to the estate agent)!! Just let us know and I am sure we can come to some arrangement about the price!

To all those that are thinking shall we, shan't we - just do it as Nike instructs us - we are happier here than we ever were in the UK and things can only get better the longer we stay, the more friends we make and the more Kiwi-sed we get.

Nice to see some regular posters are still posting (gudday Bundy and Bix!) and will endeavour to do the same but I am just toooooooo busy!!