Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Plants And Trees You Now Have?

What Plants And Trees You Now Have?

Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:18 pm
Lee N Liz

raiz has a spectacular aura aboutraiz has a spectacular aura aboutraiz has a spectacular aura about
Default What Plants And Trees You Now Have?

Hi all and Merry christmas

Just wanted to know what delights people from the uk are now growing in oz?

Im looking forward to being able to grow some fruits and exotic looking plants.

would be great see some pics if poss....

Regards
Raiz
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Plants And Trees You Now Have?

Originally Posted by raiz

Regards
Raiz
No pics but we have just planted a mango tree and a grape vine. We've also sown seeds for pumpkins (already shooting after 1 week), chillies and peaches.

It seems you put the seed in the ground, a little water and hey presto - Queensland is great for growing stuff :-))
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:56 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Raiz
My mate up the road is growing some very interesting plants... Don't think he'd like me taking any piccies though...
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
No pics but we have just planted a mango tree and a grape vine. We've also sown seeds for pumpkins (already shooting after 1 week), chillies and peaches.

It seems you put the seed in the ground, a little water and hey presto - Queensland is great for growing stuff :-))

Pumpkins grow really well and very fast - you'll need a recipe for pumpkins scones!
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Raiz
Not growing but palm trees everywhere in Qld. Is this the same for all Aus or just tropics? Imagine being pissed off with palm trees. Folks back home think I'm winding them up but they shed skin and are murder to get rid off if you don't have a trailer. Never thought I could hate palm trees coz they look great but messy buggers
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:01 am
Banned

Rug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud of

Regards
Raiz
I actually grew exotic/tropical plants in the UK (yes many palms, bananas and cacti can be grown outdoors check out this gallery for proof http://www.pbase.com/theukoasis/members_gardens ) and have continued the trend here in WA, although i would say its more of a challenge with the low rainfall, strong sun and generally poor soils (in Perth anyway).

Im a big advocate of cacti and succulents, and would always recommend people to try creating a cactus garden which is very low maintenance and watering.

Last edited by Rug13y; Dec 10th 2006 at 4:06 am.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rug13y
I actually grew exotic/tropical plants in the UK (yes many palms, bananas and cacti can be grown outdoors check out this gallery for proof http://www.pbase.com/theukoasis/members_gardens ) and have continued the trend here in WA, although i would say its more of a challenge with the low rainfall, strong sun and generally poor soils (in Perth anyway).

Im a big advocate of cacti and succulents, and would always recommend people to try creating a cactus garden which is very low maintenance and watering.

Gorgeous garden!
Old Dec 10th 2006, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by framac
Not growing but palm trees everywhere in Qld. Is this the same for all Aus or just tropics? Imagine being pissed off with palm trees. Folks back home think I'm winding them up but they shed skin and are murder to get rid off if you don't have a trailer. Never thought I could hate palm trees coz they look great but messy buggers
I have a lot of trees in my garden. Among them this morning were a small cherry tree under a Cocos/Queen palm. I was up a ladder with a pruning saw this morning cutting the nuts off the palm (no jokes about nuts and palms please, hairy or otherwise). Now I don't have a cherry tree : (

Old Dec 10th 2006, 9:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We were told by the BASIX computer that we had to plant only natives in order to get planning permission. So we started off planting about 1/16 of the garden with natives just to see how they went. The hares love them.................
Old Dec 10th 2006, 9:09 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Aaround here, we've got tons of jacaranda trees just coming to their end, beautiful lilac flowers. The frangipanis are also about to come out too - they not only look beautiful, but smell divine too! I soooo love frangipanis.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 11:52 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lel_smiff
The frangipanis are also about to come out too - they not only look beautiful, but smell divine too! I soooo love frangipanis.
I agree, they are stunning when in flower. Trouble is, they look awful in the winter.

I'm sticking to cordiline and native plants, heck of lot less hassle than european plants that need so much watering. I used to have hanging baskets and tubs filled with annuals, what a nightmare trying to keep them alive and looking anything like
Old Dec 10th 2006, 7:05 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rug13y

Your garden looks very good... did plant some cactus but turned out to be prickily pears so pulled them back out as a pest and some moth that kills them anyway if it can.

Love alovera so have lots of them and do plan to get more cacti... have noticed a nice one trailing over from my neighbours which I'm sure will shoot.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 7:08 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards
Raiz
Had apple and pear trees in UK, here I have planted citrus, several formes of orange and tangerine, pomegranates, jack tree, custard apple and passion fruits. Planted before weather got hot hoping I can keep alive for the long haul.

Have been led to believe passion fruit grow well in UK so think they should do OK here. We also already have trees planted by previous owner loquat, coffee bean; grapefruit think I have a mango but only just fruiting and grapevines but not sure how many grapes we will get.

Bunnings are suprisingly cheap and I got the pomegranetes and passion fruit from little veggie place next to Aussie World.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Had apple and pear trees in UK, here I have planted citrus, several formes of orange and tangerine, pomegranates, jack tree, custard apple and passion fruits. Planted before weather got hot hoping I can keep alive for the long haul.

Have been led to believe passion fruit grow well in UK so think they should do OK here. We also already have trees planted by previous owner loquat, coffee bean; grapefruit think I have a mango but only just fruiting and grapevines but not sure how many grapes we will get.

Bunnings are suprisingly cheap and I got the pomegranetes and passion fruit from little veggie place next to Aussie World.
Wow, that sounds great. I love growing my own food here, and I'm really looking fowards to seeing all the fruits I will be able to grow in Oz.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's great

You can go to Bunnings or other garden centre and get loads of different types of orange, lemon, pommigranits, grape etc etc

Just having the room to plant them all is the problem!!

You can't get banana plants though :-((

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Wow, that sounds great. I love growing my own food here, and I'm really looking fowards to seeing all the fruits I will be able to grow in Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.