Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What paperwork to take??

What paperwork to take??

Old Oct 1st 2005, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default What paperwork to take??

Hi

Just wondering what paperwork to take with us that we will need when we first arrive for getting a mortgage :scared: and stuff!

Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What paperwork to take??

Originally Posted by tabby
Hi

Just wondering what paperwork to take with us that we will need when we first arrive for getting a mortgage :scared: and stuff!

Thanks
bump to top!

Good question I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to that too....so please someone...help us out!

Cheers

L-j
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:06 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
bump to top!

Good question I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to that too....so please someone...help us out!

Cheers

L-j
all you actually need is proof of your deposit, details of any ongoing credit commitments and details of your employer in OZ. You usually need a job to get a mortgage, and be out of you probationary period of usually 3 months. There are exceptions to this but this is just generalisations....

You will also need your aussie driving licence number (to perform a credit search) plus your UK passport and a copy of your visa sticker....

Other stuff which *may* help is last couple of mortgage statements from uk(to show you pay on time etc) and last 3-6 months credit card and bank statements are helpful for the same reason. These won't be specifically asked for by the lender, but anything you can give them to give them more comfort you are a safe bet will help your case....

Where are you heading? if it's NSW or W.A. then i can help you with name and number of a good mortgage broker..... WE went through the mortgage gallery http://www.themortgagegallery.com.au/content/home/ who were very good. it's a free service, so you could be making initial enquiries from the UK now if you wish.

IF it's another state say on here and others will have numbers/ recommendations...

Hope this helps a bit... We move into our first place next Thursday

JJonboy
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Aside from the obvious passport....

1. UK driving licence.
2. A letter from your car insurer stating your no claims discount (some, not all, insurers over here want to see this).
3. Take bank statements, credit card statements. The occassional person might wish to see evidence of keeping up with regular payments and a bank balance in credit.

As for the last two of those points, I'm insured by AAMI nowadays and they did not ask for the letter from my previous insurer. Furthermore, when I rented I volunteered showing my bank balance to the agent, and thus have never actually been asked to show and bank statement.

As for the mortgage specifically, I cannot help much as I have not gone that far. I would imagine it would be little different to how it is in the UK - show evidence of income that would cover the repayments.

Oh yes, depending upon how honest you are, you may need the documentation to deal with your tax declarations!!!

Neil
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=jjonboy]all you actually need is proof of your deposit, details of any ongoing credit commitments and details of your employer in OZ. You usually need a job to get a mortgage, and be out of you probationary period of usually 3 months. There are exceptions to this but this is just generalisations....

Hi jjonbboy! I wont ask the Peter Kay question "what time is it there?" i won't!

Anyway thanks for info. congrats on your new home. Whereabouts on the North Shore are you?

Hubby got job in Brookvale, but we are looking to live near Kurnell. I keep reading worrying things about high house prices around Sydney. How are you findin it?

Thanks

L-j
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 7:38 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabby
Hi

Thanks
Bring everything! There's a loose order to doing things out here so one thing needs another etc. all can need different stuff and if any one of your docs are a bit unusual like my virgin islands marrage certificate you might need more than you initially think. Get your bank accounts first, for this you need passport with visa less than 6 months old, Aussie postal address. Then get your medicare card as this can now be used as proof for other things like your RTA number and rego's etc.

I'd definately bring....Originals of:-
Birth Certificate,
Marriage Cert.
UK Driving licence both parts and make sure its a photo one.
Bank statments and proof of income for the last 6 months at least.
A couple of recent utility bills.
UK credit card and statement.
Proof of the dogs knackers missing (if bringing male knackerless dog)
UK tax statement so you can claim your refund.

And any other doc you think might come in handy. You can't have enough bits of paper out here.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:16 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=ELLJAY]
Originally Posted by jjonboy
all you actually need is proof of your deposit, details of any ongoing credit commitments and details of your employer in OZ. You usually need a job to get a mortgage, and be out of you probationary period of usually 3 months. There are exceptions to this but this is just generalisations....

Hi jjonbboy! I wont ask the Peter Kay question "what time is it there?" i won't!

Anyway thanks for info. congrats on your new home. Whereabouts on the North Shore are you?

Hubby got job in Brookvale, but we are looking to live near Kurnell. I keep reading worrying things about high house prices around Sydney. How are you findin it?

Thanks

L-j
Hi

I digress but i watched a peter kay dvd with some guys from work the other day ( my office is 50% pommie, 50% aussie/ rest of the world) and the northern brits were in stitches, the southerners laughed occasionally and the aussies thoght we were disturbed!!.... different humour i spose...

Brookvale is a fair drive from kurnell at peak hour... be well over an hour each way.. probably up to 90 minutes on a bad traffic day....
Have you got relatives there or something? Don't get me wrong it's a nice spot but not the obvious choice when working on the north shore/ northern beaches

For prices look at www.realestate.com.au We have bought in Cherrybrook, (look at one of my earlier posts, it includes a pic)for $538,000. For Brookvale i'd maybe look at French;s Forest, Belrose, Narrabeen, Curl Curl, Warriewood those sort of areas. The nearer the ocean the more expensive the house. But you will need over 500k for a house probably nearer 600 much more nearer the ocean, bit less for a terrace/ townhouse and around 3-400 for an apartment....

Brookvale itself is only five minutes from Manly (big beachside suburb) and has excellent shopping at Warringah mall....

Feel free to ask more questions, we have been here 2.5 years now and i travel sydney, well australia wide for work so have a fair oerview of most suburbs now

Cheers

Jjonboy
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

Hi jjonboy,
Thanks for that! I'll get me map out. went on our reccie and stayed with friends in Kurnell, hence choosing near to there as feel we need to be near someone we know. It's such a huge responsibility choosin an area as we dont want to keep choppin and changin. Also with 3 kids in tow - i need them to be settled.

Got job in Brookvale as a friend who was jobhunting for us lives in Collaroy. I really dont know if we're doing the right thing living in Kurnell - altho hubby will be drivin to work before rush hour to start at 7am and leave at 3.30. Hopefully - this will shave some off the time. We will defo rent to start with so we ont commit ourselves house wise,

Again thanks for replyin, L-j