Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What paperwork do i need when i land in Aus?

What paperwork do i need when i land in Aus?

Old May 21st 2008, 1:41 pm
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What paperwork do i need when i land in Aus?

We are currently packing our stuff up and dont want to pack something i will need, does anyone have a list of the paperwork i will need? as will have to wait up to 2 months before our main stuff arrives.

Ive been told dont bother with credit references.

So my list as it stands is :-

1) passport
2) approval to import my car
3) some print out about my new aus bank account once ive opened it
4) a few copies of my CV but mostly this will be done online

Anything else? ie stuff for tax reasons or work?

Cheers
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What paperwork do i need when i land in Aus?

Originally Posted by sssstew
We are currently packing our stuff up and dont want to pack something i will need, does anyone have a list of the paperwork i will need? as will have to wait up to 2 months before our main stuff arrives.

1) passport

Cheers

All of your personal documentation, eg birth certificates, driving licences, etc should travel with you, as hand luggage (look after it carefully and maybe put backup copies in your shipment).

Unless you are going to be travelling a lot en-route (stopovers etc) in which case you might want to think about using a reliable courier instead.
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:20 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

1) passport

Cheers
If you say CV here btw people will think its some sort of new STD. Its a resume. Your tax file number you can get straight away when here but you'll need to give that to your bank too as well as any employer.
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:54 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
If you say CV here btw people will think its some sort of new STD. Its a resume. Your tax file number you can get straight away when here but you'll need to give that to your bank too as well as any employer.
In Melbourne CV is more common than Resume.

Buzzy
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:16 pm
MODL Pommie

Originally Posted by JAJ
All of your personal documentation, eg birth certificates, driving licences, etc should travel with you, as hand luggage (look after it carefully and maybe put backup copies in your shipment).

Unless you are going to be travelling a lot en-route (stopovers etc) in which case you might want to think about using a reliable courier instead.
nice one thanks for the pointers
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:31 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In Melbourne CV is more common than Resume.

Buzzy
.... but then Melbournites are abit different though!

Talk to the layman in the street, and some would think your talking about a part of a car.
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

jopaul will become famous soon enoughjopaul will become famous soon enough

1) passport

Cheers
Hi there
i took in my hand luggage all original birth,marriage certificate and passports. also mortgage statements for the past 3 years, house and car insurance docs showing no claims and bank statements for past 2. also Cv and references. details of any life and pension policies we still had running, in case of emergency and i know i'm morbid a copy of my will, and a list of emergancy contact numbers. yes i am a virgo!!!

when we applied to rent the houses we showed past mortgage statements and a copy of the sales details of our old house, references from past employers and a statement from westpac to show we have enough cash for the rent.
if you are self employed my OH was we just left his acccountant to complete his books and has got an accountant here to help with this years tax return. (tax years ends 30th Jun and starts 1st July here).

in my OH hand luggage he had copies of our main certificate and copies of passports.

in our container we just put original pension,life insurance and gas and elec bills.

hope that helps
Jo xx
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:36 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

1) passport

Cheers
A current visa would be helpful to the people at the Immigration desk.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:10 pm
MODL Pommie

excellant thanks all