British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What to pack for august..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-pack-august-675061/)

perthhopeful Jul 3rd 2010 8:34 pm

What to pack for august.....

Hi all,

We are hopefully heading to Brisbane/ gold coast in August :D

Thing is I am not sure what to pack in our suitcases? Will we need t shirts or jumpers? Will we even need swimming cossies?

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers
Xxx

carolinephillips Jul 3rd 2010 10:01 pm

Re: What to pack for august.....

Yes.
If that sounds unhelpful, it isn't meant to be. You will need T-shirts for daytime but warmer stuff for night, and if you are of a slightly hardy nature you might dip your toes in the sea. Pack for a variety of weathers.
Have a good time.

GillyG Jul 4th 2010 9:49 am

Yes bring a mix of clothing. At the moment some days are warm enough for shorts and T.shirts but it gets very chilly in the evenings. This week's high has been around 21 degrees but has gone down to 8 degrees at night. Have fun!

moneypenny20 Jul 4th 2010 10:57 am

If you're coming from the UK, you will be one of those people the rest of us watch swimming whilst wearing jeans and jumpers :lol: You'll think it lovely but a bit chilly in the evening. However if the weather in the UK is still as it is at the moment, you may find it colder than you expect.

Lots of layers would be good.

perthhopeful Jul 4th 2010 11:28 am

Thanks guys, a mixture it is

Oh and we have swam in the north sea in "summer" so I'm sure we will have a dip! Lol
X

PaulandNic Jul 6th 2010 2:54 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8676580)
If you're coming from the UK, you will be one of those people the rest of us watch swimming whilst wearing jeans and jumpers :lol:

Or you'll be the one wondering who is buying these gloves and scarves for sale in Coles etc ...lol

We did our reccie purpously in July / Aug to see how BAD the winters are here on the Goldie. We had 19 of the 21 days with as good as clear blue skies ... :)

All climatised now and buying the gloves, but you'll not feel it ... :)

myrtle1 Jul 7th 2010 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by perthhopeful (Post 8675679)
Hi all,

We are hopefully heading to Brisbane/ gold coast in August :D

Thing is I am not sure what to pack in our suitcases? Will we need t shirts or jumpers? Will we even need swimming cossies?

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers
Xxx

On the advice of someone here, I brought a couple of pairs of fleecy p.j.'s - very sad I know.... but they have been a godsend! Having only been here for 5 days and coming from the UK summer - we have found it chilly to say the least!! Mind you, still managed a paddle in the sea so maybe you should squeeze that cossie in just in case :rofl:

bezzanbob Jul 7th 2010 10:16 pm

Did our rekkie last year.

Didn't wear anything but shorts until in Canberra and Victoria - some bloody funny looks mind you.

Reverted to shorts in Adelaide and Perth. Spent a memorable Sunday afternoon in Harndorff (Adelaide Hills) with all four of us in rain soaked shorts huddled by a fire in a cafe. They must have thought we'd broken out of the funny farm. :D :D

DadAgain Jul 7th 2010 11:48 pm

August in Brisbane is traditionaly a time for strong westerly winds (that said it never seems to be terribly windy compared to UK).

Sunny and warm (20C+) if sheltered from the wind but step into the shade where you catch the breeze and it'll feel like its under 10C. Nights can easily see temperatures drop to 4C and I've seen a handful of frosts (but ONLY a handful) in my 12 years. Typically the days will be clear blue and sunny - but the dryness of the air and openness of architecture means it can feel strangely cold. Clear skies at night mean you will want to rug up.

Having said all that - theres always the chance that 'typical' weather will not occur and you'll get a couple of weeks of wet grey 'homely' weather! (It was spitting with rain for a week when I first arrived in Brisbane in August). If it is raining however, it wont be so cold - or so warm - just comfortable and is unlikely to be accompanied by any siginificant breeze.

Sea temperatures at the moment are apparently a shade over 20C - so far too cold for normal people to swim - but possibly delightful for crazy English types.

In short - I agree with everyone else - pack everything from shorts to fleeces! :D

Buzzy--Bee Jul 7th 2010 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by bezzanbob (Post 8684798)
Did our rekkie last year.

Didn't wear anything but shorts until in Canberra and Victoria - some bloody funny looks mind you.

Reverted to shorts in Adelaide and Perth. Spent a memorable Sunday afternoon in Harndorff (Adelaide Hills) with all four of us in rain soaked shorts huddled by a fire in a cafe. They must have thought we'd broken out of the funny farm. :D :D

Assuming your "Victoria Bound" in your username is correct, the Victorian winter weather doesn't bother you! Not many people wearing shorts here right now.

BB

fish.01 Jul 7th 2010 11:57 pm

I agree....can be a windy month but you also could get sunburnt like I did a year or two ago.

brissyb Jul 8th 2010 12:21 am

We had family over from uk, last july/august ,we had already warned them not to think australia is always hot, and to bring jackets, jeans etc, did they listen ..no, the 16 year old daughter, spent loads on new cossies, that never got worn, none of them even thought of wearing a jacket so ended up lending ours, they ended up buying p-j's, slippers, and jumpers, yes the sun does still shine, but they didnt really listen when we said our temps of 20 plus, doesnt feel like theirs once they have been here for a week or so, ...my advice would be to defo bring a mixed suitcase, and if it's warmer than you expect then, thats a good thing :-)