Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is Oz really like??

What is Oz really like??

Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:23 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is Oz really like??

Originally Posted by ashwood
For me, the planning and the dream has been more exciting than the reality I suppose I came out here looking for "something deep and meaningful" to enrich my life. But after 3 weeks I'm counting the days til I go home! (next August) You win some and you lose some, and I'm a better person for the experience nonetheless. Of course, when I go back I'll tell people what a wonderful time I had, and what a cool thing it was to do
lol - I suppose if you know it's not for you, then you know ... but isn't it asking a bit much to find something "deep and meaningful" in three weeks? Not suggesting you'd necessarily find it after 3 years either, just that three weeks is barely enough time to get over the jet lag. Good luck back in the UK.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:29 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

It really is impossible to tell until you've given it a go, & if you've got the opportunity then just do it & see for for yourselves. It's like applying for uni or a job - you can get as much info on a place, even go round it for a visit or two, but until you actually live it day in, day out you can't tell if it's for you.

I've only been here 6 weeks which I know is too early to tell but I'm really missing the variation in scenery you get in the UK which beforehand I wouldn't have thought important! Most places in the UK you are rasonably near a large city with smaller towns around & they all have their own identity. Where I am now it's just city or nothing & even the little districts of the city are more or less the same. And there are hardly any things to visit in the local area outside of the city attractions, unlike in the UK where you usually have a variety of things in relatively easy access - stuff like a stately home to visit, a local arts theatre, a castle or historical site, the coast, countryside, etc There isn't as much going on in local areas which I've seen by comparing the local paper here with that at home where there would be pages of things like fetes, open days, steam days, car rallies... I'm more aware of this being part of a couple without family though. I'm sure it's different with kids when you have to manage a home & don't have as much free time to go out & about as you please.

Whinge over so to end on a big positive: I am loving the bright weather - even on the worse days it's so much brighter & lighter
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
I've only been here 6 weeks which I know is too early to tell but I'm really missing the variation in scenery you get in the UK which beforehand I wouldn't have thought important! Most places in the UK you are rasonably near a large city with smaller towns around & they all have their own identity. Where I am now it's just city or nothing & even the little districts of the city are more or less the same. And there are hardly any things to visit in the local area outside of the city attractions, unlike in the UK where you usually have a variety of things in relatively easy access - stuff like a stately home to visit, a local arts theatre, a castle or historical site, the coast, countryside, etc There isn't as much going on in local areas which I've seen by comparing the local paper here with that at home where there would be pages of things like fetes, open days, steam days, car rallies... I'm more aware of this being part of a couple without family though. I'm sure it's different with kids when you have to manage a home & don't have as much free time to go out & about as you please.
Yup - the scenery's so boring around Sydney isn't it?

You've only got the Harbour, the Blue Mountains, the Illawarra, the South Coast, the Hawkesbury River, the Central coast, and the Southern Highlands within a day trip.

And it's all so samey - the mountain villages being no different at all to the beach towns. And all the suburbs are identical - it's so hard to tell the difference between Paddington, Haberfield and Baulkham Hills.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The honeymoon period is fine, having kids grow up here is great although I never ceased to be anxious about the level of education. The sporting facilities are fantastic if you are in to sport and the weather - well the weather is just glorious, day after day after day!

After a few years you do begin to think it is all so samey - and it is, nothing here is older than the late 1700s and even that is scarce unless you are in one of the original settler sites. The trees are boringly eucalypt for the most part and the dirt is generally red - you will be able to see varying amounts depending on the rain we either have or, more to the point, have not had. It takes hours to drive from anywhere to anywhere and though the roads are generally quite good it gets rather boring after a while. You have no idea what it is like to yearn for a good weekend of rain (I loved the May bank holiday in UK it rained for 3 solid days!!!!)

The standard of living is good here, sure, wages dont compare with the UK but, then, neither do the prices really they are proportionately about the same for most things. The newer houses are definitely a cut above those you will find in UK but many of us dont live in them, just a little 3 bed weatherboard with a tin roof on a quarter acre is about all some of us can manage - no pool, no ensuite, no family room! (OK it is prime real estate and close to the centre of the capital rather than a 45 minute commute with the traffic out in the outer suburbs!).

Your family back home will grow older and you will worry about them, your kids may decide that the grass is greener for them back in UK and head off back there and you get fed up with the same weather day in day out. You can get a really nice latte here but if you yearn for a bit of history or soft grass then a zillion lattes just arent going to cut it.

We didnt go through the agonies of decision making like many of you have, nor really all the visa palaver either. DH is an Aussie, he got offered a scholarship and we had a very quick house sale, pack up etc, I remembered the visa thing about a month before we left and they fast tracked it for us - we had been married 5 yrs and had an Aussie registered son as well - so it was all very easy. Neither of us really had any inkling that this is where we would stay for the long term but 28 years later we are still here. If I knew then what I know now I dont know that I would do it the same way again - it looks as if we have to stay, mainly because DH wont go back to UK and it would be hard for him as a non Brit citizen and also our money doesnt have the same value so getting on the property ladder at retirement age would be impossible.

If you are looking for greener grass then this is probably not the place to come, it's just like any other Western country really, the work is the same, the chores are the same you just get better weather with it!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

ashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really nice

Re: Deep & Meaningful

I know 3 weeks is not long, but you do get an impression of a place after 3 weeks of living there! It's not that hard to sus out a place. Plus in my job I meet a whole range of colleages and clients so you get to know people quickly.

This is just my experience - people do tend to hype things up about Oz. For example that although you will earn less, the cost of living is much less, therefore your standard of living is actually higher. The cost of living is high, certainly in Brisbane. Everything has to be imported in, maybe this is a factor. Right from second hand cars, to rent, even to bread, milk, bank charges, internet, everything is lower quality but more expensive. The only thing that is cheaper is petrol - currently 119c/L. They say that eating out is cheaper... maybe I'm going to the wrong places but it's been expensive so far!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ashwood
Re: Deep & Meaningful

I know 3 weeks is not long, but you do get an impression of a place after 3 weeks of living there! It's not that hard to sus out a place. Plus in my job I meet a whole range of colleages and clients so you get to know people quickly.

This is just my experience - people do tend to hype things up about Oz. For example that although you will earn less, the cost of living is much less, therefore your standard of living is actually higher. The cost of living is high, certainly in Brisbane. Everything has to be imported in, maybe this is a factor. Right from second hand cars, to rent, even to bread, milk, bank charges, internet, everything is lower quality but more expensive. The only thing that is cheaper is petrol - currently 119c/L. They say that eating out is cheaper... maybe I'm going to the wrong places but it's been expensive so far!
Imported stuff is generally cheaper - that's why it's imported. That imported stuff costs more is down to the fact that retailers charge more for it and Aussie consumers have been conditioned to accpet/not question this.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

I find Australia a great place to live and work. The pay is not great, but you can live comfortably on it. The people I work with are fine, if a little 'straight' [ not in a gay way!]
There's always something to do, mainly outdoors too so the kids are happy - and tired at the end of the day.
The best thing though, is the fact that every day is a sunny day (in Darwin )
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:56 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 6 years and still like it here But i do feel people chasing a dream will be disappointed.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
From a born-and-bred Aussie, here's my 2p:

Australia is not for everyone. If you have no compelling reason to go... don't.
Nice post Vash. Spot on as we say.

I'd say, there are bad myths and good myths about Australia and depending on your situation and where you are, and your circumstances it is hard to know how you will go. Eg. the pace of life is slower here - even in Sydney but this may turn out to be a bad thing for you. Vash makes a good point about the cost - some things are cheap, others are more expensive.

My warning is that if you're living a sort of pedestrian life in the Uk you might be a pedestrian sort of person and might not be able to cope with the change.

People who seem to do the best over here are highly independent and motivated people, often they have a track record of living overseas or of ajustment, or really want a life that only Australia can realistically provide. There are also people who claim to be highly independant and motivated who find themselves bizarrely de-motivated. There are people who think they will become outdoors people just by getting through customs then find that 35plus heat in summer creates the opposite.

Other people really step up by just getting here. They hated their life and the chances they were born with or circumstance left them and the move snapped them out of it. I say to these people, "Good on ya".

Your average bod has no need of the joint other than a great place to visit.

In 5 years of posting on this forum, I'd also say that there is a pattern you can detect in all the very unhappy. This is no accident and it can be distilled down to:

i) Friends and family. My advice is if you are close don't go. Even the people who open the batting on this forum telling us how they hate their sister-in-law, and her father-in-law (etc) and their kids, to say nothing of arguments on Christmas Day will eventually miss the punchups and the neighbour's staffy barking at all hours. I kid you not(!)

ii) Suburban living and the reality is that alot of Australian lifestyle is not all it is made out to be. Half the population live in a big box in a sprawl and dormitory-live like their UK counterparts, living from one JB Hi-fi $15 dollar DVD special insert and a big mall shop and consumer injected euphoric high from one week to the next.

Finally, then, my advice is don't follow the crowd. If you really want what British people know as an Australian life, and have envisaged roos bouncing down the street and a big back yard, go and buy a house with a big back yard, not a brand new McMansion on an estate on the outer fringes (as they say here) just because it's bigger than anything else you've ever seen.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 8th 2007 at 11:40 am.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Imported stuff is generally cheaper - that's why it's imported. That imported stuff costs more is down to the fact that retailers charge more for it and Aussie consumers have been conditioned to accpet/not question this.
To be honest, that is beginning to change. I don't see how a whole nation can be conditioned to accept something like this. They don't teach it at TAFE or in evening subliminal broadcasts or under hypnosis.

Read real Australian forums and you will hear people waking up to this.

I hear the Aussie dollar has just hit 90c. Log on to Amazon now and fill your boots.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

flamelily has a spectacular aura aboutflamelily has a spectacular aura aboutflamelily has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by liverpool12
Hi Guys,

We are going through the hole application process now. TRA has been passed, 136 permanent applied for and just waiting for a case officer.

It feels like we have been waiting for ever, even though its only been in since July.

Anyway, been reading a few threads about people having second thoughts and stuff and me and the missus can really relate to that. I feel like all we talk about to each other is Australia, its seems that all we talk to the family about is Australia, it seems that all we talk to our friends about is Australia and its starting to wear me down. Everyone says to us "Oh it will be great and they wish that they had the guts to do what we are doing......etc" But then they tell us that they really dont want us to go and that they will really miss us.

The thing is, I am now thinking "Will it be great? Is it really that much better than the UK? Are we making the right choice? Is it really worth all the hassle?

We went over in March and April this year and loved the place, but we were on holiday and we know that real life is totally different and we are both going to have to work hard to have a decent life out there for our 2 kids.

We are not scared of hard work and both of us know that its not going to be easy, but we are going to give it 110% and make sure that it does work for us, but we have seemed to have forgotten what we liked about it in the first place.

So my question to you guys is...........What is Oz really like??....

We want both good and bad answers please, because at the moment we feel in limbo land living 2 lives. One is the Oz dream and one is the UK reality of trying to keep everything going as normal as possible. We have this life of planning for Oz and this other life of pretending that it doesnt exist. Especially for me and the missus working lives. We both cant tell our bosses or work collegues because we could lose our jobs, which would leave us both up Shit Creek without a paddle.

Sorry to go on for so long, just feeling really mixed up at the moment. We really wanna go..................but we cant remember why.........Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance guys for any reply's. Any advice or experiences would be very welcome.

Rob & Joanne

ps

We are heading to Perth by the way
all countries have pros & cons oz really is the lucky country & locals take for granted all the 'good' things they have. generally I think its a better lifestyle & upbringing for the kids, instead of in front of the telly or on the comp. they are outside on the tramp, in the pool, at the beach, playing sport endless good weather. just give them cold turkey from the electronics. however it takes 3 yrs to 'settle' & really get to know a place - don't expect things to run smoothy - don't expect relationships problems or life problems to be left behind (they travel with you) - its very easy to blame the country or the locals if things go wrong in your life - you have to make the effort - you are the newcomer they are not looking for new friends, go out join the bookclubs the sports, get into the local community & they will be very welcoming - don't whine to the locals that 'back home' has tescos - you will not starve in oz & choice is improving all the time...also generally in public the little kids seem better behaved, maybe they let out all their energy on the beach!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:12 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Write a list of the things you really want out of life. If you already have them in the UK (or you're already on the way to getting them) then why look elsewhere? Australia won't necessarily change your life for the better; it's not a magic wheel that spins straw into gold.

Like most places, Australia is a land of swings and roundabouts. You have to trade them off against each other. Some things are cheaper - a lot cheaper - than the UK. Other things are more expensive - a lot more expensive - than the UK. Find out what they are, and compare them. Try to estimate their impact on your family budget.

Consider your relationships with family and friends. Are you so close that you can't live without each other? Are you fairly independent? Could you cope effectively without your usual support network for months on end? Do you make friends easily, or are you happy to have "quality over quantity"?

Do you enjoy regular overseas holidays on the continent? Bear in mind that these will be almost unaffordable when you're flying from the southern hemisphere. Driving to Paris is great fun, but the Chunnel doesn't quite reach Australia. If you're the sort of person who would miss the benefits of proximity to Europe, think carefully before making a decision.

Above all, don't move to Australia "just to see what it's like". If that's your primary motivation, just take a holiday - and make it a long one.

What a fab post - absolutely spot on!

As for us - we had 2 years in Perth and came back to the UK and now are happier than ever.

'What is Oz really like??' - well the answer to that question is more about the person you are than the country itself - for some Australia is like heaven on earth, with a fanatstic climate and a great standard of living for others it is a place that is thousands of miles away from everything and everyone they know and love and is a place where they just don't belong.

I guess my point is the answer to that question is so personal and you never know what you will feel until you are living there, but as Vash so wisely says 'Australia is not for everyone.'

One thing is for certain, for all of us migration is a risk - for some the risk pays off for others it doesn't.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:45 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Above all, don't move to Australia "just to see what it's like". If that's your primary motivation, just take a holiday - and make it a long one.

Originally Posted by Hutch
Should be placed in an animated neon ad banner at the top of every "Is Australia for me" thread ...
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Nice post Vash. Spot on as we say.
so what would you count as a 'compelling reason to go'?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
so what would you count as a 'compelling reason to go'?
I guess it varies enormously. But if I've learnt anything from reading posts on these forums for the last couple of years, it's this - lots of people seem to emigrate based on a whim. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's my honest opinion. Doesn't mean that some of the old cliches people move for, like a better childhood for the kids, might not come true. It does mean that people seem to get so involved in the moment, in the big adventure of it all, that they forget they'll be taking themselves with them when they emigrate.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:18 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I guess it varies enormously. But if I've learnt anything from reading posts on these forums for the last couple of years, it's this - lots of people seem to emigrate based on a whim. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's my honest opinion. Doesn't mean that some of the old cliches people move for, like a better childhood for the kids, might not come true. It does mean that people seem to get so involved in the moment, in the big adventure of it all, that they forget they'll be taking themselves with them when they emigrate.
interesting point - but you are still telling me why people shouldnt emigrate - what i was really wondering was why you think people should emigrate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.