Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is Oz really like??

What is Oz really like??

Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:31 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is Oz really like??

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
interesting point - but you are still telling me why people shouldnt emigrate - what i was really wondering was why you think people should emigrate.
Like I said, it varies enormously and of course everyone has their own reasons. So allow me to explain mine (and I do mean mine, not my missus or my son's - though of course he being five had to come whatever ). I suffered badly from depression (I'm low-end bipolar) and, when we came here for a trial run a couple of years ago (for two months), I came off my medication and was 'right as rain' as they say. Couldn't honestly explain why that was - but we tried moving within the UK before emigrating and that made no difference, so it's not as simple as a change-of-scene. My missus thoroughly enjoyed having the old me back and also loved Australia and Australians and so suggested we emigrate here. There were of course other reasons - such as the fact that I have family here (my dad's an aussie), that we vastly prefer the NSW education system to the Gloucestershire one, that the weather's great and that we can afford to live on the coast - but the main reason was that Australia agrees with my somewhat screwed-up brain.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:47 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Like I said, it varies enormously and of course everyone has their own reasons. So allow me to explain mine (and I do mean mine, not my missus or my son's - though of course he being five had to come whatever ). I suffered badly from depression (I'm low-end bipolar) and, when we came here for a trial run a couple of years ago (for two months), I came off my medication and was 'right as rain' as they say. Couldn't honestly explain why that was - but we tried moving within the UK before emigrating and that made no difference, so it's not as simple as a change-of-scene. My missus thoroughly enjoyed having the old me back and also loved Australia and Australians and so suggested we emigrate here. There were of course other reasons - such as the fact that I have family here (my dad's an aussie), that we vastly prefer the NSW education system to the Gloucestershire one, that the weather's great and that we can afford to live on the coast - but the main reason was that Australia agrees with my somewhat screwed-up brain.
sounds like an excellent reason

The reason i am asking is because i dont think that i do have a 'compelling reason' to emigrate. We have the opportunity and the means and a 'life is too short' attitude and are planning on going for what appears to me some of the reasons that others have said are poor reasons.
To me the move is an adventure - to try something different and to experience life in a different country. If we go and we love it we will stay. If we go and we dont love it we will head off somewhere else to try something different (either back to the uk or on to a different country)
Yes i could sit here in my safe and comfy uk chair for the next 30 years and be perfectly happy - but why turn down the chance to try something different - i might like it more

maybe this does count as a 'compelling reason' - i dont know - hence the question
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really nice

This answer above is one of the reasons that I posted the original question.......

If we didn't do it now, then we would regret it for the rest of our lives and always wonder what might have been.

Of course we will miss friends and family. Who wouldn't?? You would have to be totally heartless to not miss people, but life goes on and we are doing this for US and the kids not anybody else.

Wish us luck

(If we ever get there!!)

Rob
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

The reason i am asking is because i dont think that i do have a 'compelling reason' to emigrate. We have the opportunity and the means and a 'life is too short' attitude and are planning on going for what appears to me some of the reasons that others have said are poor reasons.
To me the move is an adventure - to try something different and to experience life in a different country. If we go and we love it we will stay. If we go and we dont love it we will head off somewhere else to try something different (either back to the uk or on to a different country)
Yes i could sit here in my safe and comfy uk chair for the next 30 years and be perfectly happy - but why turn down the chance to try something different - i might like it more

maybe this does count as a 'compelling reason' - i dont know - hence the question
Same here Tiggs! look at the cr@p we put ourselves through for this experience too!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:34 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Same here Tiggs! look at the cr@p we put ourselves through for this experience too!
i wonder if that makes you work harder to try and make things work out - or if it makes you resentful of the country you are heading to?

do you leave the stress of the process behind - or do you take it with you and add to it he stresses associated with being in a unfamiliar environment
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:35 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by liverpool12
This answer above is one of the reasons that I posted the original question.......

If we didn't do it now, then we would regret it for the rest of our lives and always wonder what might have been.

Of course we will miss friends and family. Who wouldn't?? You would have to be totally heartless to not miss people, but life goes on and we are doing this for US and the kids not anybody else.

Wish us luck

(If we ever get there!!)

Rob
good luck Karma on its way to you
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

i wonder if that makes you work harder to try and make things work out - or if it makes you resentful of the country you are heading to?

do you leave the stress of the process behind - or do you take it with you and add to it he stresses associated with being in a unfamiliar environment
I read somewhere that migrants once in their new country, deal with stress well as they have learnt to cope. Not sure if that's true!

Hopefully the experience will make us work harder to make the move a success.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:35 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you. I think wanting a change/ an opportunity / adventure is a great reason to go.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you are young and enthusiastic there is nothing like taking up the challenge! I think some of us have come across changes as we have got older which may jaundice the way we think about where we have ended up. When we were in our 20s and 30s we lived in PNG, UK and Aus and never gave a thought to uprooting and moving where the opportunities were, we just did it! We didnt have forward planning for what to do in our retirement and that, for us, has been the biggest problem with me thinking that half time here and half in UK was what I wanted to do and him thinking that living out in the bush miles away from anywhere is what he wanted to do (oops, not a good match!).

I'd say if you have an opportunity which looks too good to resist and you are young and able then go for it! You wont know until you try it but (and with the benefit of hindsight here) try not to burn any bridges in the process.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

All of the above...you try desperately to make it work, resent it if it still isn't right, feel more stressed and get ill, then if you are lucky take the bull by the horns and come home!
As for Hutches compelling reason idea,I agree. We were definately "whim-sters", "because we could" . Not such a good basis to change an entire families lifestyle really.Particualrly as Vash has said, if what you have is already working, then why change?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:46 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Rightly or wrongly those are my reasons exactly.

Lee
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:00 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by liverpool12
Hi Guys,

We are going through the hole application process now. TRA has been passed, 136 permanent applied for and just waiting for a case officer.

It feels like we have been waiting for ever, even though its only been in since July.

Anyway, been reading a few threads about people having second thoughts and stuff and me and the missus can really relate to that. I feel like all we talk about to each other is Australia, its seems that all we talk to the family about is Australia, it seems that all we talk to our friends about is Australia and its starting to wear me down. Everyone says to us "Oh it will be great and they wish that they had the guts to do what we are doing......etc" But then they tell us that they really dont want us to go and that they will really miss us.

The thing is, I am now thinking "Will it be great? Is it really that much better than the UK? Are we making the right choice? Is it really worth all the hassle?

We went over in March and April this year and loved the place, but we were on holiday and we know that real life is totally different and we are both going to have to work hard to have a decent life out there for our 2 kids.

We are not scared of hard work and both of us know that its not going to be easy, but we are going to give it 110% and make sure that it does work for us, but we have seemed to have forgotten what we liked about it in the first place.

So my question to you guys is...........What is Oz really like??....

We want both good and bad answers please, because at the moment we feel in limbo land living 2 lives. One is the Oz dream and one is the UK reality of trying to keep everything going as normal as possible. We have this life of planning for Oz and this other life of pretending that it doesnt exist. Especially for me and the missus working lives. We both cant tell our bosses or work collegues because we could lose our jobs, which would leave us both up Shit Creek without a paddle.

Sorry to go on for so long, just feeling really mixed up at the moment. We really wanna go..................but we cant remember why.........Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance guys for any reply's. Any advice or experiences would be very welcome.

Rob & Joanne

ps

We are heading to Perth by the way
Only at the end do u say where you're going as if everywhere in Oz is the same. I mean my advice to an ex-pat heading to Torbay would be different to someone going to Liverpool (eg Walton, Toxteth )

Why would anyone want to live in Perth? This is the most isolated city in the world and apart from Rottnest Island the local attractions like the Margaret River u need an overnight stay and the Pinnacles (another local attraction) is several hours away. To get to the nearest Oz city (Adelaide) u need to fly. The city centre including Subiaco is pretty dull although the beaches are ok -Cottesloe being the best - but then most Oz cities are on the coast. Fancy being stuck all the time in boring Perth apart from when u take yr holidays - mad.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:01 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What is Oz really like??

so what would you count as a 'compelling reason to go'?
Amazed that I missed this back in October; have only just seen it because the thread was bumped.

Compelling reasons to go? Well, Hutch has presented a good one, but here are some alternatives:
  • Kids have grown up and moved out; you've wanted to emigrate for a while, and this is your chance to do it, but the usual Pommie retreats (Majorca/Brittany/Andorra/wherever else the Poms are escaping to these days) no longer hold any attraction, and you'd prefer an English-speaking country anyway

• Family connections to Australia; perhaps one (or both!) of your parents is an Aussie, and you feel that it's time to go home; or perhaps some of your closer relatives have moved Down Under and you want to follow them

• You're an Aussie (like me!) and you've enjoyed your 4+ years in the UK, but your rose-tinted specs fell off a long time ago, and the highlights of British cultural achievement (Wigan Pier/Alton Towers/Blackpool/Margate/Trentham Monkey Forest/Leicester Women's Institute) just don't thrill you anymore...

• You are utterly miserable in the UK (perhaps you live in The Lunt, or somewhere similar); you've visited Australia before (or you know a bit about it) and you're desperate for a change

Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:24 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure we had a compelling reason to go mate, we liked our lives in the UK and we like them here. We had the opportunity to come to Australia, I was lucky enough (made my own luck?) to be working in an industry which has good employment prospects in any large urban westernised society.

If we hadn't have come it would have been on our minds FOR EVER.

Saying all the above, I am enjoying Melbourne more than I thought (dared hope?) I would, I haven't found any negatives here that bother me at all.

LG

Life's Good.

Buzzy
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:51 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

dont care i cant wait just love it there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.