Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a Nursery Nurse in Australia?

What is a Nursery Nurse in Australia?

Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough
Default What is a Nursery Nurse in Australia?

Hi Ive been looking up Nursery Nurse jobs in Australia but am not coming up with much, are they called something different there?

Ideally Id like to work in Day Care / Nursery there looking after under 5's, here Im called a Nursery Nurse
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

lazylou123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is a Nursery Nurse in Australia?

Hi

I am a nursery nurse too and in Oz I think we are called childcare workers, I posted a thread on the working abroad by profession - teaching forum and that was the info I got back. I know that we have to have a blue card to work with children and we need to note it on our medical forms (not sure if your that far - I'm not) someone left a website address to go on which lets you know about accepted qualifications in Qld

hope this helps

Louisa
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

A nursery nurse is a child care worker. Pay and responsibility depend on which qualification a child care worker has, NVQ3, NNEB = 2 yr qualified in aus and a degree = 3 yr qualified

have a read of this
http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/childcare/workingcc/

it is only useful however, if you are looking at Qld!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough

Thanks, and the link is helpfull as that is where we are thinking of going
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

if you want an idea of pay too you might want to look at this

http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/award...ards&_id=C0600

click on the region of qld and it will give you the pay award

sam
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sammyg, sorry but I really dont understand how to use that site
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Managed to navigate my way to the pay scale bit, but didnt understand that! Was looking at the part-time bit and it was 17.2105 up to 18.0000 and weekly $654 to $854.... full time I guess. And what does Year 1/2 or 3 stand for?!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

on the right hand side there is a map of the regions in qld. Beneath that there is a box to choose a region. Click on one of those and it will go through the whole pay award for child care workers.

Here's the southern one, which i think includes most of Brissie?!

http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/aol/s...ent/child1.pdf

Sam
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Im so thick - figured it out, its per hour! Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Don't worry ozzydreamer it took me ages to work it out too! I have a 2 year Diploma in Nursery Nursing (NNEB) and also a 3 year BA (hons) in Primary Education and Teaching (I'm currently a Reception teacher). From what I can make out, I could work as a group leader in QLD earning approx. £300 a week full-time or £10 ph casual work...does that sound about right?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

I have read that if you work as a registered childminder working from your own home you can earn 45,000 per year for basic hrs and more if you work evening and weekends.
It might suit anyone who has kids and may struggle to work, all training and registration is tax deductable.

minibelle
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sammyg
on the right hand side there is a map of the regions in qld. Beneath that there is a box to choose a region. Click on one of those and it will go through the whole pay award for child care workers.

Here's the southern one, which i think includes most of Brissie?!

http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/aol/s...ent/child1.pdf

Sam

Hi Sam

Sorry to bomb bard you but you seem like a lady who knows her stuff when it comes to childcare. Can I ask when I go to Oz in July I will have a NVQ 2 in Childcare (which allows me to work with children 0 to 16 years) will that NVQ be good enough to work in Oz?

Hope you can help

Cheers

Tina x
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Minibel- do you know if the rules and regs are as strict in Oz as they are in the UK for child minders? I know here your house has to be totally child-proofed, which if one was renting could be problematic!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

GillyG - im pretty sure the rules are very similar - I am thinking of doing family day care as I childmind here and prefer it to a Nursery. Do you know if you can go over and be self-employed straight away though?

These sites may help you though:
http://www.familydaycare.com.au/
http://www.ncac.gov.au/
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

lossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nice

Originally Posted by sammyg
A nursery nurse is a child care worker. Pay and responsibility depend on which qualification a child care worker has, NVQ3, NNEB = 2 yr qualified in aus and a degree = 3 yr qualified

have a read of this
http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/childcare/workingcc/

it is only useful however, if you are looking at Qld!
sammy do you know where the hnc childcare and education stands i'm so bloody confuzzled lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.