Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the norm to ask be included in your contract when on a 457 visa?

What is the norm to ask be included in your contract when on a 457 visa?

Old May 3rd 2011, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of
Default What is the norm to ask be included in your contract when on a 457 visa?

My company is relocating me to Oz and I wanted to make sure I was asking for the right clauses on my contract for someone on a 457 and whether those things are regarded as standard for someone making such a move. I should add they have appointed a migration agent to assist me with the application and will look after flights, freight and accommodation for one month upon arrival. But in addition:

1 Health Insurance - is it the "done thing" in Australia for your employer to offer health insurance, is it a big ask on my account?

2 LAFHA - is this relatively straight forward for them to administer, and/or do I have to do any ground work my end?

3 Should I expect it as a given for them to further their obligations re my 457 visa to my partner and pay the cost of administering her visa? And what of her flights?

4 Should I ask for a clause saying they should pay for the return flight and freight should anything go drastically wrong?

5 Is 20 days annual leave the norm?

6 Is 4 weeks notice-of-termination for both parties still the norm for the 457, or should i push for 3 months for added security?

Have I got most things covered or does anyone have any other suggestions? Does anyone have experience of handling this process able to tell me if I'm on the right track?
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the norm to ask be included in your contract when on a 457 visa?

Just my thoughts.

1. Health insurance isn't normally provided by Australian employers AFAIK.
2. You should push for LAFHA, some don't offer it as they say it is an administrative burden don't know how true that is.
3. Apologies if I am mixing you up with someone else but IIRC you have a girlfriend / boyfriend not a defacto partner and therefore no, I do not think it is up to the company to find him / her a visa. If you were a defacto couple then of course you should be able to put them on your 457 application.
4. Yes. Business class.
5. Yes
6. Notice period would depend upon the position / level of seniority not the visa type.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of
Default Re: What is the norm to ask be included in your contract when on a 457 visa?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Just my thoughts.
3. Apologies if I am mixing you up with someone else but IIRC you have a girlfriend / boyfriend not a defacto partner and therefore no, I do not think it is up to the company to find him / her a visa. If you were a defacto couple then of course you should be able to put them on your 457 application.
No mix up. We'll only be defacto in 5 months - so I can see them not paying for the flight, but assisting with the addition to the 457 at the time.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
4. Yes. Business class.
They "don't do business class" unfortunately!
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by towers
No mix up. We'll only be defacto in 5 months - so I can see them not paying for the flight, but assisting with the addition to the 457 at the time.

They "don't do business class" unfortunately!
If you don't live with your defacto for 5 months you will not be classed as in a defacto relationship by DIAC
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
If you don't live with your defacto for 5 months you will not be classed as in a defacto relationship by DIAC
Oh no, we're living together for that entire time, we've that particular problem in hand now.
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of what you can ask for and get on a 457 really depends on how senior you are when it comes to transferring for your current employer. I used to work for a multinational company that sent expats over. The more senior ones (MD, CEO, CFO) would get everything paid for, including rent, all insurances, 2 business class return trips for the whole family, private school fees, a car, etc. The less senior ones (HR officer, finance manager) would get a rent allowance, maybe a car and health insurance, 1 return flight in business class for the family and moving costs or sometimes a lump sum for them to do as they wanted. Others got not much... It depends on how the company treat their expats mostly.

You need to find out what your employer usually offers for expatriation and at home and work from there. If they pay for private health insurance at home, then you should ask for it. If not, maybe start negotiating on that or other things.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:00 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

The best package I have ever come across is the multilateral aid bank I do some contracting for:

http://www.adb.org/Employment/remuneration-benefits.asp

Sadly as a contractor I dont get it.

It might give you some ideas though.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
The best package I have ever come across is the multilateral aid bank I do some contracting for:

http://www.adb.org/Employment/remuneration-benefits.asp

Sadly as a contractor I dont get it.

It might give you some ideas though.
There's one or two in there for sure, would love that package though; seems very generous!
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over as a senior rail engineer, so my answers are based on that position

1 Health Insurance - is it the "done thing" in Australia for your employer to offer health insurance, is it a big ask on my account?

Yes for me and family.

2 LAFHA - is this relatively straight forward for them to administer, and/or do I have to do any ground work my end?

Not sure how easy it is, should be for a big company. You shouldn't need to do anything.

3 Should I expect it as a given for them to further their obligations re my 457 visa to my partner and pay the cost of administering her visa? And what of her flights?

Depends on position and relationship status I'd imagine, again my wife and 2 kids got the lot.

4 Should I ask for a clause saying they should pay for the return flight and freight should anything go drastically wrong?

Can try, my contract says that if I return within 2 years I need to pay them back the costs they spent on flights, visas, shipping etc.

5 Is 20 days annual leave the norm?

Yes

6 Is 4 weeks notice-of-termination for both parties still the norm for the 457, or should i push for 3 months for added security?

4 weeks on my contract, although in 6 month probation it's a week

Have I got most things covered or does anyone have any other suggestions? Does anyone have experience of handling this process able to tell me if I'm on the right track?[/QUOTE]

I'd get a firm idea on what they will pay for LAFHA rent component before arriving, my rent is double what they give me. 457 Visa should have flights home at end of Visa.

Edit: I'd be looking for 4 weeks acommodation paid for on arrival.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Borussia_Teeth has a spectacular aura aboutBorussia_Teeth has a spectacular aura aboutBorussia_Teeth has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by towers

If your visa is cancelled because you are sacked (and possibly even if you leave) I think your sponsor is obliged to pay your (cattle class) air fare home unless you get another job and transfer the visa to another company.