Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What! That Much Luggage, but No Guitar!

What! That Much Luggage, but No Guitar!

Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

morganj is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy What! That Much Luggage, but No Guitar!

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could share their experiences of Air New Zealand via Los Angelas, Auckland...

I was really impressed with the 64Kilo 2 piece check-in luggage (as I understand this applies on all American-bound flights), but then realised that not only did I want to pack my suitcases to the rafters but want to bring my guitar along with me too.

I was hoping to include the 6 kilos my guitar (and flight case) weight in my allowance. But, no, that's not to be! They want to charge me £150 for the pleasure!!!!

Is there away around this? I thought of a number of cunning ways; some more cheekier than the others.

a) Smile at the person at check-in and be really nice?
b) Bring just the 32 Kilos and the guitar
c) Somehow ship the guitar separately - but what about the costs? Will royal mail do it? Or someone else who offers a cheap but a fast service
d) Wait until a relative comes over and they can ship it - but when would they come?
e) Buy a really large suitcase that will house a guitar case plus some other clothes

Dilemmas, dilemmas!

What are your experiences? Have any one managed to get the guitar out there included with their 2-piece allowance?

I don't really want to have my strong bond between me and the guitar severed.

Please help!

Cheers,
Jay
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What! That Much Luggage, but No Guitar!

I feel your pain Jay, I had great plans to ship both of my electrics out with me but settled for one (very full) suitcase and a guitar ... Singapore were very nice about the extra couple o' kilos though.

No idea about your US dilemma though ... maybe giving the airline a ring and explaining you'd still be under the allowance would help? Better than turning up and trying to get the allowance there and then I guess.

If it's a bolt-on neck (and electric) then you could dismantle the guitar and split it between the cases ... I wouldn't though

Couldn't find anyone "cheap" to ship my other guitar so I'm waiting until I make a visit back to the UK in a year or so.

Cheers
Matt
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I feel your pain Jay, I had great plans to ship both of my electrics out with me but settled for one (very full) suitcase and a guitar ... Singapore were very nice about the extra couple o' kilos though.

No idea about your US dilemma though ... maybe giving the airline a ring and explaining you'd still be under the allowance would help? Better than turning up and trying to get the allowance there and then I guess.

If it's a bolt-on neck (and electric) then you could dismantle the guitar and split it between the cases ... I wouldn't though

Couldn't find anyone "cheap" to ship my other guitar so I'm waiting until I make a visit back to the UK in a year or so.

Cheers
Matt
Accoustic, unfortunately Matt! I think I will try the I'm under the allowance approach via constant, but polite harassment. I want to be on first name terms with all of those who work at the help desk for ANZ!

Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Royal Mail will post the guitar as will other freight carriers. Have seen guitars carried onto the aircraft as hand luggage. But hey, why not buy a guitar on the other side?
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zebra4
Royal Mail will post the guitar as will other freight carriers. Have seen guitars carried onto the aircraft as hand luggage. But hey, why not buy a guitar on the other side?
Hi Zebra4, I didn't realise Royal Mail would do it. Check out their website and was confused by what appeared a 2 kilo limit....Maybe I'll check it out with the post office this week!

Buying a new guitar, for me this is a last resort! My bond to my guitar is far too unhealthy to be broken now!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Buying a new guitar, for me this is a last resort! My bond to my guitar is far too unhealthy to be broken now![/QUOTE]

Hope that guitar travels well and becomes famous in New Zealand.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:25 pm
I CU HACKN

keyurlavingia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zebra4
Buying a new guitar, for me this is a last resort! My bond to my guitar is far too unhealthy to be broken now!
Hope that guitar travels well and becomes famous in New Zealand.[/QUOTE]

I think they will allow you to take it as carry-on baggage in the plane. If you want to check it in ...then you will not be able to take a 32Kilo bag. For travel to/from the US, you get two bags of 32Kg each and then one carry-on item. The carry-on, if oversized ...like a guitar or golf clubs, may create problems though. Just bring the two bags and the guitar when you check in and they should allow you to bring it onboard. I have noticed golf clubs being denied though.

A smile will definately go a long way. Don't sell it yet ..give it back to some relative who drops you off at the airport incase they wont let u take it for free.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by keyurlavingia
Hope that guitar travels well and becomes famous in New Zealand.

I think they will allow you to take it as carry-on baggage in the plane. If you want to check it in ...then you will not be able to take a 32Kilo bag. For travel to/from the US, you get two bags of 32Kg each and then one carry-on item. The carry-on, if oversized ...like a guitar or golf clubs, may create problems though. Just bring the two bags and the guitar when you check in and they should allow you to bring it onboard. I have noticed golf clubs being denied though.

A smile will definately go a long way. Don't sell it yet ..give it back to some relative who drops you off at the airport incase they wont let u take it for free.[/QUOTE]

I will certainly try and get it on board. But as you say, if not I have my family to take it back!

But I am actually heading for Melbourne! It wasn't really clear on the post. Yes, being known in New Zealand as well as Oz (and everywhere else for that matter - ) would be preferable!