Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the most stressful part

What is the most stressful part

Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:09 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What is the most stressful part

Which part of emmigration did you find the most stressful? Bollocks forgot to add the poll.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:17 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: What is the most stressful part

Originally posted by bondipom
Which part of emmigration did you find the most stressful? Bollocks forgot to add the poll.

lol
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

LOL so funny bondipom.
Leaving the family, holding my mum and dad with tears streaming down their faces, the kids being inconsolable for hours after , very hard.
Joanne
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:41 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Most of it. Waiting for the visa, selling the house, the leaving do and saying all the goodbyes and now the stage we are at finding work. I don't think its stressful so much as an emotional rollercoaster. I have had a very hard weekend. I have an interview tomorrow but hubby has heard nothing yet. We have money so its not a problem but just the whole day in day out with no work gets you down.

Lets hope we get something soon as we need to get back to work for our sanity.

Jo
Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:56 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Which part of emmigration did you find the most stressful?
You're a mind reader bondi. Was just thinking same myself.

Difficult to say what's been most stressful as we've not got to Oz yet so still going through process. But like others say, it's the emotional roller coaster ride that's been difficult

One thing I have noticed is that we have been more poorly this year than ever before. Full of colds, aches and pains which we don't seem to be able to shrug off.

I wonder if people [other than those of us going through emmigration] actually realise that it's more than just filing in a few forms here and there.....

These are some of the emotional issues we've had to deal with in order to get to Oz [done them in chronological order rather than in importance];

Complete Uni one year early
Dog died
Cat died
Father taken seriously ill
son heart problem [diagnosed via medical]
Friends little girl died [age 2.5yrs]
Work promotion [unplanned]
DIMIA cock-ups / delays
House selling
Moving / packing arrangements

I'm sure there are more.... but as we don't dwell on these things it's likely forgotton. One thing though.......regardless as to the trauma and roller coaster ride of emotions, we have NEVER had any regrets so far.

Lots of apprehension, stress, fear of unknown, tears, loss of sleep etc....but NEVER regret.....

Am I being soft or daft? ...........are these feelings normal?

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi phoenix,

yeah, i think it is completely normal to have all those feelings..... i've been cool as a cucumber upto now and since we got the visas granted i've differed between having a tummy full of excited butterflies and that 'nervous' tummy churning feeling........

We've been lucky, so far as the fact that compared to most, our visas have been granted really quickly, so although i was stressed out with the wait, it wasn't as long as some....

the house sale...well, went through the sick and stressed feeling that we were selling too soon (b4 the visa grant) and emotional stuff regarding the house as i love it so much and theres so many memories here......

now i'm busy sorting stuff to get rid of and stuff to keep, organising shippers / currency brokers / opening aussie bank account / collating all the various paperwork - references - etc we need to take with us / booking flights / planning my notice for work ( ! ) / and so on, etc, blah, blah......

the funny thing is tho' that i don't find any of these things stressful and am glad to have stuff to do, to take my mind off the other things which i am putting to the back of my mind, i.e saying goodbyes.....

don't know how stressful it'll be when we get over there, i'll take it as it comes, i reckon.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

So far the sorting and packing have been the most stressful
Trying to pack ,look after the children and having hubbie at home all the time !!!!.
Im sure there is worst to come:scared: :scared:
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:15 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Hi standleigh

Thanx 4 yr reply and words of encouragement

I note you applied in November 03 and have already received your visa. That's quick!!

I applied in March 03 and have still not received confirmation due to DIMIA cock up [have received pre-grant though and have pd bond].

When do you hope to be in Oz? and whereabouts?

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Hi standleigh

Thanx 4 yr reply and words of encouragement

I note you applied in November 03 and have already received your visa. That's quick!!

I applied in March 03 and have still not received confirmation due to DIMIA cock up [have received pre-grant though and have pd bond].

When do you hope to be in Oz? and whereabouts?

Phoenixuk2oz

Hi Phoenix!!!!

Congrats on the pre-grant - not long now eh?!

Yes, we got our visa grant very quickly - we feel SO lucky.

we are going at the beginning of september - flights permitting - as we want our little boy to finish his first full year of school here and enjoy the 6 wk holidays with his little mates.

We are headed for Cairns, as we love it up there. We do have some reservations, regarding the weather - both the heat and the 'wet' season, but we will stick it out for a full year to experience the climate and then evaluate the situation......

We love it up there so much that we feel its worth the risk and failing that, we'll go to Brisbane / surrounding areas.

Failing that, we'll move on again!!!!! To cut along story short, we love Australia, its just a case of us finding the right place for us to settle!

how about you guys? Do you have nippers?

Good luck and i hope you have that grant letter in your hands REALLY soon,

best wishes,
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:41 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Hiya Standleigh

We have 2 boys [15 & 17]. We have sold our house [STC] and are hoping to go to Brisbane in July [about 8/9 weeks].

Am aprehensive. Gave my notice [a year ago] and DIMIA have still to send us the visa [they mixed up my initials with my son's and awarded my son the grant]

Hence delay and extre stress we could have done without

Good luck re your plans my friend........and get back to me if you decide on Brissy. I'll get kettle on

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:39 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

BP, I just fell off my chair laughing. Think it's the first time I've *seen* you swear on here and it's still cracking me up.

It's Monday. That's my only excuse.

And as for stressful moments?? I'm not even that far down the immi path yet, but for me it's been the world of confusion I was in before I found this fourm! That and sorting out my medical
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Well, it'd be nice to be able to get as far as being able to send out VETASSESS / ACS applications out!

Uni have managed to "misplace" all information about my IT course (What, it's not on computer then? Perhaps they should have gone on the course instead of me?) They then advised that for SWMBO's transcripts there would be an 8 week turnaround. This was at the end of Jan. Guess what...
Old Apr 19th 2004, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Good luck re your plans my friend........and get back to me if you decide on Brissy. I'll get kettle on

Phoenixuk2oz

You're on, i love a good cuppa and a chin wag!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2004, 12:20 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by steandleigh
You're on, i love a good cuppa and a chin wag!!!!
Kettle's on already matey!!!

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 19th 2004, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

and to take one M out of emigration. Sorry BP, couldn't resist.

OzTennis