Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What money to take during recice

What money to take during recice

Old Sep 18th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default What money to take during recice

Any advice on money during a reccie, combination of Oz currency and credit cards? or should we open a bank account in Oz, put some money in it and use that?

What about travellers cheques?

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What money to take during recice

If you are planning on taking more than £5000 get forex, Hifx Moneycorp ect to do a money transfer to an Oz bank. You can set it up on line before you go get the money transferred and take your passport in to the bank and collect you cards.

They charge you to change travellers chq's even if they are in $. HSBC do an account that don't charge you to take money out in another currency what there rates are like I don't know.

Credit cards and most banks charge you every time you use them.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

gt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by marvinc
Any advice on money during a reccie, combination of Oz currency and credit cards? or should we open a bank account in Oz, put some money in it and use that?

If spending Sterling:

Open a Nationwide current/flex account and use their debit card at ATM's rather than taking travellers cheques..

Having one of their credit cards is also a good idea for purchases (not ATM's)

Regards
Sunil
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:12 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most banks charge for changing travellers cheques too. I think it is about $7
J x
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:22 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: What money to take during recice

Thanks
We bought Australian dollars through the M&S Website. The notes are super-thin, so you can carry hundreds of $ without a bulge in your wallet. And of course, you get the benefit of having a $100 note.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:26 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
if you can,
go the oz bank way using one of the exchange companies or migrant banking with commonwealth bank,
http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/movi...ng_an_account/

using a uk credit card or "switch" card works out really expensive

i know i used our natwest cards whilst out here for the first time
£6 a transaction and an exchange rate about 14 / 16 cents under the interbank rate

regards steve
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:56 am
Just Joined

gt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
iusing a uk credit card or "switch" card works out really expensive

i know i used our natwest cards whilst out here for the first time
£6 a transaction and an exchange rate about 14 / 16 cents under the interbank rate
Thats why I recommend Nationwide.

They give the VISA exchange rate and charge no commission, loading or any other fees.

Regards
Sunil