Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a McMansion?

What is a McMansion?

Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:24 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a McMansion?

Originally Posted by northernbird
Our house is similar. I have a family/eating/kitchen at the back of the house where we spend the majority of our time. I also like the idea of everything being in one room so I can see/hear the kids. A door separates the formal living/dining at the front of the house so I can go in there to read/talk on the phone etc if the kids or husband are watching TV out the back. I also have a door on the laundry, it would drive me crackers otherwise.
Great minds think alike Carol
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:35 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the dooners
Thanks
Is that good . That it's not a McMansion
Anyway I like it for now so I'm quite happy
It's of no importance what other people call it. You like it - perfect.

For what it's worth, I think it looks lovely too.

Is there such a thing as a McCastle? I quite fancy one if there is...
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:42 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=northernbird;6546123]That is the part about some of these newer homes that I dislike the most. You can't shut anything off. If the kids are watching TV you have no peace to sit and read. If the washing machine is on then the noise seems to carry through the whole house.QUOTE]

This is something that we thought very carefully about when we were designing our home, which is currently under construction. We have our master suite, the kitchen, open plan living and dining area all upstairs with the study at the back of the house. We designated downstairs as the boys entertaning area, they have their bedrooms, bathroom and laundry adjacent to central games area on one side. On the other side of the games area they have a small gym and there is also a guest bedroom and bathroom. We have included a door which separates the games area from the youngest lad's bedroom, the entrance foyer, the stairs and the theatre room which is at the front of the house. If you fancy a gander my plans are on my house build thread.

My hubby is a shift worker so he needs to be able to sleep during the day at weekends and in the school holidays. With this design I will be able to keep upstairs quiet but the boys will still be able to have their friends over, watch movies, play their video games etc without disturbing dad. We even put a little kitchenette downstairs so they won't have to come tearing up the stairs to get their snacks and drinks.

ACE
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ACE;6550574]
Originally Posted by northernbird
That is the part about some of these newer homes that I dislike the most. You can't shut anything off. If the kids are watching TV you have no peace to sit and read. If the washing machine is on then the noise seems to carry through the whole house.QUOTE]

This is something that we thought very carefully about when we were designing our home, which is currently under construction. We have our master suite, the kitchen, open plan living and dining area all upstairs with the study at the back of the house. We designated downstairs as the boys entertaning area, they have their bedrooms, bathroom and laundry adjacent to central games area on one side. On the other side of the games area they have a small gym and there is also a guest bedroom and bathroom. We have included a door which separates the games area from the youngest lad's bedroom, the entrance foyer, the stairs and the theatre room which is at the front of the house. If you fancy a gander my plans are on my house build thread.

My hubby is a shift worker so he needs to be able to sleep during the day at weekends and in the school holidays. With this design I will be able to keep upstairs quiet but the boys will still be able to have their friends over, watch movies, play their video games etc without disturbing dad. We even put a little kitchenette downstairs so they won't have to come tearing up the stairs to get their snacks and drinks.

ACE
I can see how your design would work for your family. Personally I wouldn't want to be sleeping on a different floor to my kiddies but mine are still young.

I will watch your house building thread with interest.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:09 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=northernbird;6550581][QUOTE=ACE;6550574]
I can see how your design would work for your family. Personally I wouldn't want to be sleeping on a different floor to my kiddies but mine are still young.
QUOTE]

That is a very valid point. We have slept on different floors to the boys on numerous holidays and it has been fine but I really don't know what it will be like on a day to day basis. We might end up in the guest room.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

If you fancy living in Wisteria Lane (Desperate Housewives) then on the Caroline Springs estate in Melbourne they are developing several streets into replica's (or near enough) of Wisteria Lane in Desperate Housewives. The street is actually called 'Wisteria Lane'.

Here is an example:

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...id=2007224113#

Apparently the development was very popular so they are planning on doing another one nearby.

They cost about $450,000.

Last edited by melbournegirl; Jul 9th 2008 at 3:13 am.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tassietiger
So given a choice between Coronation street, Slumville, UK and Ramsay street, Legoland OZ, you prefer Legoland.
Ramsay Street is NOT legoland. Infact the joke is, it is very much absolutely established middle suburbs. Personally I think it is slightly sterile in that it is a bit American, but it is the epitomy of the established burb next to infrastructure etc not much more than 30mins from the city which in Melbourne terms can be very important. It is no accident that Neighbours is filmed out there as it did sort of represent the ideal? Melbournian community in the 80s.

What people are saying is they would rather live in Ramsay Street Australia, (say) than Bogan Boulevard, Australia.

There are lots of people on MTBUK who would trade their Bogan Boulevard McMansion home for that 3 bed semi and lovely central heating tomorrow if they could. That's the irony(!), or how important it is that everyone considers very closely where they want to live once they get here so renting is key.

I'd make sure people get the 4x2, not the McMansion. But the 2 can be very similar and it's easy to get burnt. That's why I say location is a factor.

cheers
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:47 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Ramsay Street is NOT legoland. Infact the joke is, it is very much absolutely established middle suburbs. Personally I think it is slightly sterile in that it is a bit American, but it is the epitomy of the established burb next to infrastructure etc not much more than 30mins from the city which in Melbourne terms can be very important. It is no accident that Neighbours is filmed out there as it did sort of represent the ideal? Melbournian community in the 80s.

What people are saying is they would rather live in Ramsay Street Australia, (say) than Bogan Boulevard, Australia.

There are lots of people on MTBUK who would trade their Bogan Boulevard McMansion home for that 3 bed semi and lovely central heating tomorrow if they could. That's the irony(!), or how important it is that everyone considers very closely where they want to live once they get here so renting is key.

I'd make sure people get the 4x2, not the McMansion. But the 2 can be very similar and it's easy to get burnt. That's why I say location is a factor.

cheers
Some of these terms are lost on me. Can you explain?

- CDM
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
Which terms?

Established - been around awhile. Obviously you can infer that all suburbs will be established at some point in the future but I reckon some will continue to suffer issues that others won't.

Bogan - sort of cultural demographic section of Melbourne, not necessarily restricted to any strict portion of group . Sort of low rent, scruffy, marginalised, ignorant, culturally insignificant yadda yadda. Brit equivalent would be a Chav, I suppose, but Chav is more specific to particular antisocial behaviour whereas a Bogan might be relatively harmless. A Bogan in a car is a Hoon...(!) which is pretty anti-social. You'll hear the media refer to Bogans in McMansions as ''Cashed-Up'' Bogans.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
Also:

Legoland: remember the pics on the first page of this thread, that's it

MTBUK: should actually be MBTTUK, Moving Back to the UK - another forum on this website

Middle suburbs: generally older housing 5 - 10km from the CBD
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
Also:
MTBUK: should actually be MBTTUK, Moving Back to the UK - another forum on this website
I'm dyslexic....
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
A large, brand new suburban house with a great deal of living space but virtually no land. Usually 4 bed 2 bath (sometimes with pool) on less than 500sqm.

In Australia, these monstrosities are frequently built in huge numbers with little more than 2 metres between them. All mod cons, but no character.

High density housing at its most crass and offensive.
example Iluka/WA
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1216010373
they are not telling block size (should be around 400sqm) or house size, would be intering to know. Some pics of the view, the 'yard' and indoors
Attached Thumbnails What is a McMansion?-mac1.jpg   What is a McMansion?-mac2.jpg   What is a McMansion?-mac3.jpg  

Last edited by Evelin; Jul 14th 2008 at 4:56 am.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
example Iluka/WA
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1216010373
they are not telling block size (should be around 400sqm) or house size, would be intering to know. Some pics of the view, the 'yard' and indoors
Nice house. wrong location.