Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a McMansion?

What is a McMansion?

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice
Default Re: What is a McMansion?

God i dont know where you all lived in the uk, but those houses look fantastic.
When you consider most of our population live in 2 up 2 down terraced houses with a tiny garden, those houses do infact look like Mansions!!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mydearboy1
God i dont know where you all lived in the uk, but those houses look fantastic.
When you consider most of our population live in 2 up 2 down terraced houses with a tiny garden, those houses do infact look like Mansions!!!!
Have to agree with you there! We have not been to Oz yet but are in the visa process for a 175 atm.

We saw a lot of these style houses in the USA and would love something like this. Would be a world apart from our poxy 1.5 bed terrace which costs equivilant of AUD$380,000!!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice

Exactly.....and for that you can by a 3/4 bed Mansion..in all areas i have been looking at in North Brisbane.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I keep seeing references to this. What does it mean?

- CDM
I believe the dictionary definition is:

McMansion, noun,

An over-sized property usually 50% bigger than necessary for the family within it, totally devoid of charm and character, and usually bought on a mortgage 10 times the owners' joint incomes. Heavily vulnerable to massive corrections in the market, typically with 35% coming off over less than two years, followed by a period of negative equity and eventually bankruptcy.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mydearboy1
Exactly.....and for that you can by a 3/4 bed Mansion..in all areas i have been looking at in North Brisbane.
Mansions in Brisbane for $380k? I think not.

I would love a new build home with all mod-cons, but only if it's in the right location. We deliberated for such a long time over it, but in the end decided we couldn't live out on a land estate with nothing around and where you had to drive to absolutely everything, regardless of how many media rooms and powder rooms (?) the house had.

In the end we went for an older established house about 10km out from the CBD but we could use public transport to get to work and walk to restaurants etc.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:38 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Well, that was certainly an emotive subject for many people wasn't it.

OK, so I now understand 'what' a MacMansion is, thanks to the many replies. Now, what about how much they cost? Let's suppose, just for argument's sake, that I'd lik to buy a [insert favourite term here] type house with, say, 5 bedrooms, a couple of bathrooms, 2-car garage and a couple of reception rooms (or better). What sort of price tag would such a property carry?

- CDM
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
Now, what about how much they cost?
40% more than they will in two years' time.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:45 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM

OK, so I now understand 'what' a MacMansion is, thanks to the many replies. Now, what about how much they cost? Let's suppose, just for argument's sake, that I'd lik to buy a [insert favourite term here] type house with, say, 5 bedrooms, a couple of bathrooms, 2-car garage and a couple of reception rooms (or better). What sort of price tag would such a property carry?

- CDM

Well, as mcmansions aren't usually on pricey land, I reckon the above would be a minimum of $500k and max... $800k.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:48 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
Have you considered looking up www.realestate.com.au ?

This might give you a realistic idea of what different types of houses in different areas will be likely to cost you.

Hope this is of some help.

M
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
Mansions in Brisbane for $380k? I think not.

I would love a new build home with all mod-cons, but only if it's in the right location. We deliberated for such a long time over it, but in the end decided we couldn't live out on a land estate with nothing around and where you had to drive to absolutely everything, regardless of how many media rooms and powder rooms (?) the house had.

In the end we went for an older established house about 10km out from the CBD but we could use public transport to get to work and walk to restaurants etc.

Well i have found hundreds of (what i would call mansions ) under that price, i do not mean cbt but anything up 20 odd ks out. I am in talks with a few developers and estate agents and have found large 3 bedrromed homes for under $350000 one of the areas i have looked at is north lakes and other similar developments.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
You still want one
I think you're looking at SE Melbourne. Check out www.realestate.com.au and put in Aspendale Gardens, Patterson Lakes - if you don't mind being further out, you'd definitely get more for your money in Cranbourne.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:52 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Have you considered looking up www.realestate.com.au ?

This might give you a realistic idea of what different types of houses in different areas will be likely to cost you.

Hope this is of some help.

M
? why bother doing that, when its much quicker to get the latest pricing info from your friendly armchair realestate agents on british expats?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:26 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think its snobbery at all. My house is a total 70's retro red brick delight, BUT i have space around me. NOT for a lawn, plants or anything particular, (though obviously there is some of that) but just because I like space. My cousin has just bought a M.M and she can literally hear her neigbour sneeze in the bathroom and she can reach over the fence and clean out their gutters. But hey! She has a mulitmedia room

New Mc mansion estates have no space and no green and pretty much no infrastructure. They usually have a fence all the way around them and a kind of gateway to make the look posh Not enough parking and a feeling of being hemmed in. But then again I suppose if your house is 40 squares of living you have got plenty of room inside...They are often built on waste land that is under electric pylons, prone to flooding in wetter years or just dull places...

HOWEVER you can get Mcmansions in older burbs to, but they don't seem as bad as the block sizes tend to be bigger.

My total pet hate is the roof that sits on top of a house with no eves or overhang, it looks shocking and would be as hot as all hell in the summer!

Nice view!

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/..._470x355,0.jpg

Last edited by hevs; Jul 3rd 2008 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
I'm guessing those are really new houses with all that solar stuff.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 3:50 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I can't help but notice that you didn't answer the question
I never answerd the question because i have never heard of a Mcmansion!! but i wish i could afford one!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.