Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a McMansion?

What is a McMansion?

Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:23 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: What is a McMansion?

Originally Posted by talbot
And no ROOMS - just vast living space!
I can see ceratinly the attraction of that - especially with kids.

- CDM
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:09 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talbot
And no ROOMS - just vast living space!
That is the part about some of these newer homes that I dislike the most. You can't shut anything off. If the kids are watching TV you have no peace to sit and read. If the washing machine is on then the noise seems to carry through the whole house. If its cold (which is it just now) then open plan spaces take a LOT of heating.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:44 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
That is the part about some of these newer homes that I dislike the most. You can't shut anything off. If the kids are watching TV you have no peace to sit and read. If the washing machine is on then the noise seems to carry through the whole house. If its cold (which is it just now) then open plan spaces take a LOT of heating.
All those are really valid points and something we really had to consider when we bought as we really wanted open plan, but we also needed "quiet" zones etc. We opted for a house with a door to the laundry and TV rooms and where the study is at the front of the house and the TV room and kitchen are at the back so the noise issue isn't really a problem.

I love loads going on in the open plan areas of the house, it just feels "alive". I love to be cooking meals and still be with the kids or chatting to guests and then we can retire to a quieter spot later on. works well for us.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:48 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
All those are really valid points and something we really had to consider when we bought as we really wanted open plan, but we also needed "quiet" zones etc. We opted for a house with a door to the laundry and TV rooms and where the study is at the front of the house and the TV room and kitchen are at the back so the noise issue isn't really a problem.

I love loads going on in the open plan areas of the house, it just feels "alive". I love to be cooking meals and still be with the kids or chatting to guests and then we can retire to a quieter spot later on. works well for us.
Our house is similar. I have a family/eating/kitchen at the back of the house where we spend the majority of our time. I also like the idea of everything being in one room so I can see/hear the kids. A door separates the formal living/dining at the front of the house so I can go in there to read/talk on the phone etc if the kids or husband are watching TV out the back. I also have a door on the laundry, it would drive me crackers otherwise.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the dooners
Here's my Mcmansion and I'm happy with it
pictures of it under construction and just about finished

the dooners
Nice house. I don't think it can be referred to as a McMansion though. I would call your house a typical, new built, 4x2.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:18 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Could anyone put up one of these for me in Kwinana?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Nice house. I don't think it can be referred to as a McMansion though. I would call your house a typical, new built, 4x2.
But WHERE is it though.....
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mydearboy1
God i dont know where you all lived in the uk, but those houses look fantastic.
When you consider most of our population live in 2 up 2 down terraced houses with a tiny garden, those houses do infact look like Mansions!!!!
Totally agree with you, I know where i would rather live

John
Attached Thumbnails What is a McMansion?-rows-0f-terraced-houses.jpg   What is a McMansion?-somerly1.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:39 am
Banned

tassietiger will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Totally agree with you, I know where i would rather live

John
So given a choice between Coronation street, Slumville, UK and Ramsay street, Legoland OZ, you prefer Legoland.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tassietiger
So given a choice between Coronation street, Slumville, UK and Ramsay street, Legoland OZ, you prefer Legoland.
Yes you got it in one !

Last edited by nickyjohnt; Jul 8th 2008 at 1:21 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:24 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tassietiger
I certainly would.

There are a lot of people here that seemingly are turning up their noses at these types of picture-perfect, new-build developments. Perhaps if you live there and see it as the norm, you can become a bit jaded - 'trapped in paradise'.

I can understand that to a degree. We used to live in Florida in such a neighborhood and it was only after coming back to the UK that I finally reaslised exactly what we had and what we'd given up.

I yearn for a larger place to live in with lots of open spaces, spacious rooms and set in a tidy neghborhood with clean lines and an order about it.

I for one am looking forward to having the 'opportunity' to live in a McMansion - or whatever else anyone choses to call it.

- CDM
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:45 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I certainly would.

There are a lot of people here that seemingly are turning up their noses at these types of picture-perfect, new-build developments. Perhaps if you live there and see it as the norm, you can become a bit jaded - 'trapped in paradise'.

I can understand that to a degree. We used to live in Florida in such a neighborhood and it was only after coming back to the UK that I finally reaslised exactly what we had and what we'd given up.

I yearn for a larger place to live in with lots of open spaces, spacious rooms and set in a tidy neghborhood with clean lines and an order about it.

I for one am looking forward to having the 'opportunity' to live in a McMansion - or whatever else anyone choses to call it.

- CDM
Hi CDM - don't worry about what other people think of your house (or your lifestyle for that matter). Just worry about what you think of it.

cheers !
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Do you know what I miss???
I miss INDIVIDUAL ROOMS other than bedrooms of course..
I miss closing the door from the dining room to the lounge. Here it's all connected and it looked nice in the picture, but not in practicality.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

the dooners is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Thanks
Is that good . That it's not a McMansion
Anyway I like it for now so I'm quite happy

the dooners
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

the dooners is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But WHERE is it though.....

Hi
its in Perth NOR

the dooners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.