British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What are malaysian airlines like for flying to Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-malaysian-airlines-like-flying-oz-305669/)

tazziecat May 28th 2005 6:15 pm

What are malaysian airlines like for flying to Oz

Hi Everyone,

We have just booked flights to travel to Sydney in September from London, with Malaysian Airlines. It was the best deal we could get for a family of 4 traveling, and have pre-booked kids meals, but could not pre-book our seats.
We will have a stop of 3 hours in Kuala Lumpar. Has anyone any advice for us on our route or the airline, in quality of service or silly things we should know. Also what is the earliest we can check-in.
Thanks,Tazziecat

The Bread Knife May 28th 2005 6:28 pm

Re: What are malaysian airlines like for flying to Oz

Originally Posted by tazziecat
Hi Everyone,

We have just booked flights to travel to Sydney in September from London, with Malaysian Airlines. It was the best deal we could get for a family of 4 traveling, and have pre-booked kids meals, but could not pre-book our seats.
We will have a stop of 3 hours in Kuala Lumpar. Has anyone any advice for us on our route or the airline, in quality of service or silly things we should know. Also what is the earliest we can check-in.
Thanks,Tazziecat

Malaysian Airlines are fine. Friendly staff, nice planes, entertainment system was ok. Food was quite nice also.
Have a good trip.

The Bread Knife :)

fraser May 28th 2005 6:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,Tazziecat

Maybe you should have asked before you booked :eek:

Luckily for you they are excellant :D

Pants May 28th 2005 6:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,Tazziecat

Hi

I flew back from Oz with MA and they were fantastic. I have flown with Singapore airlines three times but I have to say I think MA were better. I flew back with my 21/2yr old on my own and they really catered for our needs. I got a spare seat next to me on both legs of the journey so that my daughter could stretch out and sleep. They only did this once they saw I was on my own. Very helpful staff. Take lots of snacks for the kids. Airlines really don't stock up on kids snacks. I have found that with both the mentioned airlines.

Good luck and have fun..

P

tazziecat May 28th 2005 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
Maybe you should have asked before you booked :eek:

Luckily for you they are excellant :D

Maybe I should have just went with FLYCHELSEA! CHAMPIONS!!!

Grayling May 28th 2005 7:42 pm

Malaysian are fine. Similar to Singapore (who, for some strange reason everybody raves about :rolleyes: ) but with a lot more legroom and less problems.

Enjoy

G

Siren & Brian May 28th 2005 8:43 pm

They should get you here.

JohnAndNetta May 29th 2005 9:35 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,Tazziecat

We have flown to Oz with BA/Qantas, Emirates, Malaysian, and Singapore.

We had a 3 hour delay at K.Lumpar on top of a 2 hour wait, and boy are we glad we paid the extra for the exec lounge. Its about £10 per head and for that you get free food, beer, soft drinks, free internet access, showers, massage chairs, comfy lounge chairs, TV. Otherwise, there's not much to do at KL airport. Nothing like Singapore (Changi airport).

The airline itself, we had some very nice staff, but also some miserable ones too. My in-seat entertainment system wasn't working on the way out, and my husbands wasn't working on the way back. We had no-where else to move to, because all journeys were full.

Was very surprised at the wine glass size! Both myself and my husband enjoy a couple of small bottled red wines with our meal, because it helps us sleep. But to have the equivalent of two small bottles, we would have had to call the stewardess back at least 4 or 5 times. They are quite stingy with wine, but very generous with beer! Enjoyed the ice-creams. If you need eye-covers or ear-plugs take them yourself.

Although I would fly with Malaysian again, my first choice (without a shadow of a doubt) would be Emirates. I find Singapore and Malaysian quite similar. I think if the flights are very full you get downgraded service, but if the flights are half empty you get very good attention.

It can be unfortunate if the individual entertainment systems aren't working, but we've had problems lots of times with these and if you're on a full flight, you're basically stuffed.

We pre-booked our seats on all legs of Malaysian flight (about 6 weeks in advance), and although I was told they weren't guaranteed, we were told they would do their best. We didn't ask for any special seats (like exits), just two together. We were the first people to arrive at check-in and were told we couldn't have two seats together on an aisle. We went ballistic! They gave us two seats next to two adults who were holding two children. It could have been horrendous, but luckily the children were really well behaved.

For the next leg to Brisbane they managed to get us two exit seats. So I suppose they were trying to make up for the first leg.

You can have a really good experience with Malaysian, or a very average one (like ours), but I've had a lot worse, so it wouldn't put me off flying with them again!

I hope you are the lucky ones that have a great flight with Malaysian - seems like a very high percentage do!

LancashireLass May 29th 2005 9:44 am

I flew with Malaysia to the UK and back in Feb and the service was great both ways. I would pay for the lounge next time I fly with them as KL airport does not have anything to do there.

One tip I discovered was when you board ask the cabin staff if there are any spare seats on board. I did this on the Manchester to KL leg and ended up with a row of 4 seats to myself. The staff moved those with special needs first then came back down the aisle said anyone who wanted move there were spare seats at the back. Not many people actually got up to move which is why I got a full row.

Food is also pretty good and they will bring you drinks as often as you like.

sharon_gareth May 29th 2005 10:51 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,Tazziecat

We have flown with Malaysian twice now and had no problems. We made a trip back to the UK in March/April 2005 and they had upgraded the entertainment system on the return flight. This was fantastic, instead of watching a film with a fixed start time you could start it when you wanted (bit like having your own DVD player) it meant the film I missed the last 20 mins of on the Heathrow - KL leg I could watch while going from KL to Perth. It made in flight fims so much better.

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com

bondipom May 29th 2005 10:53 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,Tazziecat

I flew with them in March. The KL Sydney was delayed a few hours which was frustrating but other than that I slept more on Malaysian than any other Sydney London trip. There was more legroom than other airlines which helps when you are 6 foot tall. Service was satisfactory and it was an unnotable trip.

DianeOZ May 30th 2005 6:42 am

I have flown with them once with 2 kids & hubbie in tow. They were good and even offered to upgrade me and my screaming toddler so I could get some rest in a comfy seat but I didn't have the heart to kick someone out of their seat for me and my monster. I didn't like the food much but everyones tastes are different. I flew with Singapre the next time and they were excellent but maybe that we were on our final voyage here made it that bit better!

Diane

Off2Oz May 31st 2005 5:54 pm

We flew with Malaysia in April. Two adults, two kids.

We were actually able to pre-book seats and kids meals.

Absolutely fantastic airline. Always brining the drinks round - always asking if you're ok and if you need anything. The flight attendants seemed to be quite taken with the kids - which always helps!!!

Hope this is helpful.

zx10r_aus May 31st 2005 7:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,Tazziecat

Flew with Malaysian last October, no problems with the airline. Although I had a hard time finding a can of coke at KL airport.
Jim