Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What makes a person more suitable for emmigrating?

What makes a person more suitable for emmigrating?

Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default What makes a person more suitable for emmigrating?

Since joining this group, and indeed meeting new people and getting lotsof views and opinions on emmigrating, it got me thinking about personality types. This in turn made me think of what i consider are the right attributes a person needs to be successful and happy after emmigrating.

Please remember its only my opinion. Hope i dont offend anyone!

1. Willingness to accept change fairly easily, including you and those around you

2. A flexible nature

3. Tolerance of others which encompasses a "doing things their way" attitude at times.

4. An ability to accept others as they are, and not expect people to fit in line with your morals and principles.

5. I think this is one of the most important things....AN OPEN MIND

Anyone got other ideas?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:39 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I think those are reasons why that type of person has a happy life, PP, in general.

Blimey - you have found the recipe for happines - patent it quick!

Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Yes.... sighhhhhhh...

shame about the big arse
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes a person more suitable for emmigrating?

Originally posted by podgypossum
Since joining this group, and indeed meeting new people and getting lotsof views and opinions on emmigrating, it got me thinking about personality types. This in turn made me think of what i consider are the right attributes a person needs to be successful and happy after emmigrating.

1. Willingness to accept change fairly easily, including you and those around you

2. A flexible nature

3. Tolerance of others which encompasses a "doing things their way" attitude at times.

4. An ability to accept others as they are, and not expect people to fit in line with your morals and principles.

Anyone got other ideas?
PP, I suppose you are really thinking of personality, character or whatever but here's a few others you might need to be suitable for emigrating:

Sufficient funds (not a personal trait but a necessity)!

Age must be a factor - it is easier to migrate when you are younger, fewer ties, parents and relatives not old etc.

Relatives/friends/contacts where you are going.

A decent knowledge of where you are going (to reduce the likelihood of getting there and finding that it isn't what you expected - it happens even with the best research but not as much as 'going blind').

There's a few to kick the thread off, I'll 'pass the baton' to someone else to continue.

OzTennis
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, sounds about right to me PP!

I think, that if you have a tendency to 'whinge' about your home country, you'll be doing it everywhere.
Of course this is generalising it, but still.
Even if, for example, the traffic is less in Perth, after a while you'll be used to it, and will start complaining about the rushhour....

I believe people should migrate because that country pulls them, instead of that their home country is pushing them out.
If you know what I mean.....
Kiwified member

I point you to the first bit of number 4 - if you can do it for others, you HAVE to do it for yourself.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
Sufficient funds (not a personal trait but a necessity)!

Age must be a factor - it is easier to migrate when you are younger, fewer ties, parents and relatives not old etc.

Relatives/friends/contacts where you are going.

A decent knowledge of where you are going (to reduce the likelihood of getting there and finding that it isn't what you expected - it happens even with the best research but not as much as 'going blind').
Agreed!!
And also having no friends where you are now, makes it easier!
And having less family, or less bond with family.

Ahhh, it's all so logical, but still!! Good thread!
Though I don't have time for this!! :scared:
I was nearly going to shut my browser, and then this thread starts
Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:50 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

A aptitude for filling in forms, the ability to pack well, a penchant for long-haul travel and a knowledge of how to tackle stress.

Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum

2. A flexible nature

Another major factor is patience.........vital whilst waiting for your visa..........

Anyone got other ideas?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:28 pm
Kiwified member

Not a too strong dependence/attachment on family?

Love of airline food
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

A lot of self-confidence and self-belief.

Not afraid of failure.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:32 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollster

Love of airline food
...mini-toothbrushes, socks with no heels, sick bags and uncomfortable seats. And losing your luggage if you fly Emirates.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

We have to bring in 'A new life down under' here:

Not willing to volunteer for a reality TV series on your experiences - it's difficult enough without the cameras following you.

And Bundy you had to bring in the saga of 'bundy's undies' again

OzTennis
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:44 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by OzTennis
We have to bring in 'A new life down under' here:

Not willing to volunteer for a reality TV series on your experiences - it's difficult enough without the cameras following you.

And Bundy you had to bring in the saga of 'bundy's undies' again

OzTennis
Because I'm still annoyed about that particular incident!!!! Emirates didn't seem to care.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by bundy
Because I'm still annoyed about that particular incident!!!! Emirates didn't seem to care.
Oops, sorry, touchy subject if you'll pardon the pun. We've been lucky - about 6 visits with Emirates to Oz without incident (says he scratching head, touch wood as we're going again in June).

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.