Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Makes Britain 'Great'?

What Makes Britain 'Great'?

Old May 15th 2005, 7:54 pm
Professional Princess

Thumbs up What Makes Britain 'Great'?

Going through the whole migration process I have found, you go through loads of different stages.

Mine started off as 'I cannot wait to leave the UK', to being frantic about 'making it to Oz', money worries, right down to the sheer panick of the thought of being refused.

They all boiled back down to a strong dislike of the UK.

Then reading the comments on this sight of 'rose tinted specs syndrome', I wondered if there was a right or wrong way to be feeling in this stressful process.

As some of you know, in the past 2 months I have had a fair bit happen to me.

I have nearly lost my mum, I have been the victim of identity fraud and my money stolen, I have had my phone line tapped into and calls made.

Tempted to blame it on 'the damn UK', I thought to myself that crap happens and it can stick anywhere. Distance no object, bad luck is knows no prejudice.

So with the trauma of mum being ill, I slowly began to re-think my views on the UK, whilst still keeping my dream firmly within my sights.

The other week I was at Lambeth embankment on business and as I glanced up I spotted the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. Lots of boats sailed slowly down the Thames.

I had seen it a hundred times if not more, but this time I really saw it.

Staring round at all the old buildings, the history, the sun shining, the tacky souvenir shops at the bridge, I grabbed my mobile phone and called the one person I pour my feelings to - my Mum.

'Mum, Im looking at Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, I have never noticed how beautiful London is!' I said to her in an excited voice.

'Thats taken you long enough' Mum replied.

Taking a last glance at the huge clock that sees in every new year for the UK, I wished I had brought my camera.

Totally fascinated with my new found love of this sometimes very hostile Capital, I got the bus to Waterloo station.

Passing the London Eye, I marvelled at the huge thing going round slowly, the people waiting their turn, some with Union Jacks, some with families, but all of them wanting their own perfect view of London.

Now last week I watched the VE day celebrations on TV, I really wish that I had gone to see it live in London instead of watching it on TV.

Seeing those proud war vets choking with emotion, standing there to every song sang by todays stars (except Cliff Richard as I dislike him as much as Celine Dion), their war medals hanging on their jackets.

The crowd waving their Union Jacks, I still cannot believe I watched this as its something I wouldnt normally see.

When Dame Vera came on the stage and those old soldiers fought back the tears and stood up as she greeted them, something quite suddenly hit me.

I no longer dislike the UK. I am ready to emigrate to Australia as that is my ambition, my vision and where I see my future.

I have discovered that I love London, warts and all. I love our Jubilee, although i am not a Royalist, I cannot wait for the next Coronation.

Our history is so incredible, I cant believe we are contributing to it in our own small way.

Its a comforting thought to think that instead of leaving a country I dislike, Im leaving the country I love, to move to a country I must learn about.

So the day I get my visa, will be the second proudest day of my life.

The first was when I discovered that Britain really is Great.

Old May 15th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What Makes Britain 'Great'?

You are So right, I had a lump in my throat reading your message.

Today the weather here was beautiful, we sat this morning watching our sons play cricket (a game invented by the English ) Then we all had a barbie (getting in practice for our new life!!), hot air balloons were floating overhead, the birds were chirping away and it was warm, sunny and just perfect.

I suddenly had a pang of guilt for wanting to leave this lovely place where we live But you are right, it is comforting to think that we are not leaving a country we dislike but one which we love and respect for treating us very kindly from our birth until (hopefully) the day we leave it shores for adventures new.

Hugs
Karen x
Old May 15th 2005, 8:29 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
You are So right, I had a lump in my throat reading your message.

Today the weather here was beautiful, we sat this morning watching our sons play cricket (a game invented by the English ) Then we all had a barbie (getting in practice for our new life!!), <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=hot%20air%20balloons" onmouseover="window.status='hot air balloons'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">hot air balloons</a> were floating overhead, the birds were chirping away and it was warm, sunny and just perfect.

I suddenly had a pang of guilt for wanting to leave this lovely place where we live But you are right, it is comforting to think that we are not leaving a country we dislike but one which we love and respect for treating us very kindly from our birth until (hopefully) the day we leave it shores for adventures new.

Hugs
Karen x
Its a learning curve I suppose. But I am much more chilled out now.

The TRA wont get me down anymore because to be honest, I have other things to worry about.

Thats not to say Im not motivated, its just where I allocate my 'worries' to, the TRA wont be one of them.

I shall work my tits off, do my best to get that application accepted (Alan, you know well how determined I am) and in the meantime, I am sure going to appreciate what I have now.

Sent you some karma Karen.

Old May 15th 2005, 8:32 pm
Merlot

Nice post PP

It all boils down to making the most of what you have now and appreciating it. We are all guilty of travelling at 100 miles an hour though life without truly experiencing it.

Took me living 12,000 miles away from my family to realise how much I loved them and them me. Made me realise my own personal priorities.

M

Old May 15th 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Hi PP,

What a lovely post.

It's sad that it sometimes takes something awful to happen to you or a loved one to make you re-evaluate your life. We often pass things by and take them for granted until it's too late.

It's good that you have recognised that it's not such a bad place. This means you are going towards a new life for positive reasons not because you are running away from something negative.

By the sound of your post your mum is getting better now. For this I am glad for the both of you.
Good luck with everything.
Tracey.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:42 pm
Professional Princess

Im glad I realised now anyway. Because then I know what Im leaving behind.

Im very excited actually because we were planning our holiday and I was going to book to go to Australia for the 3rd time.

Something told me not to because I think when you're in the early stages of migrating, going to Oz can put your head in the clouds.

So its off to Phuket to try and do some journalism on the wildlife etc.

I cannot wait to meet the local people and see a different culture.

So holiday jabs aside (had 2nd rabies yesterday), Im looking forward to it.

A bit scared of being so far away from Mum, but life's like that isnt it?

Old May 15th 2005, 8:44 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by TheColebecks

Today the weather here was beautiful, we sat this morning watching our sons play cricket (a game invented by the English )
Hugs
Karen x
Bad luck then the English don't know how to play it.

Last edited by wombat42; May 15th 2005 at 8:47 pm.

Old May 15th 2005, 8:47 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by wombat42
I reckon Karen's son's would do better than the England cricket team

Old May 15th 2005, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Im glad I realised now anyway. Because then I know what Im leaving behind.

Im very excited actually because we were planning our holiday and I was going to book to go to Australia for the 3rd time.

Something told me not to because I think when you're in the early stages of migrating, going to Oz can put your head in the clouds.

So its off to Phuket to try and do some journalism on the wildlife etc.

I cannot wait to meet the local people and see a different culture.

So holiday jabs aside (had 2nd rabies yesterday), Im looking forward to it.

A bit scared of being so far away from Mum, but life's like that isnt it?
Hi,
Have a great holiday.

Is your mum ok now then?

Will send you some karma tomorrow when my store is replenished
Tracey
Old May 15th 2005, 8:49 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by wombat42

PMSL

Everyone should have a wombat.

Old May 15th 2005, 8:54 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit being from London I've always been proud of my city, it is rather impressive.

I'll probably get all nostalgic over it once I leave, but I already get nostalgic over my new city so maybe I'm just fickle
Old May 15th 2005, 8:57 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by fraser
I must admit being from London I've always been proud of my city, it is rather impressive.

I'll probably get all nostalgic over it once I leave, but I already get nostalgic over my new city so maybe I'm just fickle

There is always enough nostalgia to go around fraser

I dont want to go to work tomorrow.

Someone help me.

Old May 15th 2005, 9:02 pm
Merlot

I dont want to go to work tomorrow.

Someone help me.
Neither do I, shall we skive together.

M

Old May 15th 2005, 9:06 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Fab thread, very moving, hope your mum is ok now. I have always said to people who question why were going to the other end of the earth that we never chose to live in Britain or Yorkshire for that matter. However we have loved it warts and all and will continue to do so and we intend to treat Australia the same (love it warts and all that is) we just need to experience the adventure. Mel
Old May 15th 2005, 9:14 pm
wombat42

PMSL

Everyone should have a wombat.
Yes cute pets.
( click picture to enlarge)
Attached Thumbnails What Makes Britain 'Great'?-0-1658-431388-00.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.