Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What made you "snap" and decide to emigrate

Wikiposts

What made you "snap" and decide to emigrate

Old Nov 13th 2003, 2:21 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Ceri
Aus is diverse in it's type of people who reside here. Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Iraqi's etc, etc.. if some of you are looking for a country that has no "black" immigrants perhaps you should step into a time machine and go back into nazi Germany.

I also would like to remind some of you that you as in Brit's (or what ever nationality you are supposed to be) will be the immigrants in Australia.. perhaps you wouldn't mind asking the Aborigines of Australia do they mind such white people in their country. Funny why some of you list all the immigrants in the UK as one of the reasons why you want to emigrate, when you yourself will be an immigrant in Australia.. or does that not count because you consider your British selves to be something special? You see nothing wrong with yourselves going to other countries to live, but you moan when foreigners who go to "your" Britain to live.. the word hypocrite springs to mind with some of these posts about" immigrants in Britain" Cheers.

cheers
My God, you just don't get it do you Ceri. I've yet to come across anyone on this forum who is truly against immigrants per se. If they were it would certainly be an own goal, considering most here are would-be immos themselves.

Every time someone has a moan about immigrants into this country it's because of the so-called refugees that come over here with their hands up in the air shouting "House! Healthcare! Food! Clothes! Car! Mobile Phone! etc etc." Most of these 'refugees' are opportunistic scroungers.

I respect an obligation to help genuine asylum seekers up to the capacity of our limits. I also applaud those industrious individuals that have managed to forge out their own prosperity within this country and contribute to our cultural diversity. Many of the Indians here are a fine example of this.

The people of this forum (above all people I should think), appreciate what it means to show themselves to be potential productive members of another country before actually entering that country....something which many coming to the UK certainly do not do.

Your words are a disgrace. I don't know if you are British, but if you are you insult your own countrymen.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 2:26 am
Badge

I have a mate in Australia who welcomes immigrants whole-heartedly and said as much at a party. He looked at me and said "they're all welcome as long as they CONTRIBUTE [his emphasis] People like Badge".

This is what Chippy is getting at.

Badge

Old Nov 13th 2003, 2:45 am
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point

We had actually thought about it since we had visited Oz on on our honeymoon in 1999. We didn't do anything about it as we had our first child in 2001 which took our mind off of it for a while.

I then lost my mum to cancer in Feb 2002 and she was only aged 49. This made me really sit up and realise that life is too short and to spend my whole life in one place is mad. We also wathced an episode of a 'Place in the Sun' which featured Oz and this just gave us the kick we needed.

I don't particularly think that England is that much different to OZ other than the population etc and we realise that Oz is not all a bed of roses, but if we don't give it a go we will regret it for the rest of our lives. I am proud that we have actually made the effort to emigrate as there are so many people I know that have said they want to but don't do anything about it.

TOB

Still waiting!

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
I hope not to get into the whats crap/good about UK etc etc, was interested how others stopped thinking about it and started doing/did it

Did you slowly come around to thinking of emigrating or was it after thinking about it for a while something happened to set the ball rolling in actually making it reality?
Old Nov 13th 2003, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by badgersmount
yes, please tell us, Dotty, please tell us!!!!

Badge

Gawd I thought everyone knew that by now We had been travelling for years, totally broke ( $800 left) and then boyfriend was Australian. We had to go somewhere to knuckle down and do a bit of work. I'd never seen OZ, so it was work and chuck in a new country at the same time.

Then I arrived, found myself in a 70's time warp of frizzy hair and bali prints, too broke to escape I decided to work hard and ended up running me own company, as Ive said many times its a good place if you really are prepared to work very hard for yourself and not expect anyone else to owe you anything.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Dotty any photo's of the 70's days

Well, this may sound bizarre but I have always known from being young that I was not meant to live over here, I have never been settled ever and when I say young I mean I used to say to my dad one day I will leave this country.

You can be cyinical, but I know, hubby and I sat down one night back in 2001 and said that we could do more in life and after we got married we would look into emmigrating, then my best friend went over.

and here we are with just 12 and a bit weeks left, but we where lucky to some, but stressful for us, rushed through the visa situation getting it in just 12 weeks rather than 50. It has put us under immense pressure, but here we are and it is well worth it.

xx
Old Nov 13th 2003, 10:41 am
agwa

Irish Guiness - Yes, I have lived in Brixton.

Tooanfrom - You're arguing your right to be racist to others because the Nazis didn't like your bloodline. Are you uspset they didn't let you wear the uniform?

Good to hear the natives are friendly in NZ though. So they haven't got any fears and offer you the same standard of living and respect. And you still generalise about blacks. You would of thought you'd grow with experience.

By the way, I'm not in the UK.

Old Nov 13th 2003, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

The people of this forum (above all people I should think), appreciate what it means to show themselves to be potential productive members of another country before actually entering that country....something which many coming to the UK certainly do not do.

Well said!

Rob
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to express an opinion, just post a link -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3265219.stm

Obviously the Uk has no intention of adopting Australian ideas on immigration.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:41 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by chippy
My God, you just don't get it do you Ceri. I've yet to come across anyone on this forum who is truly against immigrants per se. If they were it would certainly be an own goal, considering most here are would-be immos themselves.

Every time someone has a moan about immigrants into this country it's because of the so-called refugees that come over here with their hands up in the air shouting "House! Healthcare! Food! Clothes! Car! Mobile Phone! etc etc." Most of these 'refugees' are opportunistic scroungers.

I respect an obligation to help genuine asylum seekers up to the capacity of our limits. I also applaud those industrious individuals that have managed to forge out their own prosperity within this country and contribute to our cultural diversity. Many of the Indians here are a fine example of this.

Your words are a disgrace. I don't know if you are British, but if you are you insult your own countrymen.

mmm I do hope you are not going to get yourself a medicare card when you step off the plane, or take the child support, or apply for a first time home grant, I'd hate to see my taxes supporting a newly arrived immigrant who hasn't contributed to the coffers yet. .. shouting medicare, grant, family allowance. . .

I'm sorry but I do not think you get it.

As for your comment about "I do not know if your British" .. lol. That really takes the biscuit. I suggest you learn about your own British history.. Get to grips with your British people before you even attempt to analyse foreign immigrants..

I wonder if you have talked to any of these refugees. Or do you buy into the media and pollies scare mongering as most white middle class people do.

Perhaps you also would like to take your own advice and tell your people who do not contribute to my country to get out, taking homes, taking dole and using the health care.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Please ask your people who do not contribute to stick to their own rose backyard please.

You don’t have the god given right to go and live in another country and then moan about the immigrants in Britain. This is double standards.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Ceri and Chippy,

Am I reading different posts from you two? You seem to be on the same wavelength but argue hell for leather as though you were on completely opposite sides.

What gives?

Last edited by sofistek; Nov 13th 2003 at 9:27 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:25 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Ceri
mmm I do hope you are not going to get yourself a medicare card when you step off the plane, or take the child support, or apply for a first time home grant, I'd hate to see my taxes supporting a newly arrived immigrant who hasn't contributed to the coffers yet. .. shouting medicare, grant, family allowance. . .

I'm sorry but I do not think you get it.

As for your comment about "I do not know if your British" .. lol. That really takes the biscuit. I suggest you learn about your own British history.. Get to grips with your British people before you even attempt to analyse foreign immigrants..

I wonder if you have talked to any of these refugees. Or do you buy into the media and pollies scare mongering as most white middle class people do.

Perhaps you also would like to take your own advice and tell your people who do not contribute to my country to get out, taking homes, taking dole and using the health care.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Please ask your people who do not contribute to stick to their own rose backyard please.

You don’t have the god given right to go and live in another country and then moan about the immigrants in Britain. This is double standards.

Ermm....Yes. I agree with most of what you've said here, but only because it substantiates my original post. I am vehemently against any form of sponging off the state. You work hard, you pay your taxes, you don't expect them to be squandered on handouts to spongers. Absolutely.

When I get there I will be expecting no handouts whatsoever. But then I'm not sure I could if I wanted to, that's the whole point of the two year rule isn't it? No such thing here in the UK. If the healthcare in Aus is as crap as many of you say it is I will probably take out health insurance as I have here. No, I will keep my own house in order (me, wife, 4 kids); I just think others should do the same. And the bogus asylum seekers certainly don't.

Why the hell do I need a history lesson? I don't care what happened a hundred years ago...I wasn't there. I live down the road from Dover, so I've got them living on my doorstep right now. And yes, I have talked to 'them', as a matter of fact I worked with a few Lithuanians...they were top blokes, good chippies as well. But they were here legally and they paid their taxes. No problem!

As for 'God given right'....Your raving!!....Have you any idea of the time and effort, anguish, heartache, not to mention money, some of those on here have put in. I was lucky, my visa went through in about 3-4 months...some of these poor buggers have had two years.

The problem with people like you is that you can't translate theory into real world living (esp. re: refugees etc.). You should become a politician.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by agwa
Irish Guiness - Yes, I have lived in Brixton.

Tooanfrom - You're arguing your right to be racist to others because the Nazis didn't like your bloodline. Are you uspset they didn't let you wear the uniform?

Good to hear the natives are friendly in NZ though. So they haven't got any fears and offer you the same standard of living and respect. And you still generalise about blacks. You would of thought you'd grow with experience.

By the way, I'm not in the UK.
Agwa
your not in the u.k.Oh what a shame!!! I bet you wont be missed in Brixton
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Williem is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't snap exactly, just got a lucky break.
I did the working visa back in 1992/93, came home ( against my will ), met what turned out to be my wife alomst immediately, persuaded her to go for a holiday in the hope she would get the same feel for the place as i have, in 1997, but she couldn't leave her family behind.
Then, after almost giving up hope of ever going back on a permanent basis, we got a call out of the blue from her mother asking if we would consider moving to the gold coast as she would like to retire there after watching a programme on TV.
The rest is history.
We leave for Brisbane on February 21, and I seem to have lost my wife to this site, as all she seems to do is attach herself to the computer moving from forum to forum.
When we do arrive in Brisbane do you think somebody could organise lots of get togethers, as i feel it might benfit my wifes health to get out a bit more.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 1:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Willem, If you and/or your wife keep an eye on the forum, we are hoping to have a meet in Brissie in February/March as there are a lot of people coming this way early next year! Once she's here, I'm sure she'll find lots of excuses to get out more .... its easier here cos the weather is better!! Keep posting (or get your wife to keep posting!) and give the forum a yell when you get here - we'll soon have some people for you to meet up with!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:15 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
Willem, If you and/or your wife keep an eye on the forum, we are hoping to have a meet in Brissie in February/March as there are a lot of people coming this way early next year! Once she's here, I'm sure she'll find lots of excuses to get out more .... its easier here cos the weather is better!! Keep posting (or get your wife to keep posting!) and give the forum a yell when you get here - we'll soon have some people for you to meet up with!
Hello Pollyanna,
I am the abovementioned wife and am really not quite as sad as he makes out, but am finding the site really helpful!
We'll definately be up for a meeting in feb/march if it goes ahead and are looking forward to hearing how the december one goes.
In the meantime if hubby moans about me going out with my friends this weekend I'll direct him to the above post!

Michaela

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.