Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What made you "snap" and decide to emigrate

What made you "snap" and decide to emigrate

Old Nov 13th 2003, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Herman

I have been amazed by how many people who have never set foot in Australia challenge me on our decision to return - I can't believe the level of ignorance in this country about the realities of life in Oz.

When I read that, I realised it sums up the majority of points I have ever made on this forum. Is it the incredible distance, the cost making it unaccessable for many, what is it that leads people to believe such a mythical land exists?

How many debates have raged on this forum, with the positive for OZ being argued by some hallowed ground loyalist who has never set foot here?? It really is the most amazing thing.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 3:03 am
agwa

Default Some good stories there

Mine is that I just fancied giving it a go with My Australian girl.

Why not, only live once (which I regretfully found out last year). Try as much as possible whilst you're here.

Oh and Tooanfrom and Irish Guinness. I'm sure you won't be missed, it's just a shame that you had to take the attitude to others.

Kind of ironic that you are an immigrant too. Do you tell your Enoch Powell anecdotes to the Native Maoris in NZ.

Last edited by agwa; Nov 13th 2003 at 3:10 am.

Old Nov 13th 2003, 3:17 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Aus is diverse in it's type of people who reside here. Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Iraqi's etc, etc.. if some of you are looking for a country that has no "black" immigrants perhaps you should step into a time machine and go back into nazi Germany.

I also would like to remind some of you that you as in Brit's (or what ever nationality you are supposed to be) will be the immigrants in Australia.. perhaps you wouldn't mind asking the Aborigines of Australia do they mind such white people in their country. Funny why some of you list all the immigrants in the UK as one of the reasons why you want to emigrate, when you yourself will be an immigrant in Australia.. or does that not count because you consider your British selves to be something special? You see nothing wrong with yourselves going to other countries to live, but you moan when foreigners who go to "your" Britain to live.. the word hypocrite springs to mind with some of these posts about" immigrants in Britain" Cheers.
P.S

In answer to the original topic:
Nothing made me snap, I for one think Britain is one of the best countries in the world.
I left Britain with the job and went to S.E Asia 11 years ago , then moved to Aus 6 years ago again with work (just to keep the thread on track). I will certainly be returning to the UK

cheers
Old Nov 13th 2003, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Some good stories there

Originally posted by agwa
Mine is that I just fancied giving it a go with My Australian girl.

Why not, only live once (which I regretfully found out last year). Try as much as possible whilst you're here.

Oh and Tooanfrom and Irish Guinness. I'm sure you won't be missed, it's just a shame that you had to take the attitude to others.

Kind of ironic that you are an immigrant too. Do you tell your Enoch Powell anecdotes to the Native Maoris in NZ.

lighten up agwa, have you ever lived in Brixton? I don't think so
I did for a short time had to get out while I could, there are great places around this world, but also sh!t holes Brixton was one of them.
could say a little like Redfern in Sydney.
just stating a fact.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The exact moment when.

Originally posted by Irish Guinness
I am British and proud of it
It's a common enough saying but what does it mean? Why are you proud to be British? It is, essentially, an accident of birth and arbitrary borders, after all.

Last edited by sofistek; Nov 13th 2003 at 6:43 am.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri

I also would like to remind some of you that you as in Brit's (or what ever nationality you are supposed to be) will be the immigrants in Australia.. perhaps you wouldn't mind asking the Aborigines of Australia do they mind such white people in their country. Funny why some of you list all the immigrants in the UK as one of the reasons why you want to emigrate, when you yourself will be an immigrant in Australia.. or does that not count because you consider your British selves to be something special? You see nothing wrong with yourselves going to other countries to live, but you moan when foreigners who go to "your" Britain to live.. the word hypocrite springs to mind with some of these posts about" immigrants in Britain" Cheers.
cheers

Ironic indeed> Odd I thought that those who hate people with a certain skin should choose to go and live in a Country where that skin is the one the native people have

The White Australia policy existed up to about what 1960? Thankfully OZ has now moved out of the dark ages.

And assumably all those who hate the immigrant situation in UK, wont be the first ones claiming down Centerlink here then

Talk about double standards.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Default Running away-too right!

Agwa-if somebody were to try and kill you because of your colour would you try to get away? There is no need to mention Enoch Powell in NZ--so far the natives seem friendly-even to the extent that two of my nephews are Maori and three are Samoan--believe me if they make a attempt on my life--Aussie here I come!
And as you seem to have raised the Racial/Ethnic minority card--I know all about being a "Non Person"--- The pecking order into the ovens in the 1940's was-Jews-Gypsies-Mentally handicapped -Polictico's.I am a full blooded Gypsy/Roma/Romani--or as you more enlightened people may care to call me--Didikoi-Gippo-Pikey but I tell you ,Sunbeam, you would not say it twice-not unless you like hospital food. Actually over here they don't give a Rotund Rodents Ringpiece that I am a Gypsy ,which is another reason why you are welcome to stay in the UK. And one last note--the Fire Brigade's sole reason for being is "Save life at the risk of your own-then property"--that is what we were trying to do at my "Exact Moment When"I decided to come here.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
When I read that, I realised it sums up the majority of points I have ever made on this forum. Is it the incredible distance, the cost making it unaccessable for many, what is it that leads people to believe such a mythical land exists?

How many debates have raged on this forum, with the positive for OZ being argued by some hallowed ground loyalist who has never set foot here?? It really is the most amazing thing.
Yes ok Dotty, but you didn't mention what moment of madness made you go to OZ

Something made you want to go to OZ, do you remember that fateful day
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:17 am
Badge

yes, please tell us, Dotty, please tell us!!!!

Badge

Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:22 am
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

For me it was a fat bald 40-something sitting opposite me on the 7:48 to Cannon St. I looked up from the laptop (working before I got to the office - sound familiar?) stared at this bloke and saw my future.

That night we decided to do something about it and eventually, nearly 3 years and loads of ideas, ended up in Freo.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Running away-too right!

Originally posted by Tooanfrom Rotund Rodents Ringpiece
Never heard that one before, loved it
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Anon E Mouse
For me it was a fat bald 40-something sitting opposite me on the 7:48 to Cannon St. I looked up from the laptop (working before I got to the office - sound familiar?) stared at this bloke and saw my future.

That night we decided to do something about it and eventually, nearly 3 years and loads of ideas, ended up in Freo.
Yea, but are you fat & baldor did the move sort that out for you?
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:36 am
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Yea, but are you fat & baldor did the move sort that out for you?
In the words of BaldButts, only on the parts that are waxed....
Old Nov 13th 2003, 10:37 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
Aus is diverse in it's type of people who reside here. Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Iraqi's etc, etc.. if some of you are looking for a country that has no "black" immigrants perhaps you should step into a time machine and go back into nazi Germany.

cheers

Well said Ceri!

another thing that made me think; people go on about being proud to be British/Whatever, but if you look round your home you will find most things are made abroad!! Whats so patriotic about owning a foreign car, most electrrical stuff made in far east, fabric stuff made in the east in sweatshops, even carpets and books are made/printed abroad these days!
Im not having a pop at ANYONE!- please dont start shouting at me - I just think its interesting when folk say things patriotic, but dont support 'their' (british/whatever) economy.
Perhaps you should be 'Proud of your heritage' !??

Sue

(now cowering under the japanese computer awaiting verbal assault!!)

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Nov 13th 2003 at 10:45 am.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

mh929 is an unknown quantity at this point

To respond to the original question, for myself and family it was something we had discussed in general terms but without any real conclusion as to whether to really go for it.

We then took a holiday in Aus, taking in Melbourne, Sydney, Brsibane and Cairns, did some small amount of research whilst we were there and came back to the UK having had a good time.

I said to Helen "Well, do you reckon you'd like to live there?". Her reply? "No - it just didn't do it for me".

Although I dearly wanted to, I didn't try to persuade her at all, knowing that if she didn't want it then it was not worth considering any further.

One month later, Helen says to me "You know, I REALLY want to go live in Aus. I had been hoping you would try to talk me round, but you didn't and I realised I was disappointed that you hadn't".

How crazy is that!

So that was it, we started the process, have had a few ups and downs, but now have our visas, with a new life due to start next year. Exciting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.