Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What made you decide to emigrate?

Wikiposts

What made you decide to emigrate?

Old May 18th 2004, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you decide to emigrate?

Originally posted by nickyc
They start threads and then reply to each other
isn't that the whole point of the forum?

You shouldnt knock people who want different things out of life to what you want. Some people want to live in Oz, and some people want to live in the UK. Big deal. What's important to you may not be important to them and vice-versa. And for every person who slags of Oz, there's someone else slagging off the UK.

The circumstances under which people return are as diverse as those for going....some returness are ex-migrants, some are returning from a period of overseas work, some are relationship-based, etc....it's not all about going to Oz and hating it. Some are returning after 10+ years in Oz, so it can't have been all bad.

Dolly daydream, good luck with your move. Looking at why people move back to the UK might make you think about things you hadn't previously considered, which is good....but the experience of living in Oz is different for everyone. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old May 18th 2004, 9:06 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be fooled - it's the same dozen or so people that post on that forum. There are a lot of posts, but they're all from the same people.

They start threads and then reply to each other - mostly saying the same thing over and over again.. lovely to be back in this nice brisk weather...lovely to have 99 varieties of yoghurt in the shops....lovely to be round the corner from Mum etc etc. But no way are they the majority!

I know hundreds of ex-British people who live in Australia and they all like it. Me included.
Fair comment Nickyc ....BUT......

Do you know you lot say the same thing....ooohhhh lovely weather, great beaches, nice pools. No, we are not the majority but we do count OK..don't dismiss us just because we are going back and don't try to demean people who are returning or have returned with comments as you stated above......each to their own.

Balance ok......good and bad. Lucky you for knowing hundreds of expats....you came out here along time ago didn't you!! Some people have formed most of their friendships etc back in the UK, leaving all that behind can be a big decision for people to make, apart from other issues. Emigration is a big step for anyone surely it's a good thing to see both sides.

Please try to be fair. You should perhaps inform yourself on why those people went home, some just aren't as lucky as you !!!....and no it's not because they can get 99 choices of yoghurts !!!Far from it.....

Pants...

Good luck to those who are trying to emigrate.!!

Last edited by Pants; May 18th 2004 at 10:20 pm.
Old May 18th 2004, 11:53 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pants

Do you know you lot say the same thing....ooohhhh lovely weather, great beaches, nice pools. No, we are not the majority but we do count OK..don't dismiss us just because we are going back and don't try to demean people who are returning or have returned with comments as you stated above......each to their own.

Balance ok......good and bad. Lucky you for knowing hundreds of expats....you came out here along time ago didn't you!! Some people have formed most of their friendships etc back in the UK, leaving all that behind can be a big decision for people to make, apart from other issues. Emigration is a big step for anyone surely it's a good thing to see both sides.

Please try to be fair. You should perhaps inform yourself on why those people went home, some just aren't as lucky as you !!!....and no it's not because they can get 99 choices of yoghurts !!!Far from it.....

Pants...

As far as I can see, noone has tried to denigrate people who are returning to the UK from Oz. As Hidden Paw pointed out in that well-balanced post, there can be many reasons for returning. I think it's just that a few people don't think things through properly before they embark on such a big move, and think that it's all going to be one long holiday. Remember that series 'A New life Down Under' that was on last year? I think a few of those people had that attitude, but reading this thread has made me think that most people have good reasons for going. It's also no disgrace to give something a try and admit it if things don't work out! But I did find that a few "whinging poms" who expected everything to be a perfect little England gave the rest of us a bad name. Luckily they are a very small minority.

I myself returned from Oz after 7 years due to the ill-health of my parents and my own relationship breakup. Now I'm going back again with a different husband and two small kids after 10 years. I'm a different person to who I was then, and I fully expect it to be as difficult or even more so that it was the first time when I was younger, more resilient, and had only myself to worry about. Even so I'm looking forward to it! And now we are definitely going - hubby got his visa yesterday! So in spite of my worries, excitement prevails and I think we'll be OK.

Best of luck to all of you who are going AND to all who have come back - because I know from experience that making the return trip can be just as difficult as going out there in the first place!

Last edited by treefrog; May 19th 2004 at 12:03 am.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:00 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by treefrog
As far as I can see, noone has tried to denigrate people who are returning to the UK from Oz. As Nickyc pointed out in that well-balanced post, there can be many reasons for returning. I think it's just that a few people don't think things through properly before they embark on such a big move, and think that it's all going to be one long holiday. Remember that series 'A New life Down Under' that was on last year? I think a few of those people had that attitude, but reading this thread has made me think that most people have good reasons for going. It's also no disgrace to give something a try and admit it if things don't work out! But I did find that a few "whinging poms" who expected everything to be a perfect little England gave the rest of us a bad name. Luckily they are a very small minority.

I myself returned from Oz after 7 years due to the ill-health of my parents and my own relationship breakup. Now I'm going back again with a different husband and two small kids after 10 years. I'm a different person to who I was then, and I fully expect it to be as difficult or even more so that it was the first time when I was younger, more resilient, and had only myself to worry about. Even so I'm looking forward to it! And now we are definitely going - hubby got his visa yesterday! So in spite of my worries, excitement prevails and I think we'll be OK.

Best of luck to all of you who are going AND to all who have come back - because I know from experience that making the return trip can be just as difficult as going out there in the first place!

Good luck...I think Hiddenpaw and myself sumed it up from our point of view also...

Last edited by Pants; May 19th 2004 at 12:04 am.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:06 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Good luck...I think Hiddenpaw and myself sumed it up from our point of view also...

Thanks.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:07 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can see, noone has tried to denigrate people who are returning to the UK from Oz. As Hidden Paw pointed out in that well-balanced post, there can be many reasons for returning. I think it's just that a few people don't think things through properly before they embark on such a big move, and think that it's all going to be one long holiday. Remember that series 'A New life Down Under' that was on last year? I think a few of those people had that attitude, but reading this thread has made me think that most people have good reasons for going. It's also no disgrace to give something a try and admit it if things don't work out! But I did find that a few "whinging poms" who expected everything to be a perfect little England gave the rest of us a bad name. Luckily they are a very small minority.

Very good post treefrog and congratulations on getting your visa! When do you think you'll be going?

D D
Old May 19th 2004, 12:23 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Many congrats on the birth of your baby daughter! Here's hoping she will make a great Aussie! Best wishes for the future.

PS - any chance of seeing a piccie?
Hiya Treefrog,

we are going to call her Sophie Emilie

Our first child, of hopefully several

Bye
Mmark
Attached Thumbnails What made you decide to emigrate?-sophie.jpg  
Old May 19th 2004, 12:30 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by DollyDaydream
Mark,

Firstly congratulations on the birth of your baby daughter. There is nothing more special in this world than the arrival of your first child. Hope your wife is OK & the birth not too traumatic (sorry if that sounds a bit personal but when you're a mum of 2 you empathise totally with a new mum!).

Life for you seems great and it sounds like you've got the right attitude to make it over in Australia (lucky you with your visa - when do plan on going and where?).

Good luck to you, your wife and your daughter (by the way, what did you name her?).

Take care

D D
Hiya D D,
sorry for the delay I had a boit of gardening to do!
(or should I refraze that, digging hoiles to move plants and clearing room for a shed. I was tired!!! )

We plan to validate before the September deadline, but probably seperately, one of us staying with Sophie.

We probably won't emmigrate fro a couple of years after our second child. (my wife's stipulation )

We are in no rush at the moment, just enjoying our baby.

Bye
Mark
Old May 19th 2004, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I do know why you're going back - I've seen your reasons many times - and the other returnees reasons also. That's fine, I don't have a problem with anyone doing whatever they want to do.

My point was only that almost all comments on the Returning to UK forum were from the same few people - so the uninitiated, new reader may well think that there are hundreds of you - when in practice there are only about a dozen.

And as for trying to demean you - I'm only quoting what I've seen written! There's a lovely thread started by someone talking about how nice it is to get cold water from a tap and to hear 'gentle' birds singing. (Shades of scraping the barrel there!) I did not imply or say that anyone was returning because you can get 99 varieties of yogurt there (although I have seen even you mention the choice of things in the shops as being something you're looking forward to). It was stated merely as an example of the perceived -er- benefits of returning to live in England, as viewed by the regular posters on that forum.

There really was a thread once on here about how dreadful it was that you couldn't get 99 varieties of yogurt (or something along those lines). 66 varieties apparantly was not enough! It amused me at the time....

Hope your move back goes well.

Pants...

Old May 19th 2004, 1:33 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Originally posted by DollyDaydream
Very good post treefrog and congratulations on getting your visa! When do you think you'll be going?

D D
Hi DD and thanks, we won't be going for a while, are planning on the beginning of January 05 at present. This is because I'm due to have our second sprog in the next few weeks and it'll be too young to travel, and also because my hubbie's mum has had cancer and we don't want to go until she is fully recovered. So we hope there are no nasty surprises between now and then!

I've been enjoying following this thread and seeing all the different viewpoints. Did you decide to go after all? If so, best of luck!
Old May 19th 2004, 1:43 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Originally posted by markeh
Hiya Treefrog,

we are going to call her Sophie Emilie

Our first child, of hopefully several

Bye
Mmark
Hi Mark,

Little Sophie is just totally gorgeous! Love the name too. Bet you are at that stage of spending hours just staring at her while she's asleep, wondering how you created such a marvel!

I'm due with our second in about 4 weeks and we were told at the scan it's another boy. (Our first is just approaching the terrible twos, so boy, am I worn out!) Hope he's as lovely as yours! we have no idea what to call him though - any ideas?

Best wishes to the three of you.
Old May 19th 2004, 3:18 am
Happy Daddy

Thanks alot. Good luck with your labour!

PS.You are wright about me watching her sleeping!I can't believe she is mine.I'm playing with her little hands

If we would have a boy we were going to call him Joshua.

Bye Mark
Old May 19th 2004, 3:18 am
Happy Daddy

PS.You are wright about me watching her sleeping!I can't believe she is mine.I'm playing with her little hands

Old May 19th 2004, 3:19 am
Happy Daddy

Bye Mark
Old May 19th 2004, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I do know why you're going back - I've seen your reasons many times - and the other returnees reasons also. That's fine, I don't have a problem with anyone doing whatever they want to do.

My point was only that almost all comments on the Returning to UK forum were from the same few people - so the uninitiated, new reader may well think that there are hundreds of you - when in practice there are only about a dozen.

And as for trying to demean you - I'm only quoting what I've seen written! There's a lovely thread started by someone talking about how nice it is to get cold water from a tap and to hear 'gentle' birds singing. (Shades of scraping the barrel there!) I did not imply or say that anyone was returning because you can get 99 varieties of yogurt there (although I have seen even you mention the choice of things in the shops as being something you're looking forward to). It was stated merely as an example of the perceived -er- benefits of returning to live in England, as viewed by the regular posters on that forum.

There really was a thread once on here about how dreadful it was that you couldn't get 99 varieties of yogurt (or something along those lines). 66 varieties apparantly was not enough! It amused me at the time....

Hope your move back goes well.
Nicky, I think the UK forum serves as a support group for many of us returnees. In the grand scheme of things yoghurts probably aren't that important. However, sometimes we just need encouragement that we are doing the right thing by moving back and that, yes, it will be great to shop at Tesco again.

From personal experience, and I know many returnees will agree, the decision to return to the UK is harder than the decision to leave it in the first place. This is probably something that you - and many other people on the forum - are not aware of as you haven't been in that situation. For me, it was a relief to discover the 'Moving back to UK' forum as it helped chat to like minded people who were able to reasure me that I wasnt the only one wanting to return to the UK. Before finding the forum I was persistently faced with comments along the lines of "why on earth would you want to return back to the UK?" - mainly from Aussies who had never even been outside of Australia and Brits who had never lived in Oz.

We all have our own reasons for returning, but even so, a bit of encouragement along the way really helps. If that means cooing about the great British countryside or how many yoghurts you can buy in Sainsbury then so be it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.