Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What luxurieswould you take to OZ?

What luxurieswould you take to OZ?

Old May 16th 2008, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Julesclarkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What luxurieswould you take to OZ?

If you could wish for anything to have from the UK what would it be? Chocolates, toiletries, clothes???

Im emigrating to OZ in less than three weeks and want to know if theres anything I should take that i am bound to miss from home?

Any advise would be welcome!! Thanks
Old May 16th 2008, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

tipp1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What luxurieswould you take to OZ?

Jaffa Cakes...
Old May 16th 2008, 4:20 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Bedding is a big one that gets mentioned a hell of a lot - I've started to get a collection already - decent towels too.
Old May 16th 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

lots of PG tips t bags, bisto gravy granules, colmans mint sauce,lots of mc vities choccy biccies.these are my main items I missed whilst in OZ, I could go on and on, you do adapt, you dont starve BUT you do miss your familiar foods of the UK.

bluekipper
Old May 16th 2008, 4:25 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Its not a luxury but don't forget your extension leads!
Old May 16th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

seawasp is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep reading about bedding being a problem. What is it with bedding and towels? Is it the quality, the price, the size?

I thought with China being so close, textiles should be cheap and cheerful
Old May 16th 2008, 7:35 pm
Mauled by the Tigers

Willerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura about

Prawn Cocktail Crisps......... We are taking a load of tubes of the new Pringles version when we go in July, although we will be taking one less tube as i have just sat here eating them....
Old May 16th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Central Heating
Old May 16th 2008, 9:46 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
Bedding is a big one that gets mentioned a hell of a lot - I've started to get a collection already - decent towels too.

That's ok if you are taking your own beds but otherwise the Queens size ie 5ft bed is a bit bigger here.
Old May 16th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Its not a luxury but don't forget your extension leads!
Why would you bring extension leads. Bunnings sell them by the truck load and they are very cheap.

If it is so you dont have to change the plugs on your electrical devices, sooner or later they will have to be changed so go and buy a box full of plugs and get them done straight away.

Barney
Old May 16th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: What luxuries would you take to OZ?

Originally Posted by Julesclarkey
If you could wish for anything to have from the UK what would it be? Chocolates, toiletries, clothes???

Im emigrating to OZ in less than three weeks and want to know if theres anything I should take that i am bound to miss from home?
  • Family
  • Friends
  • The Local Pub, with a cellar full of real ale
  • Proximity to Europe
  • A taxi driver who knows where s/he's going
  • Apostrophes

Originally Posted by Julesclarkey
Any advise would be welcome!!
The best advice I could give to anyone moving abroad is expect it to be different. You'll settle in to your new home much easier if you don't compare it to your old one, but enjoy what the new one has to offer.

That said, if you could pick up a packet of Fruit Pastilles on your way over, that would be great!
Old May 16th 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
If it is so you don't have to change the plugs on your electrical devices, sooner or later they will have to be changed so go and buy a box full of plugs and get them done straight away.
It's handy having a couple of four-gang extension leads around the kitchen or study for things where changing the plugs is non-trivial. Examples I can think of are things like battery chargers, mobile phone chargers and things with transformers built onto the back of the plug.

If you have a laptop, I recommend buying a new lead for the section between the wall and the transformer, these are pretty cheap in Dick Smith's and it means that you can keep your UK connector for when you travel to the UK (or UAE, HK, ...) without carrying an adaptor.

Of course for those with Macs, the Apple Worldwide Travel Kit is a thing of beauty and a joy forever!

--paj
Old May 16th 2008, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Some family photos in frames, to dot around until your furniture arrives Just a couple of familiar things made all the difference.

My sister made up a fantastic little album in which she had wrote all these great things and put a couple of my favorite pictures in very light frames (she was more worried about the baggage allowance than me!) It was so lovely
Old May 17th 2008, 12:07 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Any fave creams or potions from Boots esp the less obvious brands and their own brands (i.e. Botanics, The sanctuary range etc).

Lots of Primark cashmere jumpers! Nowhere in Aus u can get one for anywhere remotely near 30 quid.
Old May 17th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

$500,000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.